soundout question

luis antunes pena-2
Hello list,
I have two questions concerning soundout:
- is there anyway to create AIFF files or is it always headless file?
- is it possible to create a stereo file using soundout? if not, which
opcode can be used for it?

Thanks,

Luis

(using Shell Csound Version 4.23f03 for mac)

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: soundout question

Istvan Varga
Luis Antunes Pena wrote:

> I have two questions concerning soundout:
> - is there anyway to create AIFF files or is it always headless file?

You can use the fout opcodes which allow for using the same header
type as the output file (-o), so with the -A flag fout would write
an AIFF file. Not sure if this feature works in older versions of
Csound, though.

> - is it possible to create a stereo file using soundout? if not, which
> opcode can be used for it?

There is a soundouts opcode, but it is only implemented in Csound 5.
Other than that, fout can also write stereo files.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: soundout question

luis antunes pena-2
Thank you. It is not working for me with fout and 4.23f03, so I'll try
csound 5.
Another thing:
I am having an error when trying to pass a string to a i-variable
something like:
ifilcod = "file1.aiff"
is this impossible in csound?

and:

when using fout: the number of channels of the fout must be the same than
the global variable nchnls?

Thanks again.

Luis

Luis Antunes Pena wrote:

> I am having an error when trying to pass a string to a i-variable
> something like:
> ifilcod = "file1.aiff"
> is this impossible in csound?

No, you cannot assign a string to an i-rate variable, but Csound 5 has a
variable type 'S' for this purpose:

Sfilcod = "file1.aiff"

Alternatively, you can add something like this to the orchestra header:

strset 1, "file1.aiff"

and then most sound I/O opcodes will open "file1.aiff" if you set ifilcod
to 1:

ifilcod = 1
a1 soundin ifilcod
a2 soundin 1
a3 soundin "file1.aiff"
a4 soundin Sfilcod

in the above example, all soundin opcodes will read "file1.aiff".

> when using fout: the number of channels of the fout must be the same than
> the global variable nchnls?

No, it does not need to be the same as nchnls.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: soundout question

Matt Ingalls-4

the latest version of maccsound i have a bunch of improvements to fout
opcode as dr boulanger was needing ways to strip 5.1 files as a maccsound
effecdt (which uses -i for input file on commandline) -- added support to
use the sample/header format specified on commandline and some automatic
name stuff too...

cant remember if i checked into cvs or not -- when i get back from on
tour i will check it out..

-m

  22 Aug 2005, Istvan Varga wrote:

> Luis Antunes Pena wrote:
>
>> I have two questions concerning soundout:
>> - is there anyway to create AIFF files or is it always headless file?
>
> You can use the fout opcodes which allow for using the same header
> type as the output file (-o), so with the -A flag fout would write
> an AIFF file. Not sure if this feature works in older versions of
> Csound, though.
>
>> - is it possible to create a stereo file using soundout? if not, which
>> opcode can be used for it?
>
> There is a soundouts opcode, but it is only implemented in Csound 5.
> Other than that, fout can also write stereo files.
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: soundout question

luis antunes pena-2
Istvan: great improvements! Thanks for your answer. I'll install csound 5.

Matt: if you have any documentation about fout in Maccsound it would be
great to have access to it.
The stuff with the automatic name is also very useful!

Luis