Quantcast

repair BlueShare insruments and effects

menno
Hi Steven,

now that i have started Blue intensively i find that most BluesShare Instruments and Effects produce errors due to the fact that at one point parameters were not automatable anymore, but in fact are simply i statements.
I can do the repairs if you agree.
Is there a way that i can clean up this repository? I would not like to have my name attached to all those instruments, because i repair them, but i did not design them.
What do you think?

bye,
Menno

Re: repair BlueShare insruments and effects

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

I've wondered what's the best solution for this.  I think in the new
blueShare, it would be a system for implementing forks, so that users
could create a fork and mark it as a fork from another instrument.
That way a situation like this would be addressed by someone creating
a fixed-up instrument and submitting as a fork, and when browsing the
original it would show that there were forked versions.  This kind of
system is implemented with projects in Github, and seems to make sense
here.  Thoughts?  (Also, I plan to add comments to
instruments/effects, which could also be helpful)

On Sat, Jan 19, 2013 at 2:29 PM, menno <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> now that i have started Blue intensively i find that most BluesShare
> Instruments and Effects produce errors due to the fact that at one point
> parameters were not automatable anymore, but in fact are simply i
> statements.
> I can do the repairs if you agree.
> Is there a way that i can clean up this repository? I would not like to have
> my name attached to all those instruments, because i repair them, but i did
> not design them.
> What do you think?
>
> bye,
> Menno

Re: repair BlueShare insruments and effects

menno
I think that if an instrument does not work (anymore), a working (repaired or new) instrument should be the only one available in BlueShare. Who needs an instrument that does not work?
Perhaps we can update the version number, for example from 1.2 to 1.3 and add a comment about the fixes and the reason why it has been fixed (=Blue has changed).
I can put my name there in the comment as well as the person who did the fix, for later reference or critic.

If i fix an instrument/effect, will my name - because i upload the instr. - be the one that is visible or can i put in the original creator? ( i hope the latter...)

Re: repair BlueShare insruments and effects

Steven Yi
I understand the motivation and desire for a single instrument, but on
the other hand, I don't like the idea of editing things by others
without permission.  There is another possibility to implement a
contribution like a project, and grant access to others to upload
versions. Also, I'd like to add a versioning system to blueShare as
well, so these might all coincide to work together.

I'm not sure yet what's the best solution.  I think some more
brainstorming here would be good. :)