realtime granulation example

Victor Lazzarini
Here's one solution. It doesn't get rid of all discontinuities,
but it tries. It is a hard thing to do when time-stretching/compressing.

Victor

Victor Lazzarini
Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

syncgrain2.csd (1K) Download Attachment

Re: realtime granulation example

Hector Centeno-Garcia
Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Here's one solution. It doesn't get rid of all discontinuities,
> but it tries. It is a hard thing to do when time-stretching/compressing.
>
> Victor
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Music Technology Laboratory
> Music Department
> National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Thank you. Is it possible to avoid the discontinuities if granulation
without time-stretching/compressing is desired?
I guess it is all about synchronizing the tablew pointer and the
syncgrain pointer so they run at the same speed without crossing.

cheers,

hector
Send bugs reports to this list.

Hector Centeno wrote:

> Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>
>> Here's one solution. It doesn't get rid of all discontinuities,
>> but it tries. It is a hard thing to do when time-stretching/compressing.
>>
>> Victor
>>
>> Victor Lazzarini
>> Music Technology Laboratory
>> Music Department
>> National University of Ireland, Maynooth
>

> Thank you. Is it possible to avoid the discontinuities if granulation
> without time-stretching/compressing is desired?
> I guess it is all about synchronizing the tablew pointer and the
> syncgrain pointer so they run at the same speed without crossing.
>

> cheers,
>

> hector

ok, I substituted tablewa with tablew (indexed with phasor, as in your
file) in my example and now seems to be working fine. Maybe the problem
was caused by tablewa as it writes to the table in k-rate and tablew
does it in a-rate.

thanks a lot, I'm still learning.

hector

Hector Centeno wrote:

> Hector Centeno wrote:
>
>> Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>
>>> Here's one solution. It doesn't get rid of all discontinuities,
>>> but it tries. It is a hard thing to do when
>>> time-stretching/compressing.
>>>
>>> Victor
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Music Technology Laboratory
>>> Music Department
>>> National University of Ireland, Maynooth
>>

>> Thank you. Is it possible to avoid the discontinuities if granulation
>> without time-stretching/compressing is desired?
>> I guess it is all about synchronizing the tablew pointer and the
>> syncgrain pointer so they run at the same speed without crossing.
>>

>> cheers,
>>

>> hector
>

> ok, I substituted tablewa with tablew (indexed with phasor, as in your
> file) in my example and now seems to be working fine. Maybe the
> problem was caused by tablewa as it writes to the table in k-rate and
> tablew does it in a-rate.
>
> thanks a lot, I'm still learning.
>

> hector

anyway... the clicking and buzzing is gone but as I increase the grain
density the discontinuities appear. It would be very nice to have a
granular synthesis opcode for working in real-time...

cheers,

hector
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: realtime granulation example

I remember now I had actually improved my last
example, by adding a window (envelope) to the
table writing, so that the ends of the table were
faded out. You can do it by using a table reading
to  read the envelope in sync with the writing.

I have to look for the code, but it's a simple thing to
implement.

Victor