real-time granular synthesis

Hector Centeno-Garcia
Hello,

I'm using the following instrument for granulation of a zak stream:

kstart         init        0
asig        zar        3
kstart        tablewa        10, asig, 0
iolaps         =        1
igrsize        =        .5
ifreq        =        iolaps/igrsize
agrain        syncgrain        1, ifreq, 1, igrsize, .25, 10, 11, iolap
        outs        agrain, agrain
        zacl        3, 3

table 10 and 11 are defined this way:
f 10 0 2048     17 0 0
f 11 0 512     -19 1 .5 270 .5

sr=44100
ksmps=10

The zak channel contains audio generated in real-time. It is almost
working but I get constant clicks and sometimes a buzz (this buzz seems
to be related to the point where tablewa returns to the beginning of the
table).

What could be the problem?

thank you!

Hector
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: real-time granular synthesis

Hector Centeno-Garcia
Hector Centeno wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using the following instrument for granulation of a zak stream:
>
> kstart         init        0
> asig        zar        3   kstart        tablewa        10, asig, 0
> iolaps         =        1
> igrsize        =        .5
> ifreq        =        iolaps/igrsize
> agrain        syncgrain        1, ifreq, 1, igrsize, .25, 10, 11, iolap
>        outs        agrain, agrain
>        zacl        3, 3
>
> table 10 and 11 are defined this way:
> f 10 0 2048     17 0 0
> f 11 0 512     -19 1 .5 270 .5
>
> sr=44100
> ksmps=10
>
> The zak channel contains audio generated in real-time. It is almost
> working but I get constant clicks and sometimes a buzz (this buzz
> seems to be related to the point where tablewa returns to the
> beginning of the table).
>
> What could be the problem?
>
> thank you!
>

> Hector

Ok, I will rephrase the whole thing so maybe someone can help me. I
found that the main problem for granular synthesis in real-time using
the tablewa opcode is the synchronization of both the writing to the
table and the reading. I'm still trying to achieve this but I was
wondering if anyone has a working instrument to share, any instrument
that does something similar (real-time granular synthesis).

thanks a lot and sorry if my previous email was not clear.

Hector.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: real-time granular synthesis

Perhaps you need to increase the number of overlapped grains. Try 2 instead of
1 (1 will not generate overlapped streams). I can't see anything else at a
first
look. Why use zak? Your problem might be there (I'm not very familiar with it
to spot a problem straight away).

Victor

At 19:57 15/09/2005, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm using the following instrument for granulation of a zak stream:
>
>kstart         init        0
>asig        zar        3
>kstart        tablewa        10, asig, 0
>iolaps         =        1
>igrsize        =        .5
>ifreq        =        iolaps/igrsize
>agrain        syncgrain        1, ifreq, 1, igrsize, .25, 10, 11, iolap
>        outs        agrain, agrain
>        zacl        3, 3
>
>table 10 and 11 are defined this way:
>f 10 0 2048     17 0 0
>f 11 0 512     -19 1 .5 270 .5
>
>sr=44100
>ksmps=10
>
>The zak channel contains audio generated in real-time. It is almost
>working but I get constant clicks and sometimes a buzz (this buzz seems to
>be related to the point where tablewa returns to the beginning of the table).
>
>What could be the problem?
>
>thank you!
>

>Hector
>--
>Send bugs reports to this list.

Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

--
Send bugs reports to this list.