problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Michael Andersson

Hello list.

I have just recently installed blue for the first time, and I think it’s great and a really useful aid in csound composition.

The only version I have ever tried is 2.6.1 (which I installed from the zip-file) on an up to date 64-bit fedora 24.

I installed Oracle jdk1.8_121 from the rpm on their website (jdk-8u121-linux-x64.rpm)

I installed csound and csound-java (API) from the fedora repos, versions 6.03.2

It seems to mostly work fine, I am using Csound 6 API as render method and blue live lets me control BSB widgets in real time.

I am having a few issues though. They are mostly minor annoyances that I can work around, but I just wanted to check if anyone on this list have any pointers into what could be causing them.

  1. The F1 key doesn’t bring up csound help for opcodes when cursor over opcode name
  2. The right-click menu in the orchestra editor contains an entry named ‘custom’ which does nothing.
  3. The ‘add to code repository’ right click menu item does not add the selected code to the code repository.
  4. The categories and code snippets added to the code repository via the code repository editor are not accessible from anywhere on the right click menu in the orchestra instrument editor.
  5. If I add an audio layer group to the score timeline csound refuses to compile and gives an error, when I remove the audio layer group it compiles again.
  6. When I do as suggested in the manual and put a sound object in the sound object library and then copy instances of that onto the timeline I get very noticeable time skips between each instance, something I do not get if I just copy the object on the timeline using ctrl+d or ctrl+r

I have searched through the list archives as well as the open issues on github but I haven’t seen anyone else complain about these things.

So if anyone here has any ideas as to what may be causing these issues I would appreciate any pointers.

Best

M. Anderson

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

Thanks and welcome!

Regarding questions, I will try to answer in-line below:

> The F1 key doesn’t bring up csound help for opcodes when cursor over opcode
> name

Interesting, I wonder if this is something I had implemented a long
time ago but no longer do. The way I usually bring up opcode help
these days is to start typing in the name of an opcode then press
ctrl-space.  This should show an auto-complete popup that you can
scroll through with your arrow keys to choose amongst possible
options. It will also show the reference manual entry there in the
popup for the opcode, and there should be a button in that popup to
open the ref page in an external browser.  Have you tried this option?

> The right-click menu in the orchestra editor contains an entry named
> ‘custom’ which does nothing.

This is a bug. The custom menu option should populate with the entries
added to the code repository. I have fixed this now in the current
development version of Blue

> The ‘add to code repository’ right click menu item does not add the selected
> code to the code repository.

This was working, but the Custom menu was not.  The above fix now
reflects additions to code repository.

> The categories and code snippets added to the code repository via the code
> repository editor are not accessible from anywhere on the right click menu
> in the orchestra instrument editor.

It's the Custom menu option, mentioned above.

> If I add an audio layer group to the score timeline csound refuses to
> compile and gives an error, when I remove the audio layer group it compiles
> again.

This may be something I fixed in the current development version of
Blue (available at http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip).  The
zip I've uploaded there just now has the code repository fix. It's
getting close to release time for 2.7.0 and it's reasonably stable
now, but may still have issues as I'm going through and re-testing and
polishing things. I'd say if you're interested and willing, feedback
on it would be welcome.  If not, just wait a week or two for the
release.

> When I do as suggested in the manual and put a sound object in the sound
> object library and then copy instances of that onto the timeline I get very
> noticeable time skips between each instance, something I do not get if I
> just copy the object on the timeline using ctrl+d or ctrl+r

Do you perhaps have an example .blue file you could send me to test
and diagnose?

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Michael Andersson
Hi Steven.

Thanks for your quick reply.

First of all, apologies, after reading the manual I was under the impression that F1 and ctrl+space did different jobs, I may have read a manual from an older version of blue, anyway I understand now and ctrl+space works just fine. Also, regarding audio skips between instances in sound object library, I was trying to repeat instances of a pattern object, and I had misunderstood the use of the ghost note, which was very well explained in the manual, so that was just me doing sloppy reading.

I have now tried the blue_2.7.0_dev.zip.
I really like the addition of the user soundobject library, and just
to be clear, I think you've done an amazing job on blue. Csound with blue is such a pleasant experience, so thank you.

Several of the issues I mentioned do remain on my machine though:

1. After renaming my ~/.blue folder and starting blue fresh it is very difficult to add either groups or code snippets in the code repository editor. I had the same problem with 2.6.1. Somehow I managed to do it in both versions after many attempts. The popup menu shows up with the entries to add group and add snippet, but clicking them does nothing, until suddenly it does, if that makes any sense.

2. The 'custom' rt-click entry still does nothing.

3. The 'add to code repository' rt-click menu item in 2.7.0_dev apparently does add selected code snippets to the repository, but the changes do not show in the code repository editor until I quit blue and restart it.

4. Adding an audio layer group to the score timeline still causes csound to refuse to render and giving an error message. (see attachment)

5. Freezing a soundobject causes csound to refuse to render and give an error message, unfreezing makes everything work again. The duration of the frozen object on the timeline gets much shorter and is given strangely unrounded floating point number.
After looking in the working directory I found that the frozen files exist and are playable, but they just are not loaded into the csound instrument for some reason. I have put the error message in the attachment.

(6.) The import UDO dialog does not bring up a udo library, but it doesn't look like this is an error, but rather an intentional redesign?

As I said in my first mail, all of the above issues can be worked around, so I will still be using blue if they don't get fixed right away, that said, it would be very nice if freezing could be made to work.

In the attachment are
1. The complete blue application log from a clean startup of blue.
2. The error that csound gives when there is an audio layer group in the score.
3. The application log output after a null pointer exception occured when I tried to add groups and snippets to the code repository in the code repository editor.
4. The application log output (2 lines) after freezing a soundobject.
5. The error message that csound outputs when there is a frozen soundobject on the score timeline.

I hope those can be of some small use to you, it just now occured to me that I forgot to add the generated csd:s that went with the csound errors, if you would have any use for those, let me know.

Regards

Michael

errors_and_logs.tar (54K) Download Attachment

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

Thanks for the detailed feedback and logs. I just ran through and I
see now what you're talking about for the Code Repository dialog. I
had been testing just using the popup menus which are working here,
but I can reproduce the issues for the Tools->Code Repository option.
I'll do some debugging today and will post another build once those
are fixed up.

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM, Michael Andersson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> 1. The complete blue application log from a clean startup of blue.
> 2. The error that csound gives when there is an audio layer group in the
> score.
> 3. The application log output after a null pointer exception occured when I
> tried to add groups and snippets to the code repository in the code
> repository editor.
> 4. The application log output (2 lines) after freezing a soundobject.
> 5. The error message that csound outputs when there is a frozen soundobject
> on the score timeline.
>
> I hope those can be of some small use to you, it just now occured to me that
> I forgot to add the generated csd:s that went with the csound errors, if you
> would have any use for those, let me know.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

I think I have things fixed  up. The Code Repository code took a while
to go through as it is very old (probably haven't touched it much
since it was first done some 15 years ago :P).  I think things should
be working now as one would expect, and I fixed drag and drop for it
too.  For AudioLayers, the issue there was that you are using Csound
6.03.2, which I guess doesn't have while-loops. I converted the fade
code used by Blue to use until-loops instead, which should hopefully
run there now.  Import of UDOs did change for 2.7.0, so that's as
planned.  Also, I just realized you had an issue with Freezing
objects.  Could you send me a copy of a .blue project that has the
problem?  I didn't see anything in the logs that would hint at an
issue.

The latest dev build has the changes mentioned above:

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> 1. The complete blue application log from a clean startup of blue.
>> 2. The error that csound gives when there is an audio layer group in the
>> score.
>> 3. The application log output after a null pointer exception occured when I
>> tried to add groups and snippets to the code repository in the code
>> repository editor.
>> 4. The application log output (2 lines) after freezing a soundobject.
>> 5. The error message that csound outputs when there is a frozen soundobject
>> on the score timeline.
>>
>> I hope those can be of some small use to you, it just now occured to me that
>> I forgot to add the generated csd:s that went with the csound errors, if you
>> would have any use for those, let me know.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Michael

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

I quickly tested the version you linked. The Code Repository now works as intended here, so that's great, you fixed it very fast considering the age of the code. The audio layer and freeze problems remain.
Your changes to the audio layer code got rid of the previous 'while' error, but unfortunately I now get another error message from csound about some missing opcode, and it still will not compile. The freeze problem causes the same error message as before.

I have attached the error messages for the two errors, the very simple project I used to cause the errors, the csd:s that generated the errors and the full applog (which may not contain any new information, but just in case).

Best regards

Michael

error_test_info.tar (68K) Download Attachment

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

So both of those look like issues particular to the version of Csound
you are using.  I've made one change that I think should work for
AudioLayers, but the problem with freezing looks like it has to do
with score events with strings. (Both of those don't cause problems
here with a newer version of Csound, so I think it must be due to bugs
that were fixed in the past few years, as 6.03 came out in 2014.) I
think what would be best is if you could install a newer version of
Csound.  There should be some available in package repos with newer
packages, or you could compile and install Csound there.  Otherwise,
this last build I've put online
(http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip) should hopefully work
with AudioLayers at least. (Then again, maybe not, as I think it's
using strings for filenames in score there too.)

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Michael Andersson
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> I quickly tested the version you linked. The Code Repository now works as
> intended here, so that's great, you fixed it very fast considering the age
> of the code. The audio layer and freeze problems remain.
> Your changes to the audio layer code got rid of the previous 'while' error,
> but unfortunately I now get another error message from csound about some
> missing opcode, and it still will not compile. The freeze problem causes the
> same error message as before.
>
> I have attached the error messages for the two errors, the very simple
> project I used to cause the errors, the csd:s that generated the errors and
> the full applog (which may not contain any new information, but just in
> case).
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I think I have things fixed  up. The Code Repository code took a while
>> to go through as it is very old (probably haven't touched it much
>> since it was first done some 15 years ago :P).  I think things should
>> be working now as one would expect, and I fixed drag and drop for it
>> too.  For AudioLayers, the issue there was that you are using Csound
>> 6.03.2, which I guess doesn't have while-loops. I converted the fade
>> code used by Blue to use until-loops instead, which should hopefully
>> run there now.  Import of UDOs did change for 2.7.0, so that's as
>> planned.  Also, I just realized you had an issue with Freezing
>> objects.  Could you send me a copy of a .blue project that has the
>> problem?  I didn't see anything in the logs that would hint at an
>> issue.
>>
>> The latest dev build has the changes mentioned above:
>>
>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Michael,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the detailed feedback and logs. I just ran through and I
>> > see now what you're talking about for the Code Repository dialog. I
>> > had been testing just using the popup menus which are working here,
>> > but I can reproduce the issues for the Tools->Code Repository option.
>> > I'll do some debugging today and will post another build once those
>> > are fixed up.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > steven

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Michael Andersson
Hi Steven,

I understand. I will try to compile and install latest Csound from source
and see if that fixes my problems.
Thank you very much for taking the time with this.

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> I quickly tested the version you linked. The Code Repository now works
> as intended here, so that's great, you fixed it very fast considering
> the age of the code. The audio layer and freeze problems remain.
> Your changes to the audio layer code got rid of the previous 'while'
> error, but unfortunately I now get another error message from csound
> about some missing opcode, and it still will not compile. The freeze
> problem causes the same error message as before.
>
> I have attached the error messages for the two errors, the very simple
> project I used to cause the errors, the csd:s that generated the
> errors and the full applog (which may not contain any new information,
> but just in case).
>
> Best regards
>
> Michael
>
> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 7:04 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I think I have things fixed  up. The Code Repository code took a
>> while to go through as it is very old (probably haven't touched it
>> much since it was first done some 15 years ago :P).  I think things
>> should be working now as one would expect, and I fixed drag and drop
>> for it too.  For AudioLayers, the issue there was that you are using
>> Csound 6.03.2, which I guess doesn't have while-loops. I converted
>> the fade code used by Blue to use until-loops instead, which should
>> hopefully run there now.  Import of UDOs did change for 2.7.0, so
>> that's as planned.  Also, I just realized you had an issue with
>> Freezing objects.  Could you send me a copy of a .blue project that
>> has the problem?  I didn't see anything in the logs that would hint
>> at an issue.
>>
>> The latest dev build has the changes mentioned above:
>>
>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 10:59 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi Michael,
>> >
>> > Thanks for the detailed feedback and logs. I just ran through and I
>> > see now what you're talking about for the Code Repository dialog. I
>> > had been testing just using the popup menus which are working here,
>> > but I can reproduce the issues for the Tools->Code Repository option.
>> > I'll do some debugging today and will post another build once those
>> > are fixed up.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > steven

Re: problems with blue 2.6.1 running on fedora 24

Steven Yi
Hopefully that works out; if you have issues compiling Csound, feel
free to email me off list and I can help out there too.