[ot] Counterpointer

12

[ot] Counterpointer

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I came across a product anouncement at a conference for this software last fall:

http://www.ars-nova.com/counterpointer.html

but I only just found out that it was released a month or so ago.  It
is training software for practicing counterpoint.  I've been very
interested to practice counterpoint with such a program for a while
and went ahead and purchased it last night.  Pretty neat!  The UI is a
bit awkward to understand at first but it's easy to learn and I have
been enjoying practicing with it.

I thought I'd mention it if anyone should be interested.  Also, if
anyone knows of any other software specifically for counterpoint like
this, please let me know, as I haven't come across anything like it.

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Marc Demers
Hi Steven,

There is this site where you can learn the basic of counterpoint (only in
French, Spanish, Italian, Galician and Dutch).

But Michel Baron has done a fine job to produce this little ?counterpoint
101? site.

- mdd

http://membres.lycos.fr/mbaron/

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Marc Demers
Hi Steven,

I have a silly question. I have bought two days ago a new laptop with
Windows XP and how I have to install Csound 4.23? If I look in the Csound
manual there is a link for Windows 95/98/2000 but no explanations for XP (
http://www.csounds.com/installing/howtowindows/index.html). Also, there is
not autoexec.bat file in XP (as my Windows ME desktop, I have not found one
if there is any). Can you help because I would like to install 4.23 on my
laptop (I have already install Csound 5 and Blue).

Regards,

- mdd

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

David Akbari

On Jul 10, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Marc Demers wrote:

> If I look in the Csound
> manual there is a link for Windows 95/98/2000 but no explanations for
> XP (
> http://www.csounds.com/installing/howtowindows/index.html).

Windows XP would be using either CsoundAV or the commandline 4.23 - the
WinSound distribution from Bath University AFAIK does not run under XP.
The instructions are still valid for Windows 95/98/2000.

I don't have an XP box here right now, but I have access to one at work
(I can do some testing on Monday). Basically the point of editing the
autoexec.bat file is to define the environment variables that Csound
will use. You may be able to set this by way of .csoundrc file. On unix
the command to set environment variables is "setenv"; as I am uncertain
what the Windows equivalent of this is, maybe one of the Windows
developers can share more insight than I have offered in the scope of
this email.

You might also run a "csound --help" for the long help so you can see
if there's a commandline flag you can use to set the environment
variables. (for example --opcode-lib=%path%) If you can do it on
Windows by way of commandline, then surely you can encapsulate the
string to your .csoundrc file.

> Also, there is
> not autoexec.bat file in XP (as my Windows ME desktop, I have not
> found one
> if there is any). Can you help because I would like to install 4.23 on
> my
> laptop (I have already install Csound 5 and Blue).

Windows XP and ME no longer make use of a global system CONFIG.SYS and
AUTOEXEC.BAT file, however there may be an equivalent in your \shell
subdirectory of C:\Windows - wherever the COMMAND.COM lives.

Hope this helps,

-David

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Marc Demers
Hi David,

On Windows ME we have an autoexec.bat file that we can edit. But if CsoundAV
run well on XP I will use it (I already run it on my ME). I will make some
test and give you some news. Thanks for the fast (quite fast indeed).

Regards,

- mdd

>From: David Akbari <[hidden email]>
>To: [hidden email]
>Subject: Re: [Csnd] [ot] Counterpointer
>Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:03:57 -0400
>

>On Jul 10, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Marc Demers wrote:
>
>>If I look in the Csound
>>manual there is a link for Windows 95/98/2000 but no explanations for XP (
>>http://www.csounds.com/installing/howtowindows/index.html).
>
>Windows XP would be using either CsoundAV or the commandline 4.23 - the
>WinSound distribution from Bath University AFAIK does not run under XP. The
>instructions are still valid for Windows 95/98/2000.
>
>I don't have an XP box here right now, but I have access to one at work (I
>can do some testing on Monday). Basically the point of editing the
>autoexec.bat file is to define the environment variables that Csound will
>use. You may be able to set this by way of .csoundrc file. On unix the
>command to set environment variables is "setenv"; as I am uncertain what
>the Windows equivalent of this is, maybe one of the Windows developers can
>share more insight than I have offered in the scope of this email.
>
>You might also run a "csound --help" for the long help so you can see if
>there's a commandline flag you can use to set the environment variables.
>(for example --opcode-lib=%path%) If you can do it on Windows by way of
>commandline, then surely you can encapsulate the string to your .csoundrc
>file.
>
>>Also, there is
>>not autoexec.bat file in XP (as my Windows ME desktop, I have not found
>>one
>>if there is any). Can you help because I would like to install 4.23 on my
>>laptop (I have already install Csound 5 and Blue).
>
>Windows XP and ME no longer make use of a global system CONFIG.SYS and
>AUTOEXEC.BAT file, however there may be an equivalent in your \shell
>subdirectory of C:\Windows - wherever the COMMAND.COM lives.
>
>Hope this helps,
>

>-David
>
>--
>Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

abhunkin
Marc,

Go to http://www.csounds.com and click on Execs. Select either CsoundAV or
4.23f13gbs.0. If the latter, download and open either the 32-bit .exe (GUI)
or the console .zip version.

Unless you're using specialized libraries, just work from where you've
installed Csound and you shouldn't have any problems. I've never needed to
specify any special directories for my routine work.

Art Hunkins

> I have a silly question. I have bought two days ago a new laptop with
> Windows XP and how I have to install Csound 4.23? If I look in the Csound
> manual there is a link for Windows 95/98/2000 but no explanations for XP (
> http://www.csounds.com/installing/howtowindows/index.html). Also, there is
> not autoexec.bat file in XP (as my Windows ME desktop, I have not found
one

> if there is any). Can you help because I would like to install 4.23 on my
> laptop (I have already install Csound 5 and Blue).
>
> Regards,
>
> - mdd

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Marc Demers
Already done.

Regards,

- mdd

> 4.23f13gbs.0. If the latter, download and open either the 32-bit .exe
(GUI)

> or the console .zip version.
>
> Unless you're using specialized libraries, just work from where you've
> installed Csound and you shouldn't have any problems. I've never needed to
> specify any special directories for my routine work.
>
> Art Hunkins

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Chuckk Hubbard
Winsound runs on XP for me.  It crashes from time to time, but it
runs.  Looking now it says v4.23f12.  I deleted my original download
file, possibly a mistake.  I can tell you there's nothing in the
folder but winsound.exe, winsound64.exe, and winsound.dsp.  I don't
use it much anymore, and I don't recall how I set it up.

-Chuckk

On 7/10/05, David Akbari <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jul 10, 2005, at 7:39 PM, Marc Demers wrote:
>
> > If I look in the Csound
> > manual there is a link for Windows 95/98/2000 but no explanations for
> > XP (
> > http://www.csounds.com/installing/howtowindows/index.html).
>
> Windows XP would be using either CsoundAV or the commandline 4.23 - the
> WinSound distribution from Bath University AFAIK does not run under XP.
> The instructions are still valid for Windows 95/98/2000.
>
> I don't have an XP box here right now, but I have access to one at work
> (I can do some testing on Monday). Basically the point of editing the
> autoexec.bat file is to define the environment variables that Csound
> will use. You may be able to set this by way of .csoundrc file. On unix
> the command to set environment variables is "setenv"; as I am uncertain
> what the Windows equivalent of this is, maybe one of the Windows
> developers can share more insight than I have offered in the scope of
> this email.
>
> You might also run a "csound --help" for the long help so you can see
> if there's a commandline flag you can use to set the environment
> variables. (for example --opcode-lib=%path%) If you can do it on
> Windows by way of commandline, then surely you can encapsulate the
> string to your .csoundrc file.
>
> > Also, there is
> > not autoexec.bat file in XP (as my Windows ME desktop, I have not
> > found one
> > if there is any). Can you help because I would like to install 4.23 on
> > my
> > laptop (I have already install Csound 5 and Blue).
>
> Windows XP and ME no longer make use of a global system CONFIG.SYS and
> AUTOEXEC.BAT file, however there may be an equivalent in your \shell
> subdirectory of C:\Windows - wherever the COMMAND.COM lives.
>
> Hope this helps,
>

> -David
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
Send bugs reports to this list.

Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

John Harrison-2
I'm trying to run Csound 4.23f13 on a Mac OS X.3.9. I compiled the code (necessary because I needed to make a few changes in the source) with the standard ./configure/make/make install deal. It all went smoothly. Then I tried to render a standard sine wave, but the audio breaks up. Apparently the -b and -B sizes aren't big enough. So I tried calling Csound with -B8192 -b2048 and I get the following error:

Csound Version 4.23f13 (Jul 10 2005)
graphics not supported on this terminal, ASCII substituted
0dBFS level = 32767.0
orch now loaded
audio buffered in 2048 sample-frame blocks
2005-07-10 22:10:28.634 Csound[22351] CFLog (21): Error loading
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox:
error code 1, error number 88 (dyld: Csound truncated or malformed library:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (load
command 1 fileoff extends past end of the library)
)
2005-07-10 22:10:28.648 Csound[22351] CFLog (22): Cannot find function pointer
NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in CFBundle/CFPlugIn
0x1102e80 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle, not
loaded)
2005-07-10 22:10:28.650 Csound[22351] CFLog (21): Error loading
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox:
error code 1, error number 88 (dyld: Csound truncated or malformed library:
/System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/AudioToolbox (load
command 1 fileoff extends past end of the library)
)
2005-07-10 22:10:28.651 Csound[22351] CFLog (22): Cannot find function pointer
iSightAudioNewPlugIn for factory 9BE7661E-8AEF-11D7-8692-000A959F49B0 in
CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x11037b0 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.plugin>
(bundle, not loaded)
Error Setting CoreAudio's Buffersize

I tried other values of -B and -b but reading the errors suggests that the numbers I am giving are not the problem.

I can't use MacCsound because I need to alter the Csound source code for my purposes and I need to call from the command line. I don't want to switch to Csound5 because I have a rather large, complicated, difficult-to-debug orchestra that runs PERFECTLY on 4.23 in Windows and I'm on a very tight deadline. I suspect it won't run flawlessly on Csound5 and I won't have time to debug why...So if I can't get 4.23 to cooperate, the port to a Mac doesn't happen. :-)

Hope somebody can help. I don't know much about Macs. I feel like my IQ drops about 50 points as soon as I sit in front of a screen of one. It's a bit of a problem...

-John

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

David Akbari

On Jul 10, 2005, at 10:31 PM, John Harrison wrote:

>  and I get the following error:
>
> Csound Version 4.23f13 (Jul 10 2005)
>
> 2005-07-10 22:10:28.634 Csound[22351] CFLog (21): Error loading
> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
> AudioToolbox: error code 1, error number 88 (dyld: Csound truncated or
> malformed library:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
> AudioToolbox (load
> command 1 fileoff extends past end of the library)
> )
> 2005-07-10 22:10:28.648 Csound[22351] CFLog (22): Cannot find function
> pointer
> NewPlugIn for factory C5A4CE5B-0BB8-11D8-9D75-0003939615B6 in
> CFBundle/CFPlugIn
> 0x1102e80 </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/DVCPROHDAudio.plugin> (bundle,
> not
> loaded)
> 2005-07-10 22:10:28.650 Csound[22351] CFLog (21): Error loading
> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
> AudioToolbox: error code 1, error number 88 (dyld: Csound truncated or
> malformed library:
> /System/Library/Frameworks/AudioToolbox.framework/Versions/A/
> AudioToolbox (load
> command 1 fileoff extends past end of the library)
> )
> 2005-07-10 22:10:28.651 Csound[22351] CFLog (22): Cannot find function
> pointer
> iSightAudioNewPlugIn for factory 9BE7661E-8AEF-11D7-8692-000A959F49B0
> in
> CFBundle/CFPlugIn 0x11037b0
> </Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/HAL/iSightAudio.plugin>
> (bundle, not loaded)
> Error Setting CoreAudio's Buffersize

What flags were used at compile time?
Are the necessary CoreAudio headers in /usr/include or
/usr/local/include?
Have you tried building with PortAudio? Is libsndfile correctly
installed?

What was your Csound commandline?

I have had troubles with 4.23f13 related to FLTK. You could try using a
distribution of 4.23f12 or earlier? You can also use csound~ in Max/MSP
if that's an option.

http://www.csounds.com/matt/d+d.html

here's a max patch you can use as a macro for immediate results:

max v2;
#N vpatcher 99 319 421 643;
#P origin -6 -90;
#N comlet invalue;
#P inlet 200 102 15 0;
#P window setfont "Sans Serif" 9.;
#P comment 150 68 81 196617 init commandline;
#P button 224 201 15 0;
#P comment 216 268 44 196617 outvalue;
#N comlet outvalue;
#P outlet 199 267 15 0;
#P comment 223 250 48 196617 audio out;
#N comlet dacR;
#P outlet 216 233 15 0;
#N comlet dacL;
#P outlet 199 233 15 0;
#P toggle 136 218 15 0;
#P toggle 93 183 15 0;
#P newex 93 202 34 196617 gate~;
#P newex 136 238 34 196617 gate~;
#N comlet adcR;
#P inlet 215 141 15 0;
#N comlet adcL;
#P inlet 198 141 15 0;
#P button 132 67 15 0;
#P message 62 85 55 196617 set csound;
#P message 19 150 100 196617 csound yourfilehere.csd;
#P toggle 69 233 15 0;
#P newex 93 261 53 196617 dac~;
#P message 133 118 27 196617 stop;
#P message 19 21 110 196617 symbol PleaseSelect...;
#P message 19 63 54 196617 append \$1;
#P newex 19 41 112 196617 dialog Specify CSD File;
#P button 117 118 15 0;
#P newex 117 176 53 196617 csound~;
#P comment 228 126 41 196617 audio in;
#P comment 218 104 38 196617 invalue;
#P connect 6 0 4 0;
#P connect 4 0 5 0;
#P connect 3 0 10 0;
#P connect 11 0 10 0;
#P connect 5 0 10 0;
#P connect 12 0 10 0;
#P connect 12 0 11 0;
#P connect 17 0 16 0;
#P connect 16 0 8 0;
#P connect 9 0 8 0;
#P connect 26 0 2 0;
#P connect 13 0 2 0;
#P connect 7 0 2 0;
#P connect 10 0 2 0;
#P connect 3 0 2 0;
#P connect 2 0 16 1;
#P connect 4 0 12 0;
#P connect 6 0 12 0;
#P connect 18 0 15 0;
#P connect 15 0 8 1;
#P connect 14 0 2 1;
#P connect 2 1 15 1;
#P connect 2 0 19 0;
#P connect 2 2 22 0;
#P connect 2 1 20 0;
#P connect 2 3 24 0;
#P pop;

Hope this helps!

-David

David Akbari wrote:

> What flags were used at compile time?

duhhh...what? I didn't see any reference explaining any flags in the
source code readmes. Where can I find out more info on this?

> Are the necessary CoreAudio headers in /usr/include or
> /usr/local/include?

I doubt it since I don't know what you are talking about. Where would I
find/build these? Other sound apps run fine but perhaps this doesn't
mean anything.

> Have you tried building with PortAudio? Is libsndfile correctly
> installed?

How do I build with PortAudio? Is this a flag option? Also, I have no
idea if libsndfile is correctly installed and I don't know how to check.

> What was your Csound commandline?

csound -B2048 -b1024 -d -odac sine.orc sine.sco

> I have had troubles with 4.23f13 related to FLTK. You could try using
> a  distribution of 4.23f12 or earlier? You can also use csound~ in
> Max/MSP  if that's an option.

I'm not using FLTK and I am assuming the library isn't compiled and
isn't necessary. This is part of an application I distribute to
non-techo-savvy kids. I like Csound4 on Windows because I can wrap
everything up in a Windows script and pretty much guarentee it will run
on any Win2K or WinXP machine without any configuration. And Csound4
itself is only a 1 meg footprint. I can't use Max because it's
commercial. I couldn't legally distribute it without paying.

Thanks David. Perhaps you can point me to where I can find out more
about CoreAudio compilation or necessary libraries or something like this...

-John
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: [ot] Counterpointer

Hi Marc,

Not sure if you got everything going.  As for WinXP and there being no
autoexec.bat, I'm assuming this is a reference to editing path
variable?  If so, these are editable by right-clicking the "My
Computer" icon, selecting properties, going to the Advanced tab, then
clicking "Environment Variables".  Under the bottom table of system
variables you can edit the PATH there, as well as add variables for
SFDIR, SADIR, etc.  After editing those variables, the next time you
open a new command prompt it will be updated.

Hope that helps!
steven

On 7/11/05, Marc Demers <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Already done.
>
> Regards,
>
> - mdd

Matt Ingalls-4

i have an xcode project for a csound4 commandline i could send you.

-m

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, John Harrison wrote:

> [...]
>
> I can't use MacCsound because I need to alter the Csound source code for my
> purposes and I need to call from the command line. I don't want to switch to
> Csound5 because I have a rather large, complicated, difficult-to-debug
> orchestra that runs PERFECTLY on 4.23 in Windows and I'm on a very tight
> deadline. I suspect it won't run flawlessly on Csound5 and I won't have time
> to debug why...So if I can't get 4.23 to cooperate, the port to a Mac doesn't
> happen. :-)
>
> Hope somebody can help. I don't know much about Macs. I feel like my IQ drops
> about 50 points as soon as I sit in front of a screen of one. It's a bit of a
> problem...
>
> -John
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

I'm getting the same errors from the binary Ma++ provided for the
command line Csound for OSX:
http://www.csounds.com/matt/

So I wonder if Csound 4.23 just doesn't run well in realtime using
CoreAudio on OS X.3.9? Or is it that the -B and -b flags have some sort
of different meaning for CoreAudio or that I need to set some other
flags to avoid audio dropout?

I suppose I could try building for PortAudio... Where do the PortAudio
libraries have to be for Csound to be able to find them? Does PortAudio
for sure work on OS X.3.9? I know PortMidi doesn't.

-John

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:30 AM, John Harrison wrote:

> So I wonder if Csound 4.23 just doesn't run well in realtime using
> CoreAudio on OS X.3.9? Or is it that the -B and -b flags have some
> sort of different meaning for CoreAudio or that I need to set some
> other flags to avoid audio dropout?

If it has to do with the -B and -b flags, then it is related to your
hardware. For example, some Digidesign hardware _requires_ that your
buffersize be explicitly 1024. No more no less. I assume though that
you've tried running it just through the internal DAC...

> I suppose I could try building for PortAudio... Where do the PortAudio
> libraries have to be for Csound to be able to find them? Does
> PortAudio for sure work on OS X.3.9? I know PortMidi doesn't.

Basically all you need (for any of these, PortAudio, PortMIDI,
CoreAudio, FLTK, etc..) is to have the header files in /usr/include or
/usr/local/include at compile time.

PortMIDI requires "portmidi.h", PortAudio requires "portaudio.h" and
"porttime.h" and Libsndfile requires "sndfile.h".

Also... are you running Csound inside of a bash or a tcsh shell (or
another??) I have found that the bash shell is much slower than the
tcsh when running Csound. Regardless of if you use Port/Core audio.
Could you post your example orchestra so further testing could be done?

-David

> John Harrison wrote:
>

>> David Akbari wrote:
>>
>>> What flags were used at compile time?
>>

>> duhhh...what? I didn't see any reference explaining any flags in the
>> source code readmes. Where can I find out more info on this?
>>
>>> Are the necessary CoreAudio headers in /usr/include or
>>> /usr/local/include?
>>

>> I doubt it since I don't know what you are talking about. Where would
>> I find/build these? Other sound apps run fine but perhaps this
>> doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>> Have you tried building with PortAudio? Is libsndfile correctly
>>> installed?
>>>
>> How do I build with PortAudio? Is this a flag option? Also, I have no
>> idea if libsndfile is correctly installed and I don't know how to
>> check.
>>
>>> What was your Csound commandline?
>>>
>> csound -B2048 -b1024 -d -odac sine.orc sine.sco
>>
>>> I have had troubles with 4.23f13 related to FLTK. You could try
>>> using a  distribution of 4.23f12 or earlier? You can also use
>>> csound~ in Max/MSP  if that's an option.
>>>
>> I'm not using FLTK and I am assuming the library isn't compiled and
>> isn't necessary. This is part of an application I distribute to
>> non-techo-savvy kids. I like Csound4 on Windows because I can wrap
>> everything up in a Windows script and pretty much guarentee it will
>> run on any Win2K or WinXP machine without any configuration. And
>> Csound4 itself is only a 1 meg footprint. I can't use Max because
>> it's commercial. I couldn't legally distribute it without paying.
>>

>> Thanks David. Perhaps you can point me to where I can find out more
>> about CoreAudio compilation or necessary libraries or something like
>> this...
>>
>> -John
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

David Akbari
So I just grabbed version 4.23f13 from CVS and ran Xanadu.csd as a
test, and it starts out ok but about 7.5 seconds in, there start to
incur massive dropouts. Three instruments are allocated simultaneously
at this time index. The playback keeps going but sounds as if there is
an incorrectly allocated buffersize or something.

It plays back as expected with no errors in Csound5. Could this be
because of the gcc3opt and useAltiVec=1 flags?? I also run mac osx
10.3.9.

Curious.

-David

On Jul 11, 2005, at 1:30 AM, John Harrison wrote:

> I'm getting the same errors from the binary Ma++ provided for the
> command line Csound for OSX:
> http://www.csounds.com/matt/
>
> So I wonder if Csound 4.23 just doesn't run well in realtime using
> CoreAudio on OS X.3.9? Or is it that the -B and -b flags have some
> sort of different meaning for CoreAudio or that I need to set some
> other flags to avoid audio dropout?
>
> I suppose I could try building for PortAudio... Where do the PortAudio
> libraries have to be for Csound to be able to find them? Does
> PortAudio for sure work on OS X.3.9? I know PortMidi doesn't.
>
> -John
>
> John Harrison wrote:
>

>> David Akbari wrote:
>>
>>> What flags were used at compile time?
>>

>> duhhh...what? I didn't see any reference explaining any flags in the
>> source code readmes. Where can I find out more info on this?
>>
>>> Are the necessary CoreAudio headers in /usr/include or
>>> /usr/local/include?
>>

>> I doubt it since I don't know what you are talking about. Where would
>> I find/build these? Other sound apps run fine but perhaps this
>> doesn't mean anything.
>>
>>> Have you tried building with PortAudio? Is libsndfile correctly
>>> installed?
>>>
>> How do I build with PortAudio? Is this a flag option? Also, I have no
>> idea if libsndfile is correctly installed and I don't know how to
>> check.
>>
>>> What was your Csound commandline?
>>>
>> csound -B2048 -b1024 -d -odac sine.orc sine.sco
>>
>>> I have had troubles with 4.23f13 related to FLTK. You could try
>>> using a  distribution of 4.23f12 or earlier? You can also use
>>> csound~ in Max/MSP  if that's an option.
>>>
>> I'm not using FLTK and I am assuming the library isn't compiled and
>> isn't necessary. This is part of an application I distribute to
>> non-techo-savvy kids. I like Csound4 on Windows because I can wrap
>> everything up in a Windows script and pretty much guarentee it will
>> run on any Win2K or WinXP machine without any configuration. And
>> Csound4 itself is only a 1 meg footprint. I can't use Max because
>> it's commercial. I couldn't legally distribute it without paying.
>>

>> Thanks David. Perhaps you can point me to where I can find out more
>> about CoreAudio compilation or necessary libraries or something like
>> this...
>>
>> -John
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

John Harrison-2
I *gotta* get some sleep....Thanks for trying this, David. If you get a
chance, perhaps try the 4.23f12 Csound command line executable on Matt's
website and see if you get the same dropouts.

I'll relook at these emails, try the suggestions and answer the
questions you asked tomorrow. Thanks for helping me.

So when you run 4.23f13 you don't get any errors, huh? I think I have 2
things going on. One may be exactly what you said: the buffer size value
has constraints. And the other is the pile of errors that I already
pasted in a previous email. I get those errors every time I render in
realtime, but sometimes the orchestra plays anyway, albeit with dropouts.

Stupidly I hadn't thought to try the internal DAC yet. So that's a good
suggestion. To do this I just set it to be the default in the audio
settings of whatever the Control Panel is called on Macs?

The orchestra I am trying:

        sr     = 44100
        kr     = 4410
        ksmps  = 10
        nchnls = 2

        instr   1
a1      oscils  10000,440,0
        outs    a1,a1
        endin

I had been running whatever shell iTerm uses. I'll check on this tomorrow.

-John

On Jul 11, 2005, at 2:08 AM, John Harrison wrote:

> I had been running whatever shell iTerm uses.

So I checked out that app. I ran your example orchestra through iTerm
and Mac's native Terminal (lives in the /Applications/Utilities can be
opened by Apple + Shift + U in the finder) and while there were no
dropouts with Csound4.23f12 and Csound5 with Mac's Native Terminal.app,
there were many with the iTerm app.

iTerm by default uses a tcsh shell which is what you want but seems to
have a lot of extra overhead, even using ProcessWizard to increase the
threading priority in the app yielded some dropouts.

Try running Mac's native Terminal.app with a tcsh. You should have
better luck.

-David

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Csound 4.23f13 runtime issues on Mac OS X.3.9

Matt Ingalls-4

you sure it isn't just the cpu maxing out?  i cannot run xanadu in real
time on my dual450

-m

On Jul 11, 2005, at 3:34 AM, Matt J. Ingalls wrote:

> you sure it isn't just the cpu maxing out?  i cannot run xanadu in
> real time on my dual450
>
> -m

A top command reveals that this is indeed the case. Imagine that...

Looks like I need to find a leaner test orc! Regardless, that iTerm app
definitely takes up many more cpu cycles than OSX's default
Terminal.app, compounding the problem. Still saving up to buy that
Linux box!

-David