nGen as a BSB?

Menno Knevel
Hi Steven,

i was wondering if i could convert the nGen system to a BSB or something like JMask. I don't know how yet how to proceed but atm am trying how far i can go with the ObjectBuilder. This Object has an easy Command Line option that could call nGen.
Advantage of an Orchestra BSB on the other hand, when using "event" or "scedule", may be a better solution because of access to Automation Lines.

I wanted to look at JMask to see how this done - in Java i presume. Where can i find this Module, what is it called?

Re: nGen as a BSB?

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

The JMask data objects can be found here:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/blob/develop/blue-core/src/blue/soundObject/JMask.java
https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/tree/develop/blue-core/src/blue/soundObject/jmask

And UI code can be found:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/blob/develop/blue-ui-core/src/blue/soundObject/editor/JMaskEditor.java
https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/tree/develop/blue-ui-core/src/blue/soundObject/editor/jmask

It's a fair amount of code I wrote to reimplement CMask in Java, then
write a UI for it.  Right now ObjectBuilder is probably the easiest
way to wrap nGen and create a user interface I think. LineObjects
should provide a means to pass information to nGen, but I'm not sure
what format nGen expects.  Also, nGen's source doesn't look to be
available, which might make translating to Java a bit harder.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
steven

On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 9:58 AM, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> i was wondering if i could convert the nGen system to a BSB or something
> like JMask. I don't know how yet how to proceed but atm am trying how far i
> can go with the ObjectBuilder. This Object has an easy Command Line option
> that could call nGen.
> Advantage of an Orchestra BSB on the other hand, when using "event" or
> "scedule", may be a better solution because of access to Automation Lines.
>
> I wanted to look at JMask to see how this done - in Java i presume. Where
> can i find this Module, what is it called?

Re: nGen as a BSB?

Menno Knevel
I've come to realize that using an ObjectBuilder is too limited in its possibilities.
For example, if the user wants to choose different options in nGen, the need for if...then loops is there to check for that option. Which is not possible to realize in the Score.

But it would be possible in the Orchestra and perhaps that is the way to go and let an Orchestra generate score values.?

I now can see better what the JMask module does. Not by looking at the code - i do not understand that and i never will - but as a structure.
For example, when an option is chosen, automatically other options are not shown because the ones that don't apply with that option are not shown.

This leads me to the thought: would it be possible for a BSB to show only things that are needed after having chosen an option? Or is it only a one-way-street?
If i choose to want to generate a sequence of values and choose that option (in nGen that would be p5 se(T .1[value value value]) ), then a LineObject should pop up,  ready to be filled with values?

This is how JMask works and i wonder if it would be possible with the JavaFX BSB?

(i hope i have made myself clear......)

Re: nGen as a BSB?

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

I understand what you are saying and I think ObjectBuilder might not
be right for what you want.  The tricky thing is that as we go further
and further into customizability, it becomes an area where one gets
closer and closer to programming.  nGen was designed as a language for
expressing ideas, but perhaps wasn't designed to be used with a GUI
like this.  On the other hand, making a system that does conditionally
do certain things is not too difficult with a full programming
language, say if you used ObjectBuilder with Python code.  This would
maybe be a place where ObjectBuilder plus pmask and Python code could
maybe be a good solution.

The other part is whether, upon a condition, certain parts of a BSB UI
could be shown.  Right now, the widgets are somewhat unaware of each
other.  This would require having some kind CardLayout where one card
is ever shown at a time, and each card could have a UI.  (At least,
this is how I would go about it programming in Java.)  There would
have to be some way for an interface element to respond to the state
and changes of state of another element too.  This may require then
additional properties to be exposed within the GUI builder interface
provided for BSB.

All said, I think it'd be possible, but the amount of work would
required is pretty big.  I'd definitely put an issue in the tracker
for it, as having a UI builder at that level would be very nice to
have, but on the other hand I think other items (like realtime and
Blue 3.0) would be higher up on my personal list of things to get
accomplished first.

Hope that explains it!
steven