midi connect

Menno Knevel
Hi,

i have Csound running with the ALSAsequencer option - works fine as you can see in the output:
ALSASEQ: opened MIDI output sequencer
ALSASEQ: created output port 'Csound' 129:0
ALSASEQ: connected to 20:0

Here is a screenshot of the created Csound midi output:

called midi_capture3.

All is fine, until i run Csound again; a new midi output is created!

This time is has become midi_capture4. And the next time Csound runs, it will be midi_capture5.
Not very practical, because every time i have to make a new connection...

Is there a way that Csound would make the connections automatically? Or is this an ALSA issue?

Re: midi connect

Menno Knevel
okay, i solved it myself but will make a report here in case anyone ever encounters the same issue...

All this is in Linux using Cadence to make the connections.

What i did was:
- activate the alsa to jack bridge  (=a2j). A Csound Alsa to Jack port was born.
- This also activates the Midi Through port of my soundcard, that i could use to send the midi data from Csound to, or
- use the Csound Alsa Midi port that came to live

Both these 2 options are stable and one of them can be used.

(As you can see, the midi port that is there before activation of a2j is still counting...now 63 because i was playing Csound in a loop.)

Re: [Csnd] midi connect

genell
If you are using Jack anyway, there is now a direct implementation of Jack midi in Csound which is enabled by command line flag -+rtmidi=jack
It also allows custom midi port naming by additional flag -+jack_midi_client=your_custom_name_here

I believe you would get som of this info by running csound --help

Regards,
Anders

Ps. Perhaps there ought to be a few lines about this added to the reference manual?

> 15 feb. 2017 kl. 20:03 skrev Menno Knevel <[hidden email]>:
>
> okay, i solved it myself but will make a report here in case anyone ever
> encounters the same issue...
>
> All this is in Linux using Cadence to make the connections.
>
> What i did was:
> - *activate the alsa to jack bridge * (=a2j). A Csound Alsa to Jack port was
> born.
> - This also activates the Midi Through port of my soundcard, that i could
> use to send the midi data from Csound to, or
> - use the Csound Alsa Midi port that came to live
>
> Both these 2 options are stable and one of them can be used.
> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/n5754587/alsaseq_out.png>
>
> (As you can see, the midi port that is there before activation of a2j is
> still counting...now 63 because i was playing Csound in a loop.)

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] midi connect

Menno Knevel
thanks, genell, that works perfectly.
i named the jack_midi_client csound6-midi and activated the in and out port. I found out i had to activate both in and out to avoid a crash.

Now the midi out port keeps its name when i set Blue in a loop. The jack audio and jack midi ports now all autoconnect and the midi data goes to the right output port.