memory

Menno Knevel
I am using Blue, but i think this is more a Csound thing.
I have this instrument: flooper and diskin2 both load in 4 samples into memory, as i notice when i look at the Memory and Swap History of my Linux Mint system with 4G of memory.

I was using 4 rather big files with flooper/diskin2 and 30 notes to play the files at different speeds, skipping some samples etc.. With every note the same 4 files are read back in, and after a few seconds i am out of memory and my system is trying to use the swap disk. At one point the swap is full - end of story.

I'd like to understand why Csound is not just loading the 4 samples just once and use the notes to read those samples?
Is there a more memory economic way possible?

Re: [Csnd] memory

Flooper (by design) loads all samples into memory, and does not share it. If you use flooper2 instead, you’ll
see a difference. It just reads from the shared function table, with little extra memory use.

Diskin2 does not load much into memory, it reads from disk as required.

> On 11 Mar 2017, at 18:52, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I am using Blue, but i think this is more a Csound thing.
> I have this instrument: flooper and diskin2 both load in 4 samples into
> memory, as i notice when i look at the Memory and Swap History of my Linux
> Mint system with 4G of memory.
>
> I was using 4 rather big files with flooper/diskin2 and 30 notes to play the
> files at different speeds, skipping some samples etc.. With every note the
> same 4 files are read back in, and after a few seconds i am out of memory
> and my system is trying to use the swap disk. At one point the swap is full
> - end of story.
>
> I'd like to understand why Csound is not just loading the 4 samples just
> once and use the notes to read those samples?
> Is there a more memory economic way possible?

Re: [Csnd] memory

Menno Knevel
Good to know, thanks!

this week i will do a test with flooper, flooper2 and diskin2, using 30 notes with the same 4 soundfiles, and monitor the memory usage.
I will report back so the developers can decide if all is according to expectations.

Re: [Csnd] memory

Victor Lazzarini
flooper will have a high memory usage, that’s a fact and it is what it is. Not designed for the
type of thing you are trying to do.

> On 12 Mar 2017, at 12:50, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good to know, thanks!
>
> this week i will do a test with flooper, flooper2 and diskin2, using 30
> notes with the same 4 soundfiles, and monitor the memory usage.
> I will report back so the developers can decide if all is according to
> expectations.

Re: [Csnd] memory

Menno Knevel
This issue has been solved and was entirely my fault.

I had the loading of the (big) samples inside the local instrument. So for every note the same samples were loaded in again and again for every new note. Until i ran out of memory and the swap file kicked in...

It works nicely now.