[ljc@internet.com.uy: Re: [Csnd] Deferred length GEN tables]

jpff
> if i'm not mistaken, gabriel maldonado did away with that limitation
> a _long_ time ago in his version of csound for windows, but i'm not
> sure, i'm on linux and i only use canonical csound. what i know is
> that those changes never made their way into the canonical sources.

Many changes never made it as they were never made available.  That is
still the case as far as I know.

==John
Send bugs reports to this list.

function table graphics in CsoundAV?

Matt Ingalls-4

are there any besides the ASCII graphs?

if so, how do i turn them on?!??

thanks,
matt [ using windows and ~LOVING~ it!  :P ]
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

Victor Lazzarini
FLTK supposedly would do it (at least does it on Linux), but
I'm not sure how well it's working on Windows. There was a
problem on OSX, but I never got round to testing if it was
sorted.

If you're now on the PC-compatible, why not try Linux? You
can dual-boot. I'm sure you'll love it even more.

Victor

At 22:05 21/09/2005, you wrote:

>are there any besides the ASCII graphs?
>
>if so, how do i turn them on?!??
>

>thanks,
>matt [ using windows and ~LOVING~ it!  :P ]
>--
>Send bugs reports to this list.

Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

Istvan Varga
I think the post was about CsoundAV, and not Csound 5, so it
is quite possible that function table displays - other than ASCII
- are not supported by that version.

Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> FLTK supposedly would do it (at least does it on Linux), but
> I'm not sure how well it's working on Windows. There was a
> problem on OSX, but I never got round to testing if it was
> sorted.
>
> If you're now on the PC-compatible, why not try Linux? You
> can dual-boot. I'm sure you'll love it even more.
>
> Victor
>
> At 22:05 21/09/2005, you wrote:
>
>> are there any besides the ASCII graphs?
>>
>> if so, how do i turn them on?!??
>>

>> thanks,
>> matt [ using windows and ~LOVING~ it!  :P ]
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

abhunkin
My experience with WindowsME:

No Windows versions of Csound do *any* sort of function table graphics using
default flags other than CsoundAV, which does ASCII. (These versions include
flCsound, gbs0, MyCsound4 and both Varga and Gogins Csound5.)

Are there flags to enable even ASCII graphics on any other Windows Csounds?
(I am not aware of any.)

Art Hunkins

Art Hunkins wrote:

> My experience with WindowsME:
>
> No Windows versions of Csound do *any* sort of function table graphics using
> default flags other than CsoundAV, which does ASCII. (These versions include
> flCsound, gbs0, MyCsound4 and both Varga and Gogins Csound5.)

Are you sure ? Is it possible that you are somehow using the -d flag
(.csoundrc, <CsOptions>, etc.) ? I have just tested - using WINE - the
2005-07-16 release by Michael Gogins, and with the --displays flag it
seems to display tables in an FLTK window. Also, with --displays -g
tables are displayed as ASCII by both the above mentioned version and
my release (which is limited to ASCII, though).
Note that displays should be enabled by default, but if there is a
-d flag anywhere then you need to explicitly use --displays.
Also, using FLTK table displays and FLTK widgets at the same time
may be unsafe, so you may want to use ASCII displays in such cases.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

abhunkin
Istvan -

This is fascinating and confusing.

In my test of both your and Michael's most recent Csound5's, I used the
following CsOptions:
-M0 -odac -b64 -B4096
and at your suggestion also:
-M0 -odac -b64 -B4096 --displays

Though my commandline contained no other flags, I discovered (following your
comments) that I *was* using a .csoundrc file - the one I installed (and
promptly forgot) with your distribution. It contains a -d flag.

When I commented out this file in my autoexec.bat (I'm on WinME), or added
the --displays flag, I did indeed get ASCII function table graphics. That
is, I got it for *your* Csound5, but not Michael's (???). (The output log
for his do not include "displays suppressed" either - which it did for
yours, prior to my locating the .csoundrc file.)

Incidentally, the .csd I was testing with was real-time, and used MIDI
controller input *and FLTK*. And I am fine with ASCII table display; all I
need to see is that the f-tables are there and generally what I'd asked for.

Of course, none of this has to do with the Csound4 versions I mentioned,
which - with the exception of AV - don't print f-table graphics at all.

BTW, the .csoundrc file of yours I currently have includes the values: -b
128 -B 2048. Are these your current realtime recommendations, or have they
changed? (If so, will you be changing them in your .csoundrc file?)

Art Hunkins

> > No Windows versions of Csound do *any* sort of function table graphics
using
> > default flags other than CsoundAV, which does ASCII. (These versions
include

> > flCsound, gbs0, MyCsound4 and both Varga and Gogins Csound5.)
>
> Are you sure ? Is it possible that you are somehow using the -d flag
> (.csoundrc, <CsOptions>, etc.) ? I have just tested - using WINE - the
> 2005-07-16 release by Michael Gogins, and with the --displays flag it
> seems to display tables in an FLTK window. Also, with --displays -g
> tables are displayed as ASCII by both the above mentioned version and
> my release (which is limited to ASCII, though).
> Note that displays should be enabled by default, but if there is a
> -d flag anywhere then you need to explicitly use --displays.
> Also, using FLTK table displays and FLTK widgets at the same time
> may be unsafe, so you may want to use ASCII displays in such cases.
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

jpff-2
What?  Winsound always produced graphics.
==John ffitch
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

Matt Ingalls-4

I am teaching in a PC Lab.
CsoundAV+WinXoundPro seemed the most user friendly [ do i dare say the
most "mac-like" ? ]

I still have been showing a lot of examples in MacCsound, and feels weird
having to go back to ASCII graphics.. but who knows, maybe its hip and
retro?

so are you saying CsoundAV supports FLTK table graphics, or no?
-m

On Thu, 22 Sep 2005, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> FLTK supposedly would do it (at least does it on Linux), but
> I'm not sure how well it's working on Windows. There was a
> problem on OSX, but I never got round to testing if it was
> sorted.
>
> If you're now on the PC-compatible, why not try Linux? You
> can dual-boot. I'm sure you'll love it even more.
>
> Victor
>
> At 22:05 21/09/2005, you wrote:
>
>> are there any besides the ASCII graphs?
>>
>> if so, how do i turn them on?!??
>>

>> thanks,
>> matt [ using windows and ~LOVING~ it!  :P ]
>> --
>> Send bugs reports to this list.
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Music Technology Laboratory
> Music Department
> National University of Ireland, Maynooth
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

abhunkin
I don't think so. (If it does, I've never seen them. They're all "in-line"
with the rest of the ASCII output.)

Art Hunkins

Matt J. Ingalls wrote:

> I am teaching in a PC Lab.
> CsoundAV+WinXoundPro seemed the most user friendly [ do i dare say the
> most "mac-like" ? ]
>
> I still have been showing a lot of examples in MacCsound, and feels
> weird having to go back to ASCII graphics.. but who knows, maybe its hip
> and retro?
>
> so are you saying CsoundAV supports FLTK table graphics, or no?

I think, you would better ask this on the CsoundAV forum.

Art Hunkins wrote:

> When I commented out this file in my autoexec.bat (I'm on WinME), or added
> the --displays flag, I did indeed get ASCII function table graphics. That
> is, I got it for *your* Csound5, but not Michael's (???).

It should have FLTK table displays, as I tested it and the functionality is
definitely there. Did you use CsoundVST or the simple command line csound.exe
(I tested the latter) ? What happens if you type this in the installation
directory ?

.\csound.exe --displays -+rtaudio=mme -o dac -b 2048 -B 8192 examples\trapped.csd

But note again, if you do use widget opcodes, then ASCII displays (-g) are safer.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

abhunkin
Thanks, Istvan, for working with me on this issue. I'm always very much
interested in how various Csounds act differently or not (especially in
Windows).

I think it's now clear to me what is happening: probably of greatest
importance is that my test file involves FLTK widgets (*all* my compositions
use FLTK widgets, and I always test with them for that reason).

Michael's Csound5 distribution does not involve a .csoundrc file; as a
result his default is not -d, meaning that hi-res displays are on.

Your distribution includes a .csoundrc file that includes -d, meaning that
typically all displays are off.

Michael's distro has problems if you run using FLTK widgets (like I do). The
FLTK table windows fail to display properly (indeed, all I get is a block in
my taskbar). --displays fails in the same way (as you indeed suspected). To
get any f-table displays using FLTK widgets, you *must* specify -g (for
ASCII display).

OTOH, your version is smart enough to know of the FLTK widgets/table
conflict when -d is removed from .csoundrc, or the --displays flag is added.
Graphics default to ASCII in this case (instead of hi-res); no need for -g.

My tentative conclusion is that with Windows there still remains the issue
of getting hi-res f-table displays along with FLTK widgets. Only ASCII
graphics are possible with widgets (at least on my WinME system). Also, what
the user needs to do to produce ASCII graphics under the Gogins and Varga
distros is somewhat different given widgets - though the -g flag will
produce them in both distros.

Is that a fair summary?

Art Hunkins

Art Hunkins wrote:

> My tentative conclusion is that with Windows there still remains the issue
> of getting hi-res f-table displays along with FLTK widgets. Only ASCII
> graphics are possible with widgets (at least on my WinME system). Also, what
> the user needs to do to produce ASCII graphics under the Gogins and Varga
> distros is somewhat different given widgets - though the -g flag will
> produce them in both distros.

-d and -g should be available in all 4.x or later versions of Csound
(unless CsoundAV removed or renamed them for some reason), and have the
same effect. The only Csound5 specific flag is --displays which exists
to make it possible to undo the effect of -d.
So, as long as you have -g, but not -d, you should get ASCII displays.
Note that there is also -G that writes a PostScript file in the current
directory.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

Matt Ingalls-4
>> so are you saying CsoundAV supports FLTK table graphics, or no?
>
> I think, you would better ask this on the CsoundAV forum.

actually, last time i tried i didn't get much response so i posted here
instead.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: function table graphics in CsoundAV?

abhunkin
Matt,

Following further on Istvan's suggestions today, it is now clear to me that
all current Windows versions of Csound4 *except AV* support FLTK table
graphics, as well as do both distros of Csound5.

The only catch is that this only applies when you are *not* using FLTK
widgets. With widgets, only ASCII tables are available.

Sorry to have been so confused about this. (Also, I did see your post on the
AV forum; I was insufficiently clear on the issue then to attempt a
response. I also noted no one else had responded at the time.)

Art Hunkins