how many oscillators...

Cacophony7
can a typical processor take before it meets it's match?

Re: [Csnd] how many oscillators...

Steven Yi
It is hard to estimate as processors vary widely in features.  Are you
talking about desktop, embedded/mobile devices, etc?  If
embedded/mobile, does the processor support hardware floating point
processing? What about SIMD?  What's the max single-core speed?
32-bit or 64-bit CPU?

And what kind of oscillator?  A band-limited oscillator like vco or
vco2 are much more expensive than a table lookup oscillator.  And of
the various table lookup oscillators, the type of interpolation
impacts performance.

The question isn't well defined and, as a result, hard to answer.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> can a typical processor take before it meets it's match?

Re: [Csnd] how many oscillators...

Michael Gogins-2
Write a script that takes the kinds of oscillator you need and outputs real-time audio. The script can add oscillators one at a time until the sound breaks up or the CPU meter pegs. Start with more than a few oscillators!

On Jul 20, 2017 10:07 PM, "Steven Yi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is hard to estimate as processors vary widely in features.  Are you
talking about desktop, embedded/mobile devices, etc?  If
embedded/mobile, does the processor support hardware floating point
processing? What about SIMD?  What's the max single-core speed?
32-bit or 64-bit CPU?

And what kind of oscillator?  A band-limited oscillator like vco or
vco2 are much more expensive than a table lookup oscillator.  And of
the various table lookup oscillators, the type of interpolation
impacts performance.

The question isn't well defined and, as a result, hard to answer.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> can a typical processor take before it meets it's match?

Re: [Csnd] how many oscillators...

iron_attorney
The two answers before are both great answers. To give some vague perspective, I have a core i3 2.4ghz in my laptop, dual core, and I comfortable ran 256 loscil instances at once in one of my experiments. I had a couple of other things running too, a couple of filters maybe, I can't remember now, but anyway, the cpu processed these happily.

On 21 Jul 2017 12:37 p.m., "Michael Gogins" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Write a script that takes the kinds of oscillator you need and outputs real-time audio. The script can add oscillators one at a time until the sound breaks up or the CPU meter pegs. Start with more than a few oscillators!

On Jul 20, 2017 10:07 PM, "Steven Yi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is hard to estimate as processors vary widely in features.  Are you
talking about desktop, embedded/mobile devices, etc?  If
embedded/mobile, does the processor support hardware floating point
processing? What about SIMD?  What's the max single-core speed?
32-bit or 64-bit CPU?

And what kind of oscillator?  A band-limited oscillator like vco or
vco2 are much more expensive than a table lookup oscillator.  And of
the various table lookup oscillators, the type of interpolation
impacts performance.

The question isn't well defined and, as a result, hard to answer.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> can a typical processor take before it meets it's match?

Re: [Csnd] how many oscillators...

Nathan Holmes
Y'know I actually ran up against this when generating noise using many sine oscillators (just for fun).

My i7 3.4 GHz processor seems to be able to handle a max of about 2500 instances of oscili in single-core mode. If I use oscil3 instead, it can only handle about 1000 instances. Enabling multicore mode (4 threads) and raising ksmps allows about 4000 for oscili and about 2800 for oscil3.

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 1:02 PM, Peter Burgess <[hidden email]> wrote:
The two answers before are both great answers. To give some vague perspective, I have a core i3 2.4ghz in my laptop, dual core, and I comfortable ran 256 loscil instances at once in one of my experiments. I had a couple of other things running too, a couple of filters maybe, I can't remember now, but anyway, the cpu processed these happily.

On 21 Jul 2017 12:37 p.m., "Michael Gogins" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Write a script that takes the kinds of oscillator you need and outputs real-time audio. The script can add oscillators one at a time until the sound breaks up or the CPU meter pegs. Start with more than a few oscillators!

On Jul 20, 2017 10:07 PM, "Steven Yi" <[hidden email]> wrote:
It is hard to estimate as processors vary widely in features.  Are you
talking about desktop, embedded/mobile devices, etc?  If
embedded/mobile, does the processor support hardware floating point
processing? What about SIMD?  What's the max single-core speed?
32-bit or 64-bit CPU?

And what kind of oscillator?  A band-limited oscillator like vco or
vco2 are much more expensive than a table lookup oscillator.  And of
the various table lookup oscillators, the type of interpolation
impacts performance.

The question isn't well defined and, as a result, hard to answer.

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 9:12 PM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> can a typical processor take before it meets it's match?

Re: [Csnd] how many oscillators...

iron_attorney
That's awesome! Thanks for sharing