has anybody...

Cacophony7
...changed the way we look at p-fields?
can I make an array of k-variables based on the value of a p-field and do an algorithm of operations and functions based on it?
can I give a p-field a default value or even a secondary one or some kind of articulate plan-B?
can I skip a p-field or so?
can I make a gestalt and OR or an array of p-fields?
can I use an intelligent array generator on that gestalt?
can I go to a p-field based on an address, tag, or purpose?
can I go to a gestalt like that too?
do p-fields have floating point names like p5.0 p5.1 p5.1 p6.0 p6.1 p6.2.33?

Re: [Csnd] has anybody...

jpff
On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, Cacophony7 wrote:

> ...changed the way we look at p-fields?
> can I make an array of k-variables based on the value of a p-field and do an
> algorithm of operations and functions based on it?

You can do that if you want

> can I give a p-field a default value or even a secondary one or some kind of
> articulate plan-B?

AFAIK not in current system

> can I skip a p-field or so?

they are numbered by occurrence, but you can just not look at a p field

> can I make a gestalt and OR or an array of p-fields?

no idea

> can I use an intelligent array generator on that gestalt?
> can I go to a p-field based on an address, tag, or purpose?

no idea what you mean; what does "go to" mean here?  you can only
reference  them by name or via p() function

> can I go to a gestalt like that too?

  do p-fields have floating point names like p5.0 p5.1 p5.1 p6.0 p6.1 p6.2.33?

no

I think i do not understand what you envisage
==John ff

Re: [Csnd] has anybody...

Steven Yi
The only thing in regards to pfields I've been thinking about is for
CS7, which is to make fields have data types associated with them.
This would feed into work to allow any value be used as a pfield, such
as arrays or opcode instances.  The latter is part of another bit of
work I wanted to have in Csound, but has a lot of complexities around
it (like, what's the duration for an opcode instance that is created
prior to using it as an event), but it allows a lot of expressive
possibilities.  (e.g., Design an instrument once, let it play with a
static pitch, or pass in an expseg instance as a pfield to be used as
a glissando, etc.).

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, Cacophony7 wrote:
>
>> ...changed the way we look at p-fields?
>> can I make an array of k-variables based on the value of a p-field and do
>> an
>> algorithm of operations and functions based on it?
>

> You can do that if you want
>
>> can I give a p-field a default value or even a secondary one or some kind
>> of
>> articulate plan-B?
>

> AFAIK not in current system
>
>> can I skip a p-field or so?
>

> they are numbered by occurrence, but you can just not look at a p field
>

>> can I make a gestalt and OR or an array of p-fields?
>

> no idea
>
>> can I use an intelligent array generator on that gestalt?
>> can I go to a p-field based on an address, tag, or purpose?
>

> no idea what you mean; what does "go to" mean here?  you can only reference
> them by name or via p() function
>

>> can I go to a gestalt like that too?
>>
>  do p-fields have floating point names like p5.0 p5.1 p5.1 p6.0 p6.1
> p6.2.33?
>
> no
>

> I think i do not understand what you envisage
> ==John ff

Re: [Csnd] has anybody...

Justin Smith
one opcode I rarely see used that can make working with p fields nicer is passign

so instead of a bunch of lines like

iamp = p4
ipan = p5
ipitch = p6

you can use

iamp, ipan, ipitch passign 4

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The only thing in regards to pfields I've been thinking about is for
CS7, which is to make fields have data types associated with them.
This would feed into work to allow any value be used as a pfield, such
as arrays or opcode instances.  The latter is part of another bit of
work I wanted to have in Csound, but has a lot of complexities around
it (like, what's the duration for an opcode instance that is created
prior to using it as an event), but it allows a lot of expressive
possibilities.  (e.g., Design an instrument once, let it play with a
static pitch, or pass in an expseg instance as a pfield to be used as
a glissando, etc.).

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, Cacophony7 wrote:
>
>> ...changed the way we look at p-fields?
>> can I make an array of k-variables based on the value of a p-field and do
>> an
>> algorithm of operations and functions based on it?
>

> You can do that if you want
>
>> can I give a p-field a default value or even a secondary one or some kind
>> of
>> articulate plan-B?
>

> AFAIK not in current system
>
>> can I skip a p-field or so?
>

> they are numbered by occurrence, but you can just not look at a p field
>

>> can I make a gestalt and OR or an array of p-fields?
>

> no idea
>
>> can I use an intelligent array generator on that gestalt?
>> can I go to a p-field based on an address, tag, or purpose?
>

> no idea what you mean; what does "go to" mean here?  you can only reference
> them by name or via p() function
>

>> can I go to a gestalt like that too?
>>
>  do p-fields have floating point names like p5.0 p5.1 p5.1 p6.0 p6.1
> p6.2.33?
>
> no
>

> I think i do not understand what you envisage
> ==John ff

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] has anybody...

Partev Barr Sarkissian

Define or declare them before you use them that way or you get
a "used before defined" error message when you render it. I've come
across that a few times.

-pbs

=====================================

one opcode I rarely see used that can make working with p fields nicer is passign

so instead of a bunch of lines like

iamp = p4
ipan = p5
ipitch = p6

you can use

iamp, ipan, ipitch passign 4

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 1:24 PM Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
The only thing in regards to pfields I've been thinking about is for
CS7, which is to make fields have data types associated with them.
This would feed into work to allow any value be used as a pfield, such
as arrays or opcode instances.  The latter is part of another bit of
work I wanted to have in Csound, but has a lot of complexities around
it (like, what's the duration for an opcode instance that is created
prior to using it as an event), but it allows a lot of expressive
possibilities.  (e.g., Design an instrument once, let it play with a
static pitch, or pass in an expseg instance as a pfield to be used as
a glissando, etc.).

On Thu, Jul 20, 2017 at 3:51 PM, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jul 2017, Cacophony7 wrote:
>
>> ...changed the way we look at p-fields?
>> can I make an array of k-variables based on the value of a p-field and do
>> an
>> algorithm of operations and functions based on it?
>

> You can do that if you want
>
>> can I give a p-field a default value or even a secondary one or some kind
>> of
>> articulate plan-B?
>

> AFAIK not in current system
>
>> can I skip a p-field or so?
>

> they are numbered by occurrence, but you can just not look at a p field
>

>> can I make a gestalt and OR or an array of p-fields?
>

> no idea
>
>> can I use an intelligent array generator on that gestalt?
>> can I go to a p-field based on an address, tag, or purpose?
>

> no idea what you mean; what does "go to" mean here?  you can only reference
> them by name or via p() function
>

>> can I go to a gestalt like that too?
>>
>  do p-fields have floating point names like p5.0 p5.1 p5.1 p6.0 p6.1
> p6.2.33?
>
> no
>

> I think i do not understand what you envisage
> ==John ff

>        https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Netscape.  Just the Net You Need.

Re: [Csnd] has anybody...

Cacophony7
can you "staple" a default set of values in the score file for p4, p5, and p6
and then skip p4, p5, p6 on the "next" set of i-statements (in the score)
so you can staple some more values for p7, p8 and p9 and
then repeat THAT block of code of i-statements in a loop changing nothing but p6 and p9.

are there ways to write more i-statements with less code?
can you program an i-statement to skip a stapled default p-field and then
unstaple it whenever needed not to be skipped?