csound on raspberry pi

Victor Lazzarini
Today at the lab.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=375790225844710&set=vb.434695489928870&type=2&theater

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: +353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Andres Cabrera
Hi Victor,

Cool. I've got a similar setup, and things are working well, although
latency is around 50ms (not measured, but it's not good, or too bad
either). I am however having problems with alsa, as sound dies after
about 10 minutes (faster if the buffers are smaller). Are you
experinecing the same? I am using raspian and Csound from the
repositories.

I was reading today that you can actually install jack2 from the
repositories (I had read before that there was something in the driver
that prevented jack from working). Have you tried that?

Cheers,
Andrés

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Victor Lazzarini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Today at the lab.
>
> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=375790225844710&set=vb.434695489928870&type=2&theater
>
> Dr Victor Lazzarini
> Senior Lecturer
> Dept. of Music
> NUI Maynooth Ireland
> tel.: +353 1 708 3545
> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Victor Lazzarini
I have tried very little. I was asked to help get Csound compiled on the machine, then I noticed it was pretty much a debian setup and we got Csound from the repo.
I was running with -b1024 direct to alsa, which I guess should give me ~ 22ms, playing at the keyboard felt OK, but no measurement was made.

The audio quality on the onboard card is not great, but apparently OK on the HDMI output.

Victor
ps.: the videomaker was Steven ;)

On 7 Dec 2012, at 18:59, Andres Cabrera wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
> Cool. I've got a similar setup, and things are working well, although
> latency is around 50ms (not measured, but it's not good, or too bad
> either). I am however having problems with alsa, as sound dies after
> about 10 minutes (faster if the buffers are smaller). Are you
> experinecing the same? I am using raspian and Csound from the
> repositories.
>
> I was reading today that you can actually install jack2 from the
> repositories (I had read before that there was something in the driver
> that prevented jack from working). Have you tried that?
>
> Cheers,
> Andrés
>
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Victor Lazzarini
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Today at the lab.
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=375790225844710&set=vb.434695489928870&type=2&theater
>>
>> Dr Victor Lazzarini
>> Senior Lecturer
>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: +353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: +353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Paul Batchelor-2
I actually got a RPi last month and got Csound working on it as well. I installed it via the package manager. Not sure which version it is, but I think it is pretty recent.

Here is my demo video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7hf98uJZA

I quickly tried the HDMI outputs and found that it couldn't process audio as quickly as the analogue one.

Audio quality improves much more with an external USB audio interface. The Behringer UCA202 (a very linux friendly audio interface) provides a much stronger signal to the speakers.

I really hope to see more things done with the RPi!

-R

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have tried very little. I was asked to help get Csound compiled on the machine, then I noticed it was pretty much a debian setup and we got Csound from the repo.
I was running with -b1024 direct to alsa, which I guess should give me ~ 22ms, playing at the keyboard felt OK, but no measurement was made.

The audio quality on the onboard card is not great, but apparently OK on the HDMI output.

Victor
ps.: the videomaker was Steven ;)

On 7 Dec 2012, at 18:59, Andres Cabrera wrote:

> Hi Victor,
>
> Cool. I've got a similar setup, and things are working well, although
> latency is around 50ms (not measured, but it's not good, or too bad
> either). I am however having problems with alsa, as sound dies after
> about 10 minutes (faster if the buffers are smaller). Are you
> experinecing the same? I am using raspian and Csound from the
> repositories.
>
> I was reading today that you can actually install jack2 from the
> repositories (I had read before that there was something in the driver
> that prevented jack from working). Have you tried that?
>
> Cheers,
> Andrés
>
> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Victor Lazzarini
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Today at the lab.
>>
>> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=375790225844710&set=vb.434695489928870&type=2&theater
>>
>> Dr Victor Lazzarini
>> Senior Lecturer
>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545">+353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545">+353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Steven Yi
Nice video, thanks for posting!

On Sun, Dec 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Ralph Bluecoat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I actually got a RPi last month and got Csound working on it as well. I
> installed it via the package manager. Not sure which version it is, but I
> think it is pretty recent.
>
> Here is my demo video:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7hf98uJZA
>
> I quickly tried the HDMI outputs and found that it couldn't process audio as
> quickly as the analogue one.
>
> Audio quality improves much more with an external USB audio interface. The
> Behringer UCA202 (a very linux friendly audio interface) provides a much
> stronger signal to the speakers.
>
> I really hope to see more things done with the RPi!
>
> -R
>

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 2:10 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I have tried very little. I was asked to help get Csound compiled on the
>> machine, then I noticed it was pretty much a debian setup and we got Csound
>> from the repo.
>> I was running with -b1024 direct to alsa, which I guess should give me ~
>> 22ms, playing at the keyboard felt OK, but no measurement was made.
>>
>> The audio quality on the onboard card is not great, but apparently OK on
>> the HDMI output.
>>
>> Victor
>> ps.: the videomaker was Steven ;)
>>
>> On 7 Dec 2012, at 18:59, Andres Cabrera wrote:
>>
>> > Hi Victor,
>> >
>> > Cool. I've got a similar setup, and things are working well, although
>> > latency is around 50ms (not measured, but it's not good, or too bad
>> > either). I am however having problems with alsa, as sound dies after
>> > about 10 minutes (faster if the buffers are smaller). Are you
>> > experinecing the same? I am using raspian and Csound from the
>> > repositories.
>> >
>> > I was reading today that you can actually install jack2 from the
>> > repositories (I had read before that there was something in the driver
>> > that prevented jack from working). Have you tried that?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Andrés

>> > Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>> >            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>> > To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe
>> > csound"
>> >

>> Dr Victor Lazzarini
>> Senior Lecturer
>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: +353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

>> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>>             https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
>> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe
>> csound"

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Much better video than ours!

Victor
On 9 Dec 2012, at 02:22, Ralph Bluecoat wrote:

> [...]

>> Senior Lecturer
>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545">+353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545">+353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Nice. Have you had success with jack? I've also seen that the audio will stop working after a while ( around 10 minutes in my case) although this seems to depend in buffer sizes.

Cheers,
Andres

On Dec 8, 2012 6:23 PM, "Ralph Bluecoat" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545" target="_blank">+353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545" target="_blank">+353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

No success with jack... yet.

I haven't had the audio stop working completely, but there are times where it completely chokes and I have to turn it off.

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

>> Dept. of Music
>> NUI Maynooth Ireland
>> tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545" target="_blank">+353 1 708 3545
>> Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie
>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini
Senior Lecturer
Dept. of Music
NUI Maynooth Ireland
tel.: <a href="tel:%2B353%201%20708%203545" value="+35317083545" target="_blank">+353 1 708 3545
Victor dot Lazzarini AT nuim dot ie

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

rorywalsh
Hi Victor, Steven, any chance you could post it somewhere that doesn't
involve registration? I'm eager to see it.

On 12 December 2012 14:41, Ralph Bluecoat <[hidden email]> wrote:

> No success with jack... yet.
>
> I haven't had the audio stop working completely, but there are times where
> it completely chokes and I have to turn it off.
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Andres Cabrera <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Nice. Have you had success with jack? I've also seen that the audio will
>> stop working after a while ( around 10 minutes in my case) although this
>> seems to depend in buffer sizes.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Andres
>>
>> On Dec 8, 2012 6:23 PM, "Ralph Bluecoat" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I actually got a RPi last month and got Csound working on it as well. I
>>> installed it via the package manager. Not sure which version it is, but I
>>> think it is pretty recent.
>>>
>>> Here is my demo video:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7hf98uJZA
>>>
>>> I quickly tried the HDMI outputs and found that it couldn't process audio
>>> as quickly as the analogue one.
>>>
>>> Audio quality improves much more with an external USB audio interface.
>>> The Behringer UCA202 (a very linux friendly audio interface) provides a much
>>> stronger signal to the speakers.
>>>
>>> I really hope to see more things done with the RPi!
>>>
>>> -R

Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body "unsubscribe csound"

Re: csound on raspberry pi

Victor Lazzarini
What do you mean registration? You should be able to see the video without logging into fakebook

> Hi Victor, Steven, any chance you could post it somewhere that doesn't
> involve registration? I'm eager to see it.
>

> On 12 December 2012 14:41, Ralph Bluecoat
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > No success with jack... yet.
> >
> > I haven't had the audio stop working completely, but there are
> times where
> > it completely chokes and I have to turn it off.
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:28 PM, Andres Cabrera
> <[hidden email]>> wrote:
> >>
> >> Nice. Have you had success with jack? I've also seen that the
> audio will
> >> stop working after a while ( around 10 minutes in my case)
> although this
> >> seems to depend in buffer sizes.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Andres

> as well. I
> it is, but I

> process audio

> interface.>>> The Behringer UCA202 (a very linux friendly audio
> interface) provides a much

> compiled on the
> and we got Csound
> should give me ~
> was made.

> apparently OK on

> well, although
> or too bad
> dies after

> from the
> in the driver

> https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=375790225844710&set=vb.434695489928870&type=2&theater>>>> >>

> >            https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599

> "unsubscribe>>>> csound"
> >>>>

> Send bugs reports to the Sourceforge bug tracker
>             https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=81968&atid=564599
> To unsubscribe, send email [hidden email] with body
> "unsubscribe csound"

Dr Victor Lazzarini, Senior Lecturer, Dept. of Music,
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Re: csound on raspberry pi

rorywalsh
It works now, perhaps it was my phone. Thanks for sharing.