blue files not opening

mike_j
Hi All,

I have installed blue on windows 10 - when attempting to open a .blue file (from the university of sheffield sound studios toolkit) nothing happens. The splash screen loads up to #starting modules' and then doesn't proceed any further. Blue itself will open if I launch the application, although I do end up with two instances on the task bar (I have pinned the blue application there - image uploaded)

I installed the java 8 developers kit, and deleted the config file in the AppData(as it was previously causing an error clash )

any assistance appreciated

Mike_J

Re: blue files not opening

Steven Yi
Hi Mike,

I'm not sure I've seen this before.  Could you clarify:

1. what version of Csound do you have installed?
2. When the program opens but freezes, are you just double-clicking a
.blue file?  (which would mean there's some kind of file association
that's been added for .blue files)
3. What version of Blue are you using?  Are you using blue.exe or blue64.exe?
4. Are any of the files on a network drive?

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 2:53 PM, mike_j <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have installed blue on windows 10 - when attempting to open a .blue file
> (from the university of sheffield sound studios toolkit) nothing happens.
> The splash screen loads up to #starting modules' and then doesn't proceed
> any further. Blue itself will open if I launch the application, although I
> do end up with two instances on the task bar (I have pinned the blue
> application there - image uploaded)
>
> I installed the java 8 developers kit, and deleted the config file in the
> AppData(as it was previously causing an error clash )
>
> any assistance appreciated
>
> Mike_J

Re: blue files not opening

mike_j
Hi Steven,

thank you for swift reply ;

I have Csound_64 installed,

I am double clicking to open - to clarify , it does not freeze but seems to exit after splash screen

I have associated .blue files with the blue program

It appears to be blue.exe

the files are all on my local drive,

hope this information helps, thank you!

Re: blue files not opening

Steven Yi
Hi Mike,

I would try to modify the association to go with blue64.exe and not
blue.exe. Also, blue will write output to a log file, found in:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\.blue\dev\var\log\messages.log

When you get the situation where the program opens/closes, check the
log to see if there is anything strange (you can email me a copy of
the log to review as well).

You might also try deleting (or moving out of the way) the var\cache
folder within that folder hierarchy. Also, if you installed Blue
yourself, be sure to not copy the unzipped Blue folder over an
existing Blue installation, which could cause problems.

Finally, could you mention what version of Blue you are using?

Cheers!
steven

On Sun, Feb 12, 2017 at 5:00 PM, mike_j <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> thank you for swift reply ;
>
> I have Csound_64 installed,
>
> I am double clicking to open - to clarify , it does not freeze but seems to
> exit after splash screen
>
> I have associated .blue files with the blue program
>
> It appears to be blue.exe
>
> the files are all on my local drive,
>
> hope this information helps, thank you!

Re: blue files not opening

mike_j
Hey Steven

messages.log

I have uploaded the log file - there appear to be a few warning messages in it, but I am not really fluent enough with code to understand it

I tried opening with the blue64 app but still get the same issues - I downloaded 2.6.0 today ( I had 2.5.xx). I deleted the 2.5 download but could not find an uninstall option, if it is needed.

I also deleted the cache folder and tried opening .blue file, but it still crashes

Hope this helps,

Re: blue files not opening

Steven Yi
Hi Mike,

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in that log. One thing though
is that I'd recommend using 2.6.1 as that was the last released,
instead of 2.6.0.  2.6.1 can be found at:

https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/releases/tag/2.6.1

At this point, could you send me a copy of the .blue file?  Perhaps
I'll find out something here if I try opening it myself.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:53 AM, mike_j <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hey Steven
>
> messages.log
> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/n5754558/messages.log>
>
> I have uploaded the log file - there appear to be a few warning messages in
> it, but I am not really fluent enough with code to understand it
>
> I tried opening with the blue64 app but still get the same issues - I
> downloaded 2.6.0 today ( I had 2.5.xx). I deleted the 2.5 download but could
> not find an uninstall option, if it is needed.
>
> I also deleted the cache folder and tried opening .blue file, but it still
> crashes
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Mike

Re: blue files not opening

mike_j
Hey Steven,

Success with the latest build!

Thank you for time and patience, greatly appreciated

all the best

Re: blue files not opening

Steven Yi
Hi Mike,