Quantcast

blue Live Note-Off event

ebmtranceboy
Hi Steven,
Can you please tell me if the detection of a Midi Note-Off event in blue Live is right-away converted in a call to turnoff, or if there is a way to tell blue to do something (exponential decay for instance) just before the turning-off ?
Thanks

Re: blue Live Note-Off event

Steven Yi
Not exactly a call to turnoff, but essentially the same. Note-ons and
note-offs are converted into tied note pairs, and the midi key is used
as the fractional num of an instrument, for example:

i1.80 0 -2 80 80
i-1.80 0 0

The note-off will use the negative-p1 feature to turn off a held note.
To handle release envelopes, you should use one of the -r family of
opcodes, such as linsegr, expsegr, etc. This not unlike MIDI, where
the note off signals to the instrument to turn off a note, and the
instrument handles what to do.

What opcodes do internally that use a release stage is set a value on
the instrument instance for release.  Csound, when it goes to process
a note, will keep processing it until either it's duration is over,
or, for a held note, until that note is turned off.  However, when it
goes to turn off, csound will then check the release value to see if
it's greater than 0.  If so, it will continue to process for that
release time and opcodes can check if the instance is currently in the
release stage and if so, do things like release envelopes.

One thing I just realized is that the midi note processing needs a
fix, as fractional instrument numbers need to be generated with
padding so that midi note 1 generates as "1.001" instead of "1.1".
There's a possible bug now if you hit midi note 1, 10, and 100, you'll
get "1.1", "1.10", and "1.100", which csound interprets as all the
same.  I will make a fix shortly and have a couple other features I am
finishing up that will go into a small, mostly bug fix release that
will be used for the csound conference workshop this weekend.

Let me know if you have any further questions!
steven

On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM, ebmtranceboy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
> Can you please tell me if the detection of a Midi Note-Off event in blue
> Live is right-away converted in a call to turnoff, or if there is a way to
> tell blue to do something (exponential decay for instance) just before the
> turning-off ?
> Thanks

Re: blue Live Note-Off event

ebmtranceboy
thank you Steven
By the way, I think you haven't seen a question I asked  you a few days ago  in the "blue Live midi question" thread (and for which I hope you say yes!):

> have you planned to implement a functionnality that enables a same MIDI signal to trigger several different
> instruments (as it is currently possible with the midish virtual solution) ?
> I don't have any particular example where that could be useful but I like the idea that I'm able to do it if I want.

Re: blue Live Note-Off event

Steven Yi
I'm not sure exactly about this situation in regard to recording.
Doing the multiplexing to generate multiple instruments is easy
enough, but the tricky part about implementing all this is when you go
to record and generating a pianoRoll to a layer, how to go about it.
I think for now I need to get the initial MIDI recording done first
before I can really think this part through as it's taking a lot of
mental space to get this initial part done.