arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
is there a binary package for Arch linux?
I tried to pacman it and it is not showing up
Can someone point me to a binary or sources that may compile?

Thank you!

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Jeanette C.
Jun 28 2017, Patrick.Pagano~ has written:

> is there a binary package for Arch linux?
Hey Patrick,
use pacman to install aurget and then use aurget to install csound. AUR
is the Arch User Repository and contains "unofficial" packages. That's
oversimplifying the matter, but it does the job. I run Csound 6.09 from
june 17 of this year.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

There's a girl in the mirror
I wonder who she is
Sometimes I think I know her
Sometimes I really wish I did <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
AH thank you
I am old school redhat, ubuntu and debian so i am getting used to the intricacies of arch

thanks!

Patrick

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
i updated the repositories with

pacman -Sy

but when i run pacman -S aurget

no target found

am i missing something?

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Steven Yi
Maybe pacman -Ss aurget ? (at least, on MSYS2, pacman -Ss is what I use)

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 11:44 AM, Patrick.Pagano~ <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i updated the repositories with
>
> pacman -Sy
>
> but when i run pacman -S aurget
>
> no target found
>
> am i missing something?

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
i tried that too, nothing shows up. i even imported a huge list of other repos
i am at a loss now

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Jeanette C.
Jun 28 2017, Patrick.Pagano~ has written:
> but when i run pacman -S aurget
>
> no target found
I seem to recall now that I didn't install aurget from pacman. Try
looking for sources. On the Archwiki there's also an article about how
to install packages from AUR. aurget is just a simple alternative, since
it's very similar to pacman, in the simple operations.

Best Wishes,

Jeanette

--------
* website: http://juliencoder.de - for summer is a state of sound

I can't believe it's what I see
That the girl in the mirror
The girl in the mirror Is me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
hi Jeanette and thanks
i grabbed it from a repo and i can see csound now
but because i am root on an read-only /having to mount the drive i do not have a regular user so i cannot
run mkpkg -si as root
so i am considering a user thing now

The organelle is a read only linux machine running arch 32
It runs pd really well and i am trying to run csoundapi~ on it

I tested everything on a raspi yesterday and found i could get a working version with installing
csound-deps, csound and pd-csound
tested with .CSDs and pd and it works well so i want to port it into the organelle somewhat holistically
unless there's a binary install i can drop in there :-) but that coudl get messy

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Anton Kholomiov
Maybe it's worth to try out pacaur?

Install pacaur:

~~~
sudo pacman -S expac yajl --noconfirm
gpg --recv-keys --keyserver hkp://pgp.mit.edu 1EB2638FF56C0C53
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/cower.git
cd cower
makepkg -si
cd ..
git clone https://aur.archlinux.org/pacaur.git
cd pacaur
makepkg -si
cd ..
~~~

Install csound from aur

~~~
pacaur -S csound
~~~

hi Jeanette and thanks
i grabbed it from a repo and i can see csound now
but because i am root on an read-only /having to mount the drive i do not
have a regular user so i cannot
run mkpkg -si as root
so i am considering a user thing now

The organelle is a read only linux machine running arch 32
It runs pd really well and i am trying to run csoundapi~ on it

I tested everything on a raspi yesterday and found i could get a working
version with installing
csound-deps, csound and pd-csound
tested with .CSDs and pd and it works well so i want to port it into the
organelle somewhat holistically
unless there's a binary install i can drop in there :-) but that coudl get
messy

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Zoë Sparks
> i grabbed it from a repo and i can see csound now
> but because i am root on an read-only /having to mount the drive i do not
> have a regular user so i cannot
> run mkpkg -si as root
> so i am considering a user thing now

If you're already root, any commands you enter should run as root…unless
I'm missing something…?

> tested with .CSDs and pd and it works well so i want to port it into the
> organelle somewhat holistically
> unless there's a binary install i can drop in there :-) but that coudl get
> messy

Since it's not an official package, you have to build it from source. I
can't quite tell if you're already using an AUR helper like Jeanette
suggested with aurget (I use yaourt but I think any of the ones listed
here should be fine:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_helpers#Build_and_search). That
will make the process much easier.

You can install the AUR helper of your choice by following the
instructions here:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_User_Repository#Installing_packages.
After that you can use it to install csound; it should be easy.

As a side note, I strongly recommend not installing it by hand, at least
not system-wide—that can cause a lot of problems. However you go about
it, I think it's definitely best to use a PKGBUILD. If the supplied
PKGBUILD for csound doesn't work well with your environment in some way,
you can always modify it before starting the build process.

Good luck,
Zoë

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
i got aurget to work
i created a user to be able to  makepkg -si
it finds everything then dies on the keys

this is what i call the linux rabbithole and i used to love it now mmmm, not so much

i had done a mirror install on a raspberry/debian

plucked everything from /usr/lib/cound
/usr/lib libcsound.x.x
/usr/bin stuff created by the install

moved it all over and replaced it.

csound6~.pd_linux works and the demo runs

can someone point me to a good example of csound running in RT without a sco
or how to set the .CSD so it runs in RT? please
and effect or something, i have to dig up my instruments on a harddrive now :-)

happy csounding!

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
this is not a system wide user situation, i would normally have a devel build and a working binary until i figured it out but with a closed system i just need pd and csound to play nice and they do, the system rebooted and i just need to test some sort of heavy processing CSD to test attrition/processing draw

i would be grateful for an example.

i have a ton of granular stuff

Re: [Csnd] arch linux csound

Patrick.Pagano~
Thanks!
I have been stepping through them this weekend