Unanticipated host error

Chuckk Hubbard
I usually only get this when using Blue, but it appears to be a Csound
error message:  Portaudio error -9999: unanticipated host error.
I haven't noticed anything unusual about when it happens, just that it
happens after I've been working for a while, and refuses to play until
I reboot.  After I reboot, it plays with no problem.

I'm using Csound5, the June version Istvan posted, with a
portaudio.dll.0.0.19 borrowed from Victor for the use of ASIO, which
is what I've been using when it happens.

I don't know if this is related, but if I stop Blue during playback my
soundcard hangs on whatever sound it was making until I either reboot
or go into standby mode.  Standby mode does not fix the first problem,
but it works on this one.  I found if I put the flags in the
"<CsOptions>" field instead of the "Command" field, it doesn't do
this, but I get dropouts instead.  This peculiarity doesn't carry over
to running Csound from commandline, there it hangs regardless.

Can anyone tell me what's happening?
-Chuckk
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Unanticipated host error

Istvan Varga
Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I usually only get this when using Blue, but it appears to be a Csound
> error message:  Portaudio error -9999: unanticipated host error.
> I haven't noticed anything unusual about when it happens, just that it
> happens after I've been working for a while, and refuses to play until
> I reboot.  After I reboot, it plays with no problem.

This is probably caused by the sound device not being correctly closed
at end of performance. I will build a new Win32 release to see if the
recent changes to the PortAudio plugin (which did include fixes to closing
the sound device) fix the problem.

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Unanticipated host error

Chuckk Hubbard
I created a long soundObject in Blue to work with, and only have a few
seconds of notes in it.  It renders the whole thing, and I usually
just stop it after the music.  I guess I'll try not doing that.

-Chuckk

On 7/12/05, Istvan Varga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > I usually only get this when using Blue, but it appears to be a Csound
> > error message:  Portaudio error -9999: unanticipated host error.
> > I haven't noticed anything unusual about when it happens, just that it
> > happens after I've been working for a while, and refuses to play until
> > I reboot.  After I reboot, it plays with no problem.
>
> This is probably caused by the sound device not being correctly closed
> at end of performance. I will build a new Win32 release to see if the
> recent changes to the PortAudio plugin (which did include fixes to closing
> the sound device) fix the problem.
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Unanticipated host error

Chuckk Hubbard
I was just working with Blue and realized I can set begin and end
compile time separately from events.  Steven just added this a month
ago and there was plenty of talk about it, I guess it just slipped my
mind.  I don't know if it will completely prevent the host error, but
from what you say I suspect it might.

The other times Csound would hang, I recall, were when I had buffer
problems and tried to close it.  If I try to do too much, it skips
incessantly, and hangs forever even with a 10-second score.  The only
way I can end Csound then is from task manager, which leaves a
permanent hanging note.  I don't guess that can be avoided.