Trouble installing ctcsound (Python module)

Trouble installing ctcsound (Python module)

boleszek
Hello,

I am new to Csound, but not to Python. I want to start using Csound through python. As far as I can tell from other forums, the csnd6 module is being deprecated, and the ctcsound is the latest Python API to use (is this correct?).

I downloaded Csound for MacOS from the sourceforge website and was hoping that ctcsound would come with it. But when I tried to import the module (by import ctcsound into Jupyter Notebook) I got the error "No module named 'ctcsound'". I then naively tried to run "pip instal ctcsound" in my terminal window, but was met with a different error:
"Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ctcsound (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for ctcsound"

So I'm simply stuck very early in the game. How do I install ctcsound?

Thank you,
Bo

Re: [Csnd] Trouble installing ctcsound (Python module)

Victor Lazzarini-2
The versions in sourceforge are very old. Check our csound.github.io for the latest.

> On 2 Aug 2017, at 23:33, boleszek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am new to Csound, but not to Python. I want to start using Csound through
> python. As far as I can tell from other forums, the csnd6 module is being
> deprecated, and the ctcsound is the latest Python API to use (is this
> correct?).
>
> I downloaded Csound for MacOS from the sourceforge website and was hoping
> that ctcsound would come with it. But when I tried to import the module (by
> import ctcsound into Jupyter Notebook) I got the error "No module named
> 'ctcsound'". I then naively tried to run "pip instal ctcsound" in my
> terminal window, but was met with a different error:
> "Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement ctcsound (from
> versions: )
> No matching distribution found for ctcsound"
>
> So I'm simply stuck very early in the game. How do I install ctcsound?
>
> Thank you,
> Bo

Re: [Csnd] Trouble installing ctcsound (Python module)

Francois PINOT
To use ctcsound, you need Csound6.07 or higher and numpy. You can read some jupyter notebooks about the use of ctcsound in the cookbook here: https://github.com/fggp/ctcsound

I recommend you to use the ctcsound.py file shipped with your csound distro, because the one in the github repo might contain new functions from the developing branch of csound which could not link with the libs in your distro.

François

[...]

Thanks for the quick answers!

I uninstalled csound 6.06 (by deleting all files associated with it) and installed csound 6.09. Indeed, 6.09 comes with ctcsound as you said. When I first tried to import ctcsound in Jupyter Notebook I still got an error because ctcsound wasn't in my python path. So I added the directory of the ctcsound.py file to my python path (it took me a little while, but I found the file in /Library/Frameworks/CsoundLib64.framework/Versions/6.0/Resources/Python/Current/ctcsound.py).

I'm now able to import the module. Is this all I really need to do to use it, or are there some dependancies I will need to add to the path as well?

Thanks,

Bo

Re: [Csnd] Trouble installing ctcsound (Python module)

boleszek
OK great! Numpy and matplotlib are a given. I was worried that there might be some other custom written modules to include. Thank you for providing us with this great tool!

Cheers,

Bo