Threads in csound

Iain Duncan
Just wondering whether it is pthreads that csound5 uses. If I am trying
to learn more about threaded programming with an interest towards cross
platform audio apps is pthreads the way to go? And how does one start
using it with mingw?

Thanks
Iain

Re: Threads in csound

Victor Lazzarini
pthreads is supported just about everywhere (even on Windows
with winpthread), so it's a good idea. However, csound on
windows seems to be using the win32 native threads.

Victor

> Just wondering whether it is pthreads that csound5 uses.
> If I am trying  to learn more about threaded programming
> with an interest towards cross  platform audio apps is
> pthreads the way to go? And how does one start  using it
> with mingw?
>
> Thanks
> Iain

Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Michael Gogins
I can't build Csound 5 any more for MinGW. Something got screwed up in
SConstruct after 1.224 or so. I've been trying to pin down the problem to no
avail. None of the header files can be found, starting with sndfile.h, even
though they are installed on my system in /usr/local/include, which is also
part of the SCons environment.

I do see that there are tabs, spaces, and varying sizes of indentation. For
Python, this is bad practice. Please use tabs not spaces and the indentation
sizes that are present in the majority of the file. Better yet, use Idle or
a Python editor to edit the file.

Even with SConstruct 1.224, Csound runs much, much, much more slowly than it
used to.

What gives?

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Michael Gogins
I take back what I said about spaces and tabs. The problem is that noDebug
is not consistent with gcc3Opt (I don't know why it can't be).  If one
speciefies gcc3opt=0, one must specify noDebug=1, otherwise, no build.

Can the SConstruct file written to change the noDebug option to match the
gcc Opt options, or failing that, work with either debugging or no debugging
if not optimized?

>I can't build Csound 5 any more for MinGW. Something got screwed up in
>SConstruct after 1.224 or so. I've been trying to pin down the problem to
>no avail. None of the header files can be found, starting with sndfile.h,
>even though they are installed on my system in /usr/local/include, which is
>also part of the SCons environment.
>
> I do see that there are tabs, spaces, and varying sizes of indentation.
> For Python, this is bad practice. Please use tabs not spaces and the
> indentation sizes that are present in the majority of the file. Better
> yet, use Idle or a Python editor to edit the file.
>
> Even with SConstruct 1.224, Csound runs much, much, much more slowly than
> it used to.
>
> What gives?
>
> Mike

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Istvan Varga
Michael Gogins wrote:

> I do see that there are tabs, spaces, and varying sizes of indentation.

That's odd. As far as I know, there are no tabs in SConstuct at all,
it only uses spaces.

> Even with SConstruct 1.224, Csound runs much, much, much more slowly
> than it used to.

SConstruct 1.224 is very old (2005 May 19). The current version is 1.266.

Michael Gogins wrote:

> I take back what I said about spaces and tabs. The problem is that
> noDebug is not consistent with gcc3Opt (I don't know why it can't be).
> If one speciefies gcc3opt=0, one must specify noDebug=1, otherwise, no
> build.

I do not have this error, and can build with noDebug=0 and noDebug=1
if gcc3opt=0 is set. If gcc3opt is not disabled, then noDebug is ignored
as optimized code (particulary with -fomit-frame-pointer) is generally
not well suited for debugging.
Here is the relevant part of SConstruct:

if (commonEnvironment['useLrint'] != '0'):
   commonEnvironment.Prepend(CCFLAGS = ['-DUSE_LRINT'])
if (commonEnvironment['gcc3opt'] != '0' or commonEnvironment['gcc4opt'] != '0'):
elif (commonEnvironment['noDebug']=='0'):
   if (getPlatform() == 'darwin'):
     commonEnvironment.Prepend(CCFLAGS = Split('-g -O2'))
   else:
     commonEnvironment.Prepend(CCFLAGS = Split('-g -gstabs -O2'))
else:
   commonEnvironment.Prepend(CCFLAGS = ['-O2'])

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

You are right about tabs, it is all spaces, though they are inconsistent.
But that's not a problem. I got 1.266 to work fine once I realized how to
set the flags.

Csound still runs much, much, much more slowly than it did, and that's still
a problem.

>> I do see that there are tabs, spaces, and varying sizes of indentation.
>
> That's odd. As far as I know, there are no tabs in SConstuct at all,
> it only uses spaces.
>
>> Even with SConstruct 1.224, Csound runs much, much, much more slowly than
>> it used to.
>
> SConstruct 1.224 is very old (2005 May 19). The current version is 1.266.

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Victor Lazzarini
What are your stats for trapped? Here (win2k P4 2.8), I get:

Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 10.596s, CPU: 10.609s

That's with MSVC. I expect that gcc with the optmisations can run
faster.

Victor

At 15:21 04/07/2005, Michael Gogins wrote:

>You are right about tabs, it is all spaces, though they are inconsistent.
>But that's not a problem. I got 1.266 to work fine once I realized how to
>set the flags.
>
>Csound still runs much, much, much more slowly than it did, and that's
>still a problem.
>
>Regards,
>Mike
>
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Istvan Varga" <[hidden email]>

Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

And another thing, whenever I run Csound now I always get a dialog for ASIO,
even when I am only rendering to a soundfile. Perhaps this is related to the
slowdown?

For example, trapped used to render to soundfile in 10 to 14 seconds, now I
just rendered to soundfile in 184 seconds.

Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> What are your stats for trapped? Here (win2k P4 2.8), I get:
>
> Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 10.596s, CPU: 10.609s
>
> That's with MSVC. I expect that gcc with the optmisations can run
> faster.

I get about the same results on a 1.3 GHz Celeron (Pentium III),
csound compiled with gcc3opt=pentium3 and single precision floats.

Michael Gogins wrote:

> And another thing, whenever I run Csound now I always get a dialog for
> ASIO, even when I am only rendering to a soundfile. Perhaps this is
> related to the slowdown?

What happens if you set -+rtaudio=winmm ?

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Used to render in 10 to 14 seconds, now renders in 184 seconds.

>> What are your stats for trapped? Here (win2k P4 2.8), I get:
>>
>> Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 10.596s, CPU: 10.609s
>>
>> That's with MSVC. I expect that gcc with the optmisations can run
>> faster.
>
> I get about the same results on a 1.3 GHz Celeron (Pentium III),
> csound compiled with gcc3opt=pentium3 and single precision floats.

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Why would I do that? I am trying to render to a soundfile.

Anyway, if I set -+raudio=winmm, I no longer get the ASIO dialog, but I
still render TO SOUNDFILE much, much, much more slowly than before.

Michael Gogins wrote:

> Why would I do that? I am trying to render to a soundfile.
>
> Anyway, if I set -+raudio=winmm, I no longer get the ASIO dialog, but I
> still render TO SOUNDFILE much, much, much more slowly than before.

Well, you wrote that the slowdown may be related to the ASIO dialog,
so it was interesting to see what happens if it is disabled.
Another question is whether the slowdown occurs only in CsoundVST,
or also with the simple command line frontend ?

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Michael Gogins
The slowdown applies both to csound, which is what I always first test, and
also to CsoundVST.

I am now building without FLTK to see if that makes a difference.

>> Why would I do that? I am trying to render to a soundfile.
>>
>> Anyway, if I set -+raudio=winmm, I no longer get the ASIO dialog, but I
>> still render TO SOUNDFILE much, much, much more slowly than before.
>
> Well, you wrote that the slowdown may be related to the ASIO dialog,
> so it was interesting to see what happens if it is disabled.
> Another question is whether the slowdown occurs only in CsoundVST,
> or also with the simple command line frontend ?

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Oops, I must apologize.

I was testing with a version of trapped.csd with sr = 96000 and ksmps = 1
that I had modified for ABX comparisons of sound quality between double and
float.

I just got 14 seconds, so things have not actually changed, except for the
annoying ASIO dialog if I omit -+rtaudio=winmm (-+rtaudio=null also works).

So sorry!

Michael Gogins wrote:

> I just got 14 seconds, so things have not actually changed, except for
> the annoying ASIO dialog if I omit -+rtaudio=winmm (-+rtaudio=null also
> works).

Does the ASIO dialog still appear after updating from CVS ?

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

Michael Gogins
I will let you know in a few minutes.

Michael Gogins wrote:

> I take back what I said about spaces and tabs. The problem is that
> noDebug is not consistent with gcc3Opt (I don't know why it can't be).
> If one speciefies gcc3opt=0, one must specify noDebug=1, otherwise, no
> build.

It may be of some help to have a look at the config.log file that is
generated with the settings that result in the error.

Re: Bad SConstruct, slow csound

OK, no ASIO dialog now, thanks for fixing this so quickly.