Spiral Synthesis

Steven Yi
Hi all,

I had read Tracy Lind Peterson's article on Spiral Synthesis a number
of months ago and never got around to giving it a try, but a few weeks
ago I stumbled upon this site:

http://staff.washington.edu/bradleyb/spiralsynth/spiral.html

Which has both the original article and a csound implementation.  I
have modified the code to be a Csound5 plugin and it seems to load,
but I have not figured out how to use the opcode. I tried contacting
the author of the csound opcode but have not heard back a couple of
weeks now.  Has anyone tried this, and are there any sound examples on
the internet?

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Spiral Synthesis

Michael Gogins
Ages ago, way back in 1979 or 1980, I actually knew Tracy Petersen... don't think that helps with your questions, though.

Re: Spiral Synthesis

Anthony Kozar
The spiral opcode by Bradley Bell is included in my Opcode Plugin Pack A,
released last January.  I modified his code to make it a Csound 4 plugin and
fixed some inconsistencies between the code loop and the arg types.

I tried to make useful or interesting sounds with it but was unsucessful at
coming up with anything that seemed to show the "advantages" of the
technique.  I also emailed Mr. Bell and received no reply.  There is an
example orchestra though for the opcode in my plugin pack:

http://akozar.spymac.com/csound-macos/#plugin-pack-a

Anthony Kozar
[hidden email]
http://akozar.spymac.net/

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Spiral Synthesis <30681316.1124402652122.JavaMail.root@mswamui-backed.atl.sa.earthlink.net> (message from Michael Gogins on Thu

Hum,... I taught Tracey Petersen in 1978, but only graduate level programming
languages (APL, LISP, and two others I forget)
==John ffitch
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Spiral Synthesis

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the example in your plugin pack.  I found to that it didn't
really yield much (no audio and very high output levels, sometimes
nan).  I guess if it was more popular there would have been more on it
on the net and elsewhere. =o

steven

On 8/18/05, Anthony Kozar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The spiral opcode by Bradley Bell is included in my Opcode Plugin Pack A,
> released last January.  I modified his code to make it a Csound 4 plugin and
> fixed some inconsistencies between the code loop and the arg types.
>
> I tried to make useful or interesting sounds with it but was unsucessful at
> coming up with anything that seemed to show the "advantages" of the
> technique.  I also emailed Mr. Bell and received no reply.  There is an
> example orchestra though for the opcode in my plugin pack:
>
> http://akozar.spymac.com/csound-macos/#plugin-pack-a
>
> Anthony Kozar
> [hidden email]
> http://akozar.spymac.net/
>

> Steven Yi wrote on 8/18/05 5:11 PM:
>
> > http://staff.washington.edu/bradleyb/spiralsynth/spiral.html
> >
> > Which has both the original article and a csound implementation.  I
> > have modified the code to be a Csound5 plugin and it seems to load,
> > but I have not figured out how to use the opcode. I tried contacting
> > the author of the csound opcode but have not heard back a couple of
> > weeks now.  Has anyone tried this, and are there any sound examples on
> > the internet?
>
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Spiral Synthesis

Anthony Kozar
Hi Steven,

I hope that you got some audio from my example because you should have!  If
not, you could do a diff between my source code and yours -- I did fix a bug
or two.

The problem with the method (or at least the implementation) is that the
carrier amplitude value is multiplied by itself on each sample.  So, if it
is not 1.00, then the sound either explodes or dies too quickly.  The sounds
produced with acar at 1.00 just sound like FM to me.  (And indeed, I think
they ARE just FM with an exponential envelope and no control over the mod

Maybe there are some other possibilities that I do not see or understand,
but other than the two outputs in phase quadrature, there does not seem to
be anything interesting about the method.

Anthony Kozar
[hidden email]
http://akozar.spymac.net/

--