Searching for my ideal MIDI slider bank for live Csound

Searching for my ideal MIDI slider bank for live Csound

abhunkin
Does anyone know of a MIDI slider bank (control surface) that meets the
following criteria? I can't seem to find one, though a few come close.

1) USB, deriving power from computer. (Wall-wart/AC power supplies are a
needless nuisance, and performance on a laptop is a requirement today.)

2) At least 16 CC sliders arranged linearly or in two stacked rows of 8.
Sliders should be 60mm throw or more. CC numbering should be consecutive in
banks of 8 (i.e., some configuration should permit this).

3) At least 8 buttons arranged linearly, preferably under corresponding
sliders. Buttons programmable for *toggling* note on/note off.

4) Buttons have corresponding LED's to show state on or off.

5) Compact footprint. (This rules out any units incorporating even a 25-note
keyboard. Portability is again important.)

The *closest* units I've seen so far are: 1) the Niche Automation Station
(long since out of production), which has everything except USB. (It's
basically a Peavey1600 with LED's.) 2) The Evolution U-Control UC-33, which
is limited to 9 sliders, but has *3* other nicely aligned sets of 8 rotary
pots. (No LED's, and the buttons are *not* user-friendly in their
arrangement.)

Any hardware info (recommendations) to share?

FWIW, the above hypothetical unit could perform *all* the live Csound pieces
I've done - portably, on a laptop.

Art Hunkins

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Searching for my ideal MIDI slider bank for live Csound

Iain Duncan
Art, you can't beat these for your purposes.
www.midibox.org

If you get the pcb kits made by smash tv, it is totally doable as a
beginner project. I had done no soldering before and have had no problems.

By the way, the Niche is really bad. I got one off a friend for $50 Can,
so I don't mind it for that price, but the firmware is awful, the scan
rate very low, the buttons not debounced properly, etc. The only usable
thing is the faders if you're only going to use them for slow movements.
I've heard bad things about the Evolution quality as well, while the
Peavey stuff is at least well made. So is Doepfer.

Iain

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Searching for my ideal MIDI slider bank for live Csound

abhunkin
Thanks for your suggestions, Iain.

Do you know whether Midibox can be built with USB? (I don't see any
indication that it can.) What stuff did you build into *your* box? I just
might try building one myself.

My requirements for fast-sampled controls must not be very great; for one
thing, I nearly always move controls slowly; for another (maybe because I
use a lot of slowly-sampled controls!), I always add some glide (port) to
smooth them out. Obviously, latency is not an issue for me!

A good way to test the resolution of any control is to assign it to
amplitude and see how much "hash" you get sliding it up and down. One of the
reasons I like longer-throw sliders is because you get less of that.

I'm familiar with Doepfer (great) and Peavey; with the latter, the 1600
seems much better resolution for sliders than the Studiomix (the latter
being motorized), though they're both 60mm sliders.

Art Hunkins
> Art, you can't beat these for your purposes.
> www.midibox.org
>
> If you get the pcb kits made by smash tv, it is totally doable as a
> beginner project. I had done no soldering before and have had no problems.
>
> By the way, the Niche is really bad. I got one off a friend for $50 Can,
> so I don't mind it for that price, but the firmware is awful, the scan
> rate very low, the buttons not debounced properly, etc. The only usable
> thing is the faders if you're only going to use them for slow movements.
> I've heard bad things about the Evolution quality as well, while the
> Peavey stuff is at least well made. So is Doepfer.
>
> Iain
>
> Art Hunkins wrote:
> > Does anyone know of a MIDI slider bank (control surface) that meets the
> > following criteria? I can't seem to find one, though a few come close.
> >
> > 1) USB, deriving power from computer. (Wall-wart/AC power supplies are a
> > needless nuisance, and performance on a laptop is a requirement today.)
> >
> > 2) At least 16 CC sliders arranged linearly or in two stacked rows of 8.
> > Sliders should be 60mm throw or more. CC numbering should be consecutive
in
> > banks of 8 (i.e., some configuration should permit this).
> >
> > 3) At least 8 buttons arranged linearly, preferably under corresponding
> > sliders. Buttons programmable for *toggling* note on/note off.
> >
> > 4) Buttons have corresponding LED's to show state on or off.
> >
> > 5) Compact footprint. (This rules out any units incorporating even a
25-note
> > keyboard. Portability is again important.)
> >

> > The *closest* units I've seen so far are: 1) the Niche Automation
Station
> > (long since out of production), which has everything except USB. (It's
> > basically a Peavey1600 with LED's.) 2) The Evolution U-Control UC-33,
which
> > is limited to 9 sliders, but has *3* other nicely aligned sets of 8
rotary
> > pots. (No LED's, and the buttons are *not* user-friendly in their
> > arrangement.)
> >
> > Any hardware info (recommendations) to share?
> >
> > FWIW, the above hypothetical unit could perform *all* the live Csound
pieces
> > I've done - portably, on a laptop.
> >
> > Art Hunkins
> >
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Searching for my ideal MIDI slider bank for live Csound

Chuckk Hubbard
I got a UC-33e, and I'm pretty pleased.  The knobs have some room between 0 and 1, but the resolution is okay, the controls don't stick, and it's completely programmable.  There is also drawbar mode, which reverses the faders.  Although it seems that if a button is set to the standard note on/off cc, it will not toggle, it sends note off on release.  I had to set it to cc 119 to get it to toggle.  I'm guessing that's not a problem for you, using Csound.
Also, you can set a global MIDI channel which affects all controls set to channel 00, but controls not set to 00 are unaffected.  I don't know if that's standard, but it's a cool idea.

On 10/29/05, Art Hunkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"