Score End Time

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I've been working on something in blue and thought I would achieve a
score end time feature just through blue, but I realized the effect
wouldn't be quite what I want.  In blue, one can now set both a render
start time and render end time, as well as looping for that section
while rendering.  What I am curious about is if there is a score
statement I could use that would end csound's rendering at a given
time.  I originally thought that I would be able to truncate notes'
durations when generating a score, but that would not give the right
sound for instruments who have p3 dependent calculations, such as
envelope times, etc.  I seem to remember some metnion of using an
instrument that sends out an "e" score event at a given time, but not
sure if that is a simpler solution.

Any help appreciated!
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Anthony Kozar
It might be nice for Csound 5 to add optional section/score end times like
there are in Music4C:

i1 0 1
i1 1 2
s  5    ; section will be five seconds long

i1 0 1

e  3.5    ; section two is three and a half seconds long

The time in an s or e statement should be tempo-warped.  If this value is 0,
it is treated the same as if it was omitted.  Music4C generates an error if
the end time is shorter than the events in the section but I see no reason
to follow that convention.

Anthony Kozar
[hidden email]
http://akozar.spymac.net/

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

jpff
Experimentally I have added a null event to the score -- looks like an
i event but called N.  It seems to work.  The next stage is to expand
        s 123
        N0 123 0

and similar for e.  There may be better ways.....

==John ffitch
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Istvan Varga
[hidden email] wrote:

> Experimentally I have added a null event to the score -- looks like an
> i event but called N.  It seems to work.  The next stage is to expand
>         s 123
>         N0 123 0
>
> and similar for e.  There may be better ways.....

But there is already a "null" event:

f0 123
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Anthony Kozar
Expanding to

f0 123

would seem to be alright too.  (I've never really liked the "logic" of the
dummy f-statement but it would at least be hidden this way ;)

But while addressing an issue I wanted to (thanks!), I guess that really
doesn't address Steven's original issue.  I guess that Steven wants a score
statement like "X 0 time" that would be in the sorted score and means "turn
off all active notes at the given time regardless of their p3s".  ???

Anthony

On 5/16/05 5:22 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Matt Ingalls-4

you can send an 'e' lineevent with a p2 time and as i remember
it will terminate the render even if notes are still playing.

On Sun, 15 May 2005, Steven Yi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I've been working on something in blue and thought I would achieve a
> score end time feature just through blue, but I realized the effect
> wouldn't be quite what I want.  In blue, one can now set both a render
> start time and render end time, as well as looping for that section
> while rendering.  What I am curious about is if there is a score
> statement I could use that would end csound's rendering at a given
> time.  I originally thought that I would be able to truncate notes'
> durations when generating a score, but that would not give the right
> sound for instruments who have p3 dependent calculations, such as
> envelope times, etc.  I seem to remember some metnion of using an
> instrument that sends out an "e" score event at a given time, but not
> sure if that is a simpler solution.
>
> Any help appreciated!
> steven
> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

™

Re: Score End Time

istvan_v@mailbox.hu
Matt J. Ingalls wrote:

> you can send an 'e' lineevent with a p2 time and as i remember
> it will terminate the render even if notes are still playing.

This does not work in Csound5 (p-fields of real time e/l/s events
are ignored), but may be changed if needed.
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Steven Yi
Hi Istvan,

It seems that using "e" with the event opcode  works to shutdown the
render with CS5, and p2 time is not important to me as I simply need
an immediate shutdown.  So no request for change from me.

Thanks for your reply!

> Matt J. Ingalls wrote:
>
> > you can send an 'e' lineevent with a p2 time and as i remember
> > it will terminate the render even if notes are still playing.
>
> This does not work in Csound5 (p-fields of real time e/l/s events
> are ignored), but may be changed if needed.
> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>               (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

Iain Duncan
Even if there are ( better ways ) I think that would be a nice thing to
keep. = )

Iain

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Score End Time

jpff
The N opcode was removed (not by me)
==John ffitch

Iain Duncan wrote:

> Even if there are ( better ways ) I think that would be a nice thing to
> keep. = )

You can already just type
   f0 123
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

csound ezine

Oeyvind Brandtsegg
hi,

I recall there was talk about an ezine here some time ago,
sorry to not have followed the talk in detail,
it got lost in the sheer amount of communication going on, combined with little time to deal with it.

Now, to the case.
I have written an article outlining some strategies for building a system for realtime algorithmic composition and improvisation in Csound. Building on the concept of a sound server architecture, as known from SuperCollider. I also have code to share, but that part is not fully prepared yet.
Is the deadline for submission to this csound ezine past ?

Oeyvind Brandtsegg

Re: csound ezine

Michael Gogins
I don't think there's any sort of deadline for this.