Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Steven Yi
Hi All,

I was travelling for a while but am now back and working to finish up
Blue 2.7.0.  I made a big step today to introduce visual resizing of
widgets using resize handles, and it is available in:

http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip

I have to introduce some size limiting for widgets when editing from
the property editor, as well as visual resizing for BSBGroups.
(Hopefully those will be done tomorrow; I will email once those are
complete and new test build is available.)

Any feedback appreciated!

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Steven Yi
Hi All,

Just FYI, I updated the dev build with one that completes issue #360
and allows visual resizing of BSBGroups.  Moving on to other
ObjectBuilder enhancements now (issue #348).

On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was travelling for a while but am now back and working to finish up
> Blue 2.7.0.  I made a big step today to introduce visual resizing of
> widgets using resize handles, and it is available in:
>
> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip
>
> I have to introduce some size limiting for widgets when editing from
> the property editor, as well as visual resizing for BSBGroups.
> (Hopefully those will be done tomorrow; I will email once those are
> complete and new test build is available.)
>
> Any feedback appreciated!
>
> steven

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Menno Knevel
Hi Steven,
i did a quick test. Resizing an  Object in my Instrument Library (the biggest knob i've ever made!), closing the program and reopening it showed the resized Object. So this works - thanks!

I'm involved in a pretty time-consuming project, so lately i did not have time to work on my personal music projects. All i can do is some limited beta-testing, i won't be able to actually extensively use Blue in the weeks to come. Once the project is finished end August, i will pick up where i left off :) and do some real testing when i actually use the beta Blue.

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

As always, thanks for the feedback!  I hope to have 2.7.0 out in the
next week or two, but Blue will be ready for you when you have time
for it again. :)

All best!
steven

On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
> i did a quick test. Resizing an  Object in my Instrument Library (the
> biggest knob i've ever made!), closing the program and reopening it showed
> the resized Object. So this works - thanks!
>
> I'm involved in a pretty time-consuming project, so lately i did not have
> time to work on my personal music projects. All i can do is some limited
> beta-testing, i won't be able to actually extensively use Blue in the weeks
> to come. Once the project is finished end August, i will pick up where i
> left off :) and do some real testing when i actually use the beta Blue.

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Menno Knevel
What a luxury! :)

If you at one point, are thinking about producing another beta (i've lost count..), i'll be sure to make some time for it.

thanks, greetings
Menno

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Adam

Maybe too late for 2.7.0,  I'll hope to file a bug report, although its
really the user's carelessness.

Blue 2.6.0  crashes when I reference an undefined index for the
ipreindex of sfpreset.

for example,

;ir     sfpreset iprog, ibank, ifilhandle, ipreindex
gisf1a sfpreset 11,    0,      gisf1,     0
gisf1b sfpreset 12,    0,      gisf1,     1
gisf2a sfpreset  8,    0,      gisf2,     2
gisf2b sfpreset 15,    0,      gisf2,     3
gisf2b sfpreset 14,    0,      gisf2,     4

then,

; ar1, ar2 sfplay3 ivel, innum, xamp, xfreq, ipreindex [, iflag]

a1,a2      sfplay3 ivel, inum,  kamp, kfreq, 5    <---

A freeze and crash is never fun. Perhaps a non-fatal error trap can be
included sometime.

Just FYI. Wonderful.   Thank you Steven.

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Adam

Good point.

I wrote a CSD from Blue, tried it at the command line as you suggested.
Csound 6.09 seemed to behave and gave this error message,

B  4.586 ..  4.706 T  4.706 TT  4.706 M:   3584.2   3584.2
INIT ERROR in instr 250: sfplay: invalid or out-of-range preset number
a1 a2 sfplay3 ivel inum #k2 k
freq p6 0 0 0
          B  4.706 - note deleted.  i250 had 1 init errors
B  4.706 ..  4.842 T  4.842 TT  4.842 M:    949.2    949.2

Sorry about the line wrap.

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 02:49 +0000, Steven Yi wrote:

> A crash usually indicates a problem in Csound that causes a segfault.
> What OS and version of Csound are you using? And do you have a test
> project I could use to diagnose? (Btw if you could test generating a
> CSD and running it on command line with Csound to see if it
> segfaults, that would help to diagnose)
> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Maybe too late for 2.7.0,  I'll hope to file a bug report, although
> > its
> > really the user's carelessness.
> >
> > Blue 2.6.0  crashes when I reference an undefined index for the
> > ipreindex of sfpreset.
> >

> > for example,
> >
> > ;ir     sfpreset iprog, ibank, ifilhandle, ipreindex
> > gisf1a  sfpreset 11,    0,      gisf1,     0
> > gisf1b  sfpreset 12,    0,      gisf1,     1
> > gisf2a  sfpreset  8,    0,      gisf2,     2
> > gisf2b  sfpreset 15,    0,      gisf2,     3
> > gisf2b  sfpreset 14,    0,      gisf2,     4
> >

> > then,
> >
> > ; ar1, ar2 sfplay3 ivel, innum, xamp, xfreq, ipreindex [, iflag]
> >
> > a1,a2      sfplay3 ivel, inum,  kamp, kfreq, 5    <---
> >

> > A freeze and crash is never fun. Perhaps a non-fatal error trap can
> > be
> > included sometime.
> >

> > Just FYI. Wonderful.   Thank you Steven.

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Steven Yi
Hi Adam,

Could you let me know then what the status of the problem is?  I can't
tell from your email if this means there are still problems in Blue.
If so, I will need the other information (operating system, test files
if possible).

On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good point.
>
> I wrote a CSD from Blue, tried it at the command line as you suggested.
> Csound 6.09 seemed to behave and gave this error message,
>

> B  4.586 ..  4.706 T  4.706 TT  4.706 M:   3584.2   3584.2
> INIT ERROR in instr 250: sfplay: invalid or out-of-range preset number
> a1      a2      sfplay3 ivel    inum    #k2     k
> freq    p6      0       0       0
>           B  4.706 - note deleted.  i250 had 1 init errors
> B  4.706 ..  4.842 T  4.842 TT  4.842 M:    949.2    949.2
>

> Sorry about the line wrap.
>

> On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 02:49 +0000, Steven Yi wrote:
>> A crash usually indicates a problem in Csound that causes a segfault.
>> What OS and version of Csound are you using? And do you have a test
>> project I could use to diagnose? (Btw if you could test generating a
>> CSD and running it on command line with Csound to see if it
>> segfaults, that would help to diagnose)
>> On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 10:01 PM adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > Maybe too late for 2.7.0,  I'll hope to file a bug report, although
>> > its
>> > really the user's carelessness.
>> >
>> > Blue 2.6.0  crashes when I reference an undefined index for the
>> > ipreindex of sfpreset.
>> >

>> > for example,
>> >
>> > ;ir     sfpreset iprog, ibank, ifilhandle, ipreindex
>> > gisf1a  sfpreset 11,    0,      gisf1,     0
>> > gisf1b  sfpreset 12,    0,      gisf1,     1
>> > gisf2a  sfpreset  8,    0,      gisf2,     2
>> > gisf2b  sfpreset 15,    0,      gisf2,     3
>> > gisf2b  sfpreset 14,    0,      gisf2,     4
>> >

>> > then,
>> >
>> > ; ar1, ar2 sfplay3 ivel, innum, xamp, xfreq, ipreindex [, iflag]
>> >
>> > a1,a2      sfplay3 ivel, inum,  kamp, kfreq, 5    <---
>> >

>> > A freeze and crash is never fun. Perhaps a non-fatal error trap can
>> > be
>> > included sometime.
>> >

>> > Just FYI. Wonderful.   Thank you Steven.

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I tried resizing with BSB-Objects like slides and knobs and it worked
fine. Saving the file and restarting blue showed also the re-sized
objects after.

Creating a group-object using the rt-click menu dropdown list works,
however this one then is not resizable. As far as I can see, I can not
unse this object at all, because I can not modify it. I wonder if I got
it right what that way to create a group object was made for...

What works fine concerning groups is this: I do select several objects
and do choose "make group" from the rt-click menu. The result is then a
group of widgets, which I can also resize graphically then. So this
works fine!

Trying out the group-feature grew the wish in me to be able to "ungroup"
also a group of objects to get them into single objects again....I found
no way to do it. Don't you think, that would be useful? And/ or an
undo-command in some way...It happens so often, that I think "oh...that
was not, what I wanted" ...

I tested on Levovo T 430 (64bit) with Ubuntu 14.04.

Thanks for that development, Steven.

Best wishes,

Jan Jacob

sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

Am 30.06.2017 um 02:41 schrieb Steven Yi:

> Hi All,
>
> Just FYI, I updated the dev build with one that completes issue #360
> and allows visual resizing of BSBGroups.  Moving on to other
> ObjectBuilder enhancements now (issue #348).
>
> Thanks!
> steven
>

> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I was travelling for a while but am now back and working to finish up
>> Blue 2.7.0.  I made a big step today to introduce visual resizing of
>> widgets using resize handles, and it is available in:
>>
>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip
>>
>> I have to introduce some size limiting for widgets when editing from
>> the property editor, as well as visual resizing for BSBGroups.
>> (Hopefully those will be done tomorrow; I will email once those are
>> complete and new test build is available.)
>>
>> Any feedback appreciated!
>>
>> steven

Re: Resizing widgets (BSB, ObjectBuilder, Sound)

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

I noticed the lack of resize on an empty Group yesterday as well.  You
can still double-click it to modify its contents and once an item is
put inside the group, it should allow resizing when going back to the
root pane.  I will look at fixing the resizing when the group is
empty.

Ungrouping is also a good feature to have and one I should put in for
the 2.7.0 release.  I have filed
https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/issues/361 to make sure I get this
done for the 2.7.0 release.

Undo takes some work to implement and is scheduled for 2.7.1 (tracked
in issue https://github.com/kunstmusik/blue/issues/359).

Thanks very much for the feedback!

steven

On Fri, Jul 7, 2017 at 3:27 PM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>

> I tried resizing with BSB-Objects like slides and knobs and it worked fine.
> Saving the file and restarting blue showed also the re-sized objects after.
>
> Creating a group-object using the rt-click menu dropdown list works, however
> this one then is not resizable. As far as I can see, I can not unse this
> object at all, because I can not modify it. I wonder if I got it right what
> that way to create a group object was made for...
>
> What works fine concerning groups is this: I do select several objects and
> do choose "make group" from the rt-click menu. The result is then a group of
> widgets, which I can also resize graphically then. So this works fine!
>
> Trying out the group-feature grew the wish in me to be able to "ungroup"
> also a group of objects to get them into single objects again....I found no
> way to do it. Don't you think, that would be useful? And/ or an undo-command
> in some way...It happens so often, that I think "oh...that was not, what I
> wanted" ...
>
> I tested on Levovo T 430 (64bit) with Ubuntu 14.04.
>

> Thanks for that development, Steven.
>

> Best wishes,
>

> Jan Jacob
>

> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music
>

> Am 30.06.2017 um 02:41 schrieb Steven Yi:
>>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just FYI, I updated the dev build with one that completes issue #360
>> and allows visual resizing of BSBGroups.  Moving on to other
>> ObjectBuilder enhancements now (issue #348).
>>
>> Thanks!
>> steven
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 4:50 PM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I was travelling for a while but am now back and working to finish up
>>> Blue 2.7.0.  I made a big step today to introduce visual resizing of
>>> widgets using resize handles, and it is available in:
>>>
>>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.7.0_dev.zip
>>>
>>> I have to introduce some size limiting for widgets when editing from
>>> the property editor, as well as visual resizing for BSBGroups.
>>> (Hopefully those will be done tomorrow; I will email once those are
>>> complete and new test build is available.)
>>>
>>> Any feedback appreciated!
>>>
>>> steven

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Adam

Steven,    I sent a .blue and .csd file of the problem, with details of
the java, csound and system.

Did you receive it?  I can send to this list if you wish.

On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 22:14 -0400, Steven Yi wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Could you let me know then what the status of the problem is?  I
> can't
> tell from your email if this means there are still problems in Blue.
> If so, I will need the other information (operating system, test
> files
> if possible).
>
> Thanks,
> steven
>
> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Good point.
> >
> > I wrote a CSD from Blue, tried it at the command line as you
> > suggested.
> > Csound 6.09 seemed to behave and gave this error message,
> >

> > B  4.586 ..  4.706 T  4.706 TT  4.706 M:   3584.2   3584.2
> > INIT ERROR in instr 250: sfplay: invalid or out-of-range preset
> > number
> > a1      a2      sfplay3 ivel    inum    #k2     k
> > freq    p6      0       0       0
> >           B  4.706 - note deleted.  i250 had 1 init errors
> > B  4.706 ..  4.842 T  4.842 TT  4.842 M:    949.2    949.2
> >

> > Sorry about the line wrap.
> >

> > On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 02:49 +0000, Steven Yi wrote:
> > >
> > > A crash usually indicates a problem in Csound that causes a
> > > segfault.
> > > What OS and version of Csound are you using? And do you have a
> > > test
> > > project I could use to diagnose? (Btw if you could test
> > > generating a
> > > CSD and running it on command line with Csound to see if it
> > > segfaults, that would help to diagnose)

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Steven Yi
Hi Adam,

Sorry I did receive it but I got swept up by other work.  I will take
a look into it today to see what I can find out.

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 2:57 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steven,    I sent a .blue and .csd file of the problem, with details of
> the java, csound and system.
>
> Did you receive it?  I can send to this list if you wish.
>

> On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 22:14 -0400, Steven Yi wrote:
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> Could you let me know then what the status of the problem is?  I
>> can't
>> tell from your email if this means there are still problems in Blue.
>> If so, I will need the other information (operating system, test
>> files
>> if possible).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 6, 2017 at 5:52 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >

>> > Good point.
>> >
>> > I wrote a CSD from Blue, tried it at the command line as you
>> > suggested.
>> > Csound 6.09 seemed to behave and gave this error message,
>> >

>> > B  4.586 ..  4.706 T  4.706 TT  4.706 M:   3584.2   3584.2
>> > INIT ERROR in instr 250: sfplay: invalid or out-of-range preset
>> > number
>> > a1      a2      sfplay3 ivel    inum    #k2     k
>> > freq    p6      0       0       0
>> >           B  4.706 - note deleted.  i250 had 1 init errors
>> > B  4.706 ..  4.842 T  4.842 TT  4.842 M:    949.2    949.2
>> >

>> > Sorry about the line wrap.

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Adam

No rush, with new Blue and Csound out soon.

Its more a curiosity really.

Thank you.

On Wed, 2017-07-12 at 09:09 -0400, Steven Yi wrote:

> Hi Adam,
>
> Sorry I did receive it but I got swept up by other work.  I will take
> a look into it today to see what I can find out.
>
> Thanks,
> steven
>
> On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 2:57 AM, adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Steven,    I sent a .blue and .csd file of the problem, with
> > details of
> > the java, csound and system.
> >
> > Did you receive it?  I can send to this list if you wish.
> >

> > On Thu, 2017-07-06 at 22:14 -0400, Steven Yi wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Adam,
> > >
> > > Could you let me know then what the status of the problem is?  I
> > > can't
> > > tell from your email if this means there are still problems in
> > > Blue.
> > > If so, I will need the other information (operating system, test
> > > files
> > > if possible).
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > steven

Re: sfpreset and 2.7.0

Steven Yi
Hi Adam,

I tested with Blue 2.7.0_dev and am using a self-compiled version of
Csound that lines up with 6.09.1 (this is on Windows 10).  I get an
INIT ERROR but I do not get a crash.  I googled and downloaded the
4gmgsmt.sf2 file and so I think we're comparing the same things.
There's some variables here in that you're on Linux but also that
you're using a 32-bit machine. I don't have a 32-bit machine here to
test on, unfortunately, and it would be quite some work for me to set
it up.

I would say you might try building/installing Csound 6.09.1 first.  If
that does not solve it, you might try Blue 2.7.0 dev build (being sure
to backup you ~/.blue folder first!).  If that still does not do it, I
can look into setting up a 32-bit Ubuntu virtual machine and do some
testing there.