Remedial MIDI

Chuckk Hubbard
Hi again.
I apologize for not paying attention earlier, but now I can't find
anything on the list regarding this.
I have this hot-rod version of Csound5, with ASIO, up and running
fine, but I can't figure out how to do real-time MIDI now.  I'm
typing:
csound miditest.csd -odac10 -M9
9 was the number of my control surface before ( with 1 keyboard and 8
channels of MidiYoke), but I get
Csound Command ERROR:    no midi device_name

I tried putting the name of the board as it usually appears, but it
has spaces in it, I get the same thing.  Is there a way to get a list
of available devices?  I tried just putting -M with no argument, and
got the same error.

-Chuckk

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsInstruments>

sr=48000
kr=2400
ksmps=20
nchnls=1

        instr 1
kpitch ctrl7 1, 20, 0, 4000
asig oscil 20000, kpitch, 1
        out asig
        endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
f1 0 4096 7 0 1024 1 1024 0 1024 -1 1024 0
f2 20 4 10 1
i1 0 20

</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Remedial MIDI

Istvan Varga
Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I tried putting the name of the board as it usually appears, but it
> has spaces in it, I get the same thing.

You need to specify a device number, and not a name.

> Is there a way to get a list of available devices?

Try something like -M 100; it will result in an error and printing
the list of valid device number.
However, you should not have got the "no device name" error with -M9.
What build of Csound are you running ? Is it correctly installed ?
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Remedial MIDI

Chuckk Hubbard
I had "-M" in CsOptions.  I took it out and now it works.  I need to
take another look at what overrides what in terms of options...
Thanks.

On 7/7/05, Istvan Varga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Chuckk Hubbard wrote:
>
> > I tried putting the name of the board as it usually appears, but it
> > has spaces in it, I get the same thing.
>
> You need to specify a device number, and not a name.
>
> > Is there a way to get a list of available devices?
>
> Try something like -M 100; it will result in an error and printing
> the list of valid device number.
> However, you should not have got the "no device name" error with -M9.
> What build of Csound are you running ? Is it correctly installed ?
> --
> Send bugs reports to this list.

"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover
of knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."
-Friedrich Nietzsche, "Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Chuckk Hubbard wrote:

> I had "-M" in CsOptions.  I took it out and now it works.  I need to
> take another look at what overrides what in terms of options...
> Thanks.

The command line overrides CSD options (which override .csoundrc).
However, even then if there is an error in the CSD options, it
will fail the compile even if you try to override it from the
command line.
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: Remedial MIDI

Chuckk Hubbard