Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Chuckk Hubbard
Hey Michael.
As I'm learning more about how this stuff works, compiling and all,
I'm going back over this to see if it's possible CsoundVST might run
on Mac, for some friends.  It sounds like you're saying the mingw file
could compile on any system.  Perhaps no one has tested it yet, but is
that a possibility?  Does anyone know a free compiler for Mac that
might assemble it?

Thanks!
-Chuckk

On 4/14/05, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have prepared a new file release with precompiled binaries for Windows and
> sources for all platforms for Csound 5 and Csound VST:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/csound5-mingw-2005-04-14.zip?download
>
> There is a new Windows installer, which sets environment variables and the
> PATH variable:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/csound-5beta.exe?download
>
> And updated API documentation:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/CsoundAPI.pdf?download
>
> Recent changes include an improved Windows installer, the addition of Perry
> Cook's Synthesis Toolkit in C++ (original code) as a plugin opcode library,
> an option for CsoundVST to automatically open the output soundfile for
> editing or playback after performance, and an ALSA plugin sound driver for
> Linux.
>
> Internal changes and bug fixes include using the Csound API for printing
> Csound log messages, improvements to the waveterrain opcodes, GCC compiler
> optimizations, and continued work on removing static and global variables,
> and better stability for MIDI performance in VST hosts. CsoundVST now prints
> log messages to stderr by default (not stdout as before).
>
> See the ChangeLog for details.
>

> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

"Some people got attitude,
Backed up with attitude."
-G. Love
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Michael Gogins
I suspect it might be possible to get a version of gcc that runs on OS X, but I know very little about the Mac and its tools. It may also be that OS X comes with a compiler.

As I'm learning more about how this stuff works, compiling and all,
I'm going back over this to see if it's possible CsoundVST might run
on Mac, for some friends.  It sounds like you're saying the mingw file
could compile on any system.  Perhaps no one has tested it yet, but is
that a possibility?  Does anyone know a free compiler for Mac that
might assemble it?

Thanks!
-Chuckk

On 4/14/05, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have prepared a new file release with precompiled binaries for Windows and
> sources for all platforms for Csound 5 and Csound VST:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/csound5-mingw-2005-04-14.zip?download
>
> There is a new Windows installer, which sets environment variables and the
> PATH variable:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/csound-5beta.exe?download
>
> And updated API documentation:
>
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/csound/CsoundAPI.pdf?download
>
> Recent changes include an improved Windows installer, the addition of Perry
> Cook's Synthesis Toolkit in C++ (original code) as a plugin opcode library,
> an option for CsoundVST to automatically open the output soundfile for
> editing or playback after performance, and an ALSA plugin sound driver for
> Linux.
>
> Internal changes and bug fixes include using the Csound API for printing
> Csound log messages, improvements to the waveterrain opcodes, GCC compiler
> optimizations, and continued work on removing static and global variables,
> and better stability for MIDI performance in VST hosts. CsoundVST now prints
> log messages to stderr by default (not stdout as before).
>
> See the ChangeLog for details.
>

> --
> Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
>              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

"Some people got attitude,
Backed up with attitude."
-G. Love
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Matt Ingalls-4

it comes with it.

On Sat, 14 May 2005, Michael Gogins wrote:

> I suspect it might be possible to get a version of gcc that runs on OS X, but I know very little about the Mac and its tools. It may also be that OS X comes with a compiler.
>
> Regards,
> Mike

Anthony Kozar
OS X comes with an extra Developer Tools CD.  After installing the packages
on this CD, the system will have a set of GNU tools including GCC (Apple's
modified version) and the autotools.  Python support on OS X has changed and
become more complete with each major release of OS X, and FLTK works, so it
should be feasible to attempt to compile CsoundVST if everything is
installed.

This is one of those things I have been interested in trying but is pretty
far down on the list for right now ...

Anthony Kozar
[hidden email]
http://akozar.spymac.net/

On 5/14/05 9:02 PM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> etched in stone:

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

spamtemp
At 10:50 PM 5/14/2005 , Anthony Kozar wrote:

>OS X comes with an extra Developer Tools CD.  After installing the packages
>on this CD, the system will have a set of GNU tools including GCC (Apple's
>modified version) and the autotools.  Python support on OS X has changed and
>become more complete with each major release of OS X, and FLTK works, so it
>should be feasible to attempt to compile CsoundVST if everything is
>installed.
>
>This is one of those things I have been interested in trying but is pretty
>far down on the list for right now ...

What other compilers might come with OSX, or be available for free? I'm
looking into programming languages that offer some cross-platform
capability--at least Mac and WindowsXP, but Linux would also be a nice
bonus. I'm especially interested in programming environments which offer
high-level graphics capabilities, but are also compiled languages.

Thanks,
Glen
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Anthony Kozar
There are many languages available for free on OS X (mostly as Unix ports).
And there are several interpreted languages with good cross-platform
behavior and a high-level graphics library (Tcl/Tk, Python, Squeak, Ruby (I
think), etc).

However, your specification of a compiled language considerably narrows the
options.  Java is the best bet I would guess (assuming you consider that
compiled).  Other than that, languages that compile to native machine code
generally do not have a default cross-platform graphics library.  You need
to find an add-on library for graphics with languages like C & C++.  You
could do C++ and OpenGL (or FLTK if by graphics you mean GUI widgets).

You did not say what this is for, but I would seriously ask yourself whether
the language really has to be compiled.  Many, many tasks (especially
music-oriented ones) can be done plenty fast enough in interpreted
languages.

Anthony Kozar

On 5/14/05 11:10 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:
> What other compilers might come with OSX, or be available for free? I'm
> looking into programming languages that offer some cross-platform
> capability--at least Mac and WindowsXP, but Linux would also be a nice
> bonus. I'm especially interested in programming environments which offer
> high-level graphics capabilities, but are also compiled languages.

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

Richard Dobson
Don't forget that the X11  is also supported in OS X so that in principle any
X11 program can be built for OS X. Not something I have done myself (yet), but I
get the impression  this can include just about anything one would expect to be
able to build in Linux. The "fink" site has a huge range of OS X packages,
including Gnome and kde were one to be interested in those:

http://fink.sourceforge.net/

Richard Dobson

Anthony Kozar wrote:

> There are many languages available for free on OS X (mostly as Unix ports).
> And there are several interpreted languages with good cross-platform
> behavior and a high-level graphics library (Tcl/Tk, Python, Squeak, Ruby (I
> think), etc).
>
> However, your specification of a compiled language considerably narrows the
> options.  Java is the best bet I would guess (assuming you consider that
> compiled).  Other than that, languages that compile to native machine code
> generally do not have a default cross-platform graphics library.  You need
> to find an add-on library for graphics with languages like C & C++.  You
> could do C++ and OpenGL (or FLTK if by graphics you mean GUI widgets).
>
> You did not say what this is for, but I would seriously ask yourself whether
> the language really has to be compiled.  Many, many tasks (especially
> music-oriented ones) can be done plenty fast enough in interpreted
> languages.

..

--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: New file release for Csound 5 and CsoundVST

If you need heavy-duty 3d, I think you should look into Open Scene Graph and gcc as a cross-platform platform.