Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

JTG III

But what about --

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Don't use them.
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
Also negative.
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Just beginning to use them.
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
Negative.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Yes, but never for anything important. By the way, stkvoicform seems to be broken.
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
Yes, and typically from the Csound installer.
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Haven't gotten there yet, but I might not ever get there, so.. .
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
These just recently stopped making Csound crash on me, and I have used them while checking out older examples, but I don't use them myself.
Please comment on the above or any other issues for the Windows installer.

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

JTG III
P. S. - Thank you for all of the hassle you put up with in making the Windows installer available!

On Jun 11, 2017 8:44 PM, "Michael Gogins" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just now I have built the core of Csound plus most utilities and many
plugin opcodes with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015. Thanks to
Stephen Kyne, Steven Yi, and others for moving this forward.

For the next release of Csound, I would like to build the Windows
installer using Visual Studio. This would among other things make it
easier to set up the build, easier to debug Csound, and easier to
integrate Csound with NW.js, node.js, CsoundQt, and other such
systems. In the near future it should be possible for a new release
tag to simply show up in the releases as a finished, tested installer.

However, over the years I have made it a point to cram as many
features, front ends, and whatnot into the Windows installer as
possible. Now may be a good time to consider what really needs to be
in there. (Please note, not being in the Windows installer does NOT
mean not being in the Csound Git repository!)

I will continue to provide CsoundVST and the vst4cs opcodes on my own
Web site. I also plan to keep the csound.node addon for NW.js and the
Ableton Live opcodes.

[...]

rorywalsh
(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Not personally, but some Cabbage users have build samplers with them.

(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Never used any of the above.

(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
I've never been a fan of including frontends with Csound, but if we have to, then CsoundQT should definitely be included.

(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
Don't use the above either.

On 12 June 2017 at 02:29, JTG III <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

zappfinger
(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Yes, I use them
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
Not currently
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
No
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
Hardly
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
Occasionally

Richard

[...]

moguillansky
> (1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
Yes

> (2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
No

> (3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No

> (4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
> or not?
No

> (5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No. Whenever I have needed something similar to the STK models I used the
faust port compiled to csound.

> (6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
> repo?

Yes, very much so. For me I tend to compile the latest version, but I do
rely heavily on the fact that other users have it installed by default

> (7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No

> (8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
There is a welth of demos/orchestras which use them, so they are nice to
have.

Eduardo Moguillansky

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Is this addresses just to Windows users or more general?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Michael Gogins wrote:

> Just now I have built the core of Csound plus most utilities and many
> plugin opcodes with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015. Thanks to
> Stephen Kyne, Steven Yi, and others for moving this forward.
>
> For the next release of Csound, I would like to build the Windows
> installer using Visual Studio. This would among other things make it
> easier to set up the build, easier to debug Csound, and easier to
> integrate Csound with NW.js, node.js, CsoundQt, and other such
> systems. In the near future it should be possible for a new release
> tag to simply show up in the releases as a finished, tested installer.
>
> However, over the years I have made it a point to cram as many
> features, front ends, and whatnot into the Windows installer as
> possible. Now may be a good time to consider what really needs to be
> in there. (Please note, not being in the Windows installer does NOT
> mean not being in the Csound Git repository!)
>
> I will continue to provide CsoundVST and the vst4cs opcodes on my own
> Web site. I also plan to keep the csound.node addon for NW.js and the
> Ableton Live opcodes.
>
> But what about --
>
> (1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
> repository.
> (5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
> repo?
> (7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
> (8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
>
> Please comment on the above or any other issues for the Windows installer.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Nathan Holmes
(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
None of the above, but I could see myself needing FluidSynth for future projects.

(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
All the time. I get it through the Csound installer.

(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
No.

(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?
Yes (insofar as I like to use stuff that others have made with FLTK widgets).

On Mon, Jun 12, 2017 at 6:11 AM, Michael Gogins <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mostly Windows but the question of CsoundAC is for both.

On Jun 12, 2017 8:35 AM, "jpff" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Is this addresses just to Windows users or more general?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2017, Michael Gogins wrote:

Just now I have built the core of Csound plus most utilities and many
plugin opcodes with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2015. Thanks to
Stephen Kyne, Steven Yi, and others for moving this forward.

For the next release of Csound, I would like to build the Windows
installer using Visual Studio. This would among other things make it
easier to set up the build, easier to debug Csound, and easier to
integrate Csound with NW.js, node.js, CsoundQt, and other such
systems. In the near future it should be possible for a new release
tag to simply show up in the releases as a finished, tested installer.

However, over the years I have made it a point to cram as many
features, front ends, and whatnot into the Windows installer as
possible. Now may be a good time to consider what really needs to be
in there. (Please note, not being in the Windows installer does NOT
mean not being in the Csound Git repository!)

I will continue to provide CsoundVST and the vst4cs opcodes on my own
Web site. I also plan to keep the csound.node addon for NW.js and the
Ableton Live opcodes.

But what about --

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?

Please comment on the above or any other issues for the Windows installer.

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

> (1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?

I am not currently using these.

> (2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?

Yes. Blue depends upon the Java interface. I have also done some
experiments with using the Java interface through other JVM languages
(particularly Clojure).

> (3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?

No.

> (4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
> repository.

I do not use these and I'd prefer to see these moved to a separate
repository. It slows down builds here, and if something doesn't
compile within CsoundAC, I usually do not have the time/knowledge to
investigate and end up turning off building CsoundAC altogether.

> (5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?

No.

> (6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
> or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
> repo?

I do not use CsoundQT usually, but I like to have access to it to
investigate things people have done using it. I think it would be good
to have in the installer.

> (7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?

No.

> (8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?

Not personally, but I do like access to it to test other's project
which use it. (Not sure if it's relevlant, but I do use the FLTK
Virtual Keyboard on occasion.)

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Marc Demers-2
Hi Michael,

For my part:

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? YES
(2) The Java interfaces? YES
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? NO
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? YES
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? YES
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? YES
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? YES
(8) The FLTK widgets? YES

The link to your built of Csound 6.09.1 is broken.

 Thanks,
Marc

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

joachim-3
i never used windows myself, but i would like to second eduardo's
assessment about csoundqt intergration.  for students and in particular
new csound users it is good to see csoundqt immediately after the
installation in the Programs menu.

as we discussed on the csoundqt mailing list, i would like to see a
version of csoundqt here as default which comes with rtmidi but without
python as default, so that people can really run it out of the box,
without having python on board.

        joachim

On 12/06/17 12:29, Eduardo Moguillansky wrote:
>> (6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
>> or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
>> repo?
>
> Yes, very much so. For me I tend to compile the latest version, but I do
> rely heavily on the fact that other users have it installed by default

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3

(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(2) The Java interfaces? Do you ever use them, or not?
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? Do you ever use it,
or not? If nobody but me ever uses it, I may move it to my own
repository.
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? Do you ever use it,
or not? If so, do you get it from the CsoundQt repo or from the Csound
repo?
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? Do you ever use them, or not?
(8) The FLTK widgets? Do you ever use them, or not?

Of these features, I've used 5) and 8), and would really like to learn how to use 7)
Thanks for the effort with the installer, Mike

all best
Oeyvind

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

AndreaS

Hi,
I use 2), 6), 8). But I'm interested to all.
I think that the features have an easy installation to integrate with Csound it could be indipendent, but the features that have an elaborated installation could be enclosed in the installer.
Greetings
Andrea S.

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Andy.Fillebrown
(1) The FluidSynth opcodes? YES
(2) The Java interfaces? NO
(3) The LuaJIT opcodes? NO
(4) The CsoundAC algorithmic composition system? NO
(5) The STK (C++) opcodes? NO
(6) The CsoundQt "front end" for running Csound? YES
(7) The linear algebra opcodes? NO
(8) The FLTK widgets? NO!

On Tue, Jun 13, 2017 at 5:02 PM, Andrea Strappa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I use 2), 6), 8). But I'm interested to all.
I think that the features have an easy installation to integrate with Csound it could be indipendent, but the features that have an elaborated installation could be enclosed in the installer.
Greetings
Andrea S.

Re: [Csnd] Some questions for Csound users and developers about the future of the Csound Windows installer

Michael Gogins-2
Thanks to everyone who responded to this. After reading all the responses and thinking about I have come to the following conclusions:

(1) I will drop LuaJIT, the Lua opcodes, and the Lua interfaces from the Windows installer. They are not widely used and their function has mostly been replaced by JavaScript and HTML5.

(2) I will keep the remaining features for the time being:

(2.a.) The FluidSynth opcodes.
(2.b.) The Java interfaces.
(2.c.) The CsoundAC system and interfaces. Ultimately I will move these features out of the Csound repository but not now. There are no longer any external dependencies so it should be easy to get this to build.
(2.d.) The STK opcodes.
(2.e.) I will continue to include CsoundQt in the Windows installer and I will merge and maintain the HTML5 support in CsoundQt.
(2.f.) The linear algebra opcodes. I will replace the use of GMM with the use of Eigen3 for which there is already a port for the Visual Studio build system.
(2.g) The FLTK opcodes.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 6:59 PM, andy fillebrown <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

+1