Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi everybody,
I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples -> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
Do you have any suggest about the problem?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Blue_ApplicationLog_08_Transit_WalterCesarini.rtf (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
Hi Walter,

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Yes,
you right! I have installed the JRE and not the JDK. Now I have installed the JDK too.
Have I to uninstall the JRE? How can i do? I followed some tutorial find on the web but nothing is changed and the terminal give me back always:

java version "1.8.0_101"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
I think the output is okay, as even if you have the JDK installed, it will show "Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment".  The one thing to check is which java command is being used, which you can type "which java" on the terminal to find out.

Also, I am unsure how to uninstall the JRE.  I think in the past I simply deleted the folder it was installed into. You could try renaming the JRE folder or moving it to the trash temporarily to see if things still run.

After the above, could you try Blue again and let me know if it is now working?  (and if not, to post the output again?)

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:29 PM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes,
you right! I have installed the JRE and not the JDK. Now I have installed the JDK too.
Have I to uninstall the JRE? How can i do? I followed some tutorial find on the web but nothing is changed and the terminal give me back always:

java version "1.8.0_101"

Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi,
thank you for your sudden reply!
"which java" gives me "/usr/bin/java". I have done this two command:

sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencesPanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

I have manually move to trash the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin. I have tried to run a Blue example again but nothing is changed. I've attached a text file with the output.
Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Blue_ApplicationLog_08_Transit_SDK_WalterCesarini.rtf (26K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
Hi Walter,

The directories look correct now in the log.  I think maybe the next thing to try is deleting these two folders:

User Directory = /Users/WalterCesarini/Library/Application Support/blue/dev
Cache Directory = /Users/WalterCesarini/Library/Application Support/blue/dev/var/cache

Make sure that Blue is not running when you delete these folders.  After deleting, try again the files.  If they nothing appears, I think then if you would take screenshots of the program maybe that might give some hints.

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 5:16 PM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
thank you for your sudden reply!
"which java" gives me "/usr/bin/java". I have done this two command:

sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin
sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencesPanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

I have manually move to trash the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin. I have tried to run a Blue example again but nothing is changed. I've attached a text file with the output.
Thank you again!

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi,
I found the folder 'Application Support' but there is no 'blue' folder. I've attached an image of what i see.

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Application_Support.png (384K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
Hi Walter,

For that screenshot, is that showing "/Library" (the one from the filesystem root) or from your user folder (i.e., "/Users/WalterCesarini/Library")? The latter may require enabling showing hidden folders.

Also, could you provide a screenshot of the Blue application after trying to load a project?

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:42 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,
I found the folder 'Application Support' but there is no 'blue' folder. I've attached an image of what i see.

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi Steve,
thank you again. I have found the directory you asked, but just before deleting: if i delete 'dev' i delete 'cache' too because is a subfolder of 'dev'. Is this ok? I mean inside 'dev' there are a lot of other folders.
I've attached the image of what appears on Blue when I open your '08_Transit': I think it is not so useful, it is like an empty project.

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Schermata 2016-10-16 alle 12.52.01.png (237K) Download Attachment
Schermata 2016-10-16 alle 12.53.14.png (231K) Download Attachment
Schermata 2016-10-16 alle 12.53.23.png (226K) Download Attachment
Schermata 2016-10-16 alle 12.53.29.png (189K) Download Attachment
Schermata 2016-10-16 alle 12.53.40.png (270K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
Hi Walter,

I'm back now from the conference and things seem to be working okay here on OSX 10.11 and the version from github.  It should be fine to delete the dev folder; if you're concerned, you can always just move it out of the way and restore it later.

Another thing to try is to copy blue.app into a different folder (maybe your deskop) and try running it from there.  I wonder if there is some odd thing happening by having it under /Applications.  That shouldn't be an issue, but I suppose it is worth trying.

steven

On Sun, Oct 16, 2016 at 6:58 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Steve,
thank you again. I have found the directory you asked, but just before deleting: if i delete 'dev' i delete 'cache' too because is a subfolder of 'dev'. Is this ok? I mean inside 'dev' there are a lot of other folders.
I've attached the image of what appears on Blue when I open your '08_Transit': I think it is not so useful, it is like an empty project.

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi Steven,
I have deleted twice the dev folder but every time I open Blue the dev folder is created again. Now I have moved the app from the Application folder to the Desktop. Anything is changed.
I have attached the log file.

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Blue_ApplicationLog_08_Transit_NOdev_BlueOnDesktop_WalterCesarini.rtf (29K) Download Attachment

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

riva1919

Hi Steven,
Unbelievable, I have solved the problem!
I tried to open Blue and only after "File->Open Project" and I try to enter in the package of Blue to open the example and Blue cannot give me the possibility. So, I copied outside the package the examples and they work!
So I think it is a sort of loop when I try to open the example from the inside of the Blue package itself.
Thank you for the help!

Best wishes,
Walter Cesarini

Unfortunately I'm about to leave for a conference and do not have my
OSX machine to reference at this moment. The one thing that stands out
is that the Java Home for your system is:

Java Home = /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Home

This seems odd to me, as I think JAVA_HOME is usually set to something
like /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/... .

By chance, did you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) and not
the Java Development Kit?  I was reading something where installing
the JDK might do something different than installing the JRE in terms
of configuration settings.

My impression so far is that somehow the wrong Java libraries are
being run with the right java executable, if that makes sense.

Could you let me know if you installed the JRE or JDK?  Also, could
you type "java -version" in a Terminal and let me know the result?

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 4:30 AM, Walter Cesarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I'm using Blue 2.6.1 on a OS X El Capitan 10.11.6.
> I have already talking about my problem with Steven Yi on the Facebook
> group: I try to open, for example, inside the app contents "examples ->
> pieces -> stevenYi -> 08_transit -> transit.blue" and Blue open the file but
> anything is inside, anything in the timeline, anything in the orchestra. The
> file I've attached is my output (Blue Application Log).
> Do you have any suggest about the problem?
>
> Thank you in advance for your help!
>
> Best wishes,
> Walter Cesarini

Re: Problem with Blue 2.6.1

Steven Yi
Hi Walter,

That's great to hear that a solution was found, as I was getting a bit confused as to what could be happening.

All best!
steven