Quantcast

Piano Roll Question

aonghus
Hi,
I am having difficulty with Piano Roll. What happens is: I start a blank Piano roll and stretch it out to, say 80 bars. Then I write in some notes. The notes sound as they should, but bear no relation to the overall timeline of the piece, with a note that should last about five seconds maybe lasting about 30 seconds for instance. What am I doing wrong? How do I get the notes to fit the overall timeline?

Thanks.

Re: Piano Roll Question

forrest cahoon-2
On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM, aonghus <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am having difficulty with Piano Roll. What happens is: I start a blank
> Piano roll and stretch it out to, say 80 bars. Then I write in some notes.
> The notes sound as they should, but bear no relation to the overall timeline
> of the piece, with a note that should last about five seconds maybe lasting
> about 30 seconds for instance. What am I doing wrong? How do I get the notes
> to fit the overall timeline?
>
> Thanks.

It sounds to me that you might not be clear on blue's concept of
"subjective time" vs "objective time".  I've been looking for online
doc to explain this better than I can, but since the blue doc has been
moved to the wiki it's been kind of incomplete.

Here's my understanding (and hopefully someone more knowledgeable will
correct any mistakes): you don't want to stretch the bar representing
the piano roll object (or any object) to make it have more room
"inside". What that does instead is stretch whatever amount of time
you have inside to fit.

To set the amount of time that's in your SoundObject from the
SoundObject's perspective ("subjective time"), you need to select the
bar you've added and open the "SoundObject Properties" dialog from
under the Window menu. Here you enter the Start Time and Subjective
Duration. That is how you actually make your Piano Roll longer. You
can also change the name of your SoundObject here.

Then to make the time outside ("objective time"), represented by the
length of the bar, match the length of your SoundObject (no stretching
or squeezing of time), right click on the bar representing your
SoundObject and choose "Set Subjective Time to Objective Time".

Of course, when you get used to this system you can use the stretching
and squeezing to your advantage.

Hope that helps.

-- Forrest

Re: Piano Roll Question

Steven Yi
One thing to note, SoundObjects have "Time Behavior", which affects
how the generated score within them is processed in relationship to
the time of the SoundObject on the timeline.  For example. if you had
a score of:

i1 0 2 4 5

in a GenericScore, and the soundObject had a duration of 45, with a
time behavior of scale (the default), the generated score would be:

i1 0 45 4 5

My guess with Aongus's problem is that the behavior may be set to
scale, but the expectation was to have the notes generated as-is.  For
that, you will need to use a time behavior of "None".  This is
available in the SoundObject properties, which you can open from the
Window menu or using the F3 key.