[OT] Sad news, Richard Orton

DavidWorrall
Many of you will know of Richard's work on the Composer's Desktop Project, amongst other things.
A quietly spoken, inspiring colleague, who will be sadly missed by many in the computer music community.

David

Begin forwarded message:

From: Leigh Landy <[hidden email]>
Subject: [cec-c] Sad news
Date: 2013 February 12 8:09:33 AM EST
To: "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>

Dear CEC readers,

It is with a great deal of sadness that I share the news that one of the UK's pioneers in electronic / electroacoustic music, Richard Orton, passed away during the night after a kidney operation.

Richard played a fundamental role in putting the UK on the map through his music, development work, publications and teaching and is a significant loss.

After retiring from the University of York he became an Honorary Research Fellow at our university and provided both inspiration and guidance to us in recent years. He also played a main role regarding the creation of the journal, "Organised Sound" which was first discussed in 1991. He was one of its four founding editors.

He will be missed by many students, friends and colleagues.

Leigh

Dr David Worrall.
- Experimental Polymedia:   worrall.avatar.com.au
- Sonification: www.sonification.com.au
- Education for Financial Independence: www.mindthemarkets.com.au