OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

12

OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
Hello

I decided to bite the bullet today & upgrade to csound 6.09 ...

currently regretting it ... trying to run csoundQT (via the installer that came with the OSX package for the 6.09 upgrade ...) & it's crashing (or, perhaps more specifically, hanging ...) intermittently ... but 4 times out of 5, & i am only running short test scenarios ...

i am REALLY hoping to get this happening. I have had a really good run of time & energy this year & have written a bunch of Python code to finally hopefully throw some finished csound pieces together ...

I am using CsoundQT mainly to edit partial weightings / FSIG bin groupings ... which i shoot to tables for my performance instruments ... so my whole process kind of hangs on the QT editing interfaces ...

I am running OSX 10.10.1

i'll downgrade again if necessary (i was using csound 6.06 i think, & QT 0.9 i think ???)

but please please please can somebody help me either resolve or find the compatible front end for this latest csound upgrade? (my curiousity to look at the new filters got the better of me essentially ...)

I have nothing to report in the way of diagnosis ... basically the 'rainbow wheel' spins when i press play, & that's game over ... i have to kill the application to get out of it ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
Hi Rory ...

yes i thought about Cabbage today!

At this point, it's not a priority ... as my sound designs have emerged my need for MIDI has ... pretty much disappeared ... so (perhaps you are recalling our brief exchange on the Cabbage list back at the beginning of this year when i was dusting off my whole set of sonic aspirations...) my need for it is minimal at this point ... i did consider trying to install it again & using it just for effects, but it's low priority at this stage ... certainly sitting behind getting all the work i have done working again ...

& i've done all the design work in QT ... it took weeks ...

i'd love to look at Cabbage at some point ... but i'm not sure i'm quite at that point yet ... in my experience, the fewer variables in the setup, the better ... which is why i delayed this upgrade as long as i have ...

anyway, i'll curtail my tendency for waffle at this point ... Other than to say nice to hear from you ...

Tim Mortimer
I'll do my best to get there Rory! I promise you ... (along with the myriad of other wishes, like having the sufficient time & knowledge to be an asset to this list & community, rather than a burden on it .. ; ) ...)

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
Hi ...

Just to save anyone from typing a potentially lengthy response ... i MAY have stabilised things by playing with the configuration settings ... if it starts playing up again i'll post again & continue the thread ... (it doesn't seem to be crashing any more, but i have hardly put it through its paces ...)

If there's an obvious glaring issue i don't know about however, please feel free to jump in of course!

Rory, I do see the wisdom in transition to Cabbage, even if i am just using the development & GUI aspect & not the plugin (which was the bit i couldn't get working back in January I recall ... ). A potential wider range of application, better & more extensive GUI elements...

But having spent months crawling back to this point (basically, i have rewritten everything i have, better, more concise, & better designed ... mainly on the Python side ... 3rd / 4th time lucky ...), so not learning new tools & writing more code than absolutely necessary is my preferred option ... maybe 2018 ...

& REAscripting in the end was the thing that has helped me throw together a unified approach. Essentially i am auto-batch rendering audio slices using Csound & importing all the slices into the DAW on cue with default envelopes applied ... that took a lot of the complexity out of the Csound designs (complex polyphony & retriggering ...) & put it somewhere more suited to managing audio files, & gave it a front end to-boot ...

the scores are all algorithmic using Python, just to complete the scenario ...

if i live to be 150, i should get all this sorted ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tarmo Johannes-3

Hi Tim,

Please could you give some more information about your crashes:

- can you run CsoundQt binary from console and copy here the output? (Right click on the CsoundQt.App -> Contents -> MacOS and click on the CsoundQt-d-py-cs6 binary)

- the problem might rise from some changes in configuration - you can try to delete or rename the configuration file (in terminal):

cd $HOME/Library/Preferences/

mv com.csound.qutecsound.plist com.csound.qutecsound.plist-old

Or try older (0.9.3) of newer version of CsoundQt (CsoundQt-0.9.5-beta) from:

https://github.com/CsoundQt/CsoundQt/releases

Anyway, please report how it goes - I have heard about problems but I guess most users are working with CsoundQt happily :) And there are so many reasons not to go back to Csound 6.06 anyway...

tarmo

On teisipäev, 22. august 2017 11:37.29 EEST you wrote:

> Hi ...

> Just to save anyone from typing a potentially lengthy response ... i MAY

> have stabilised things by playing with the configuration settings ... if it

> starts playing up again i'll post again & continue the thread ... (it

> doesn't seem to be crashing any more, but i have hardly put it through its

> paces ...)

> If there's an obvious glaring issue i don't know about however, please feel

> free to jump in of course!

> Rory, I do see the wisdom in transition to Cabbage, even if i am just usingcd $HOME/Library/Preferences/

> the development & GUI aspect & not the plugin (which was the bit i couldn't

> get working back in January I recall ... ). A potential wider range of

> application, better & more extensive GUI elements...

> But having spent months crawling back to this point (basically, i have

> rewritten everything i have, better, more concise, & better designed ...

> mainly on the Python side ... 3rd / 4th time lucky ...), so not learning new

> tools & writing more code than absolutely necessary is my preferred option

> ... maybe 2018 ...

> & REAscripting in the end was the thing that has helped me throw together a

> unified approach. Essentially i am auto-batch rendering audio slices using

> Csound & importing all the slices into the DAW on cue with default envelopes

> applied ... that took a lot of the complexity out of the Csound designs

> (complex polyphony & retriggering ...) & put it somewhere more suited to

> managing audio files, & gave it a front end to-boot ...

> the scores are all algorithmic using Python, just to complete the scenario

> if i live to be 150, i should get all this sorted ...

> archive at Nabble.com.

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
Hi Tarmo - appreciate your reply ...

>>> can you run CsoundQt binary from console and copy here the output?

as requested below ...

It seems to be OK / running this evening now (although there is a bit of a lag between the GUI elements & the update to the kcontrol settings ... i can live with it ... perhaps changes to -b / -B will fix this ... i dabbled ...)

i think that maybe it was simply some kind of problem with the Realtime Audio Configuration settings ... The previous version of CsoundQt i was running was also a bit flaky i now recall, but i found some settings that worked & i basically left them alone for 2 years ... should have jotted them down before upgrading ...

its preferable for me to set / switch between -o & -+rtaudio flags by commenting out ...

-o null
-+rtaudio=null
;-odac

in my .csd header (as i mentioned, i generally have an 'edit' instrument that has GUI elements, i shoot some tables, & then load in a separate render instrument that reads the tables for keyspread parameters etc & plays back my generated .sco rendering straight to 'audio slices' using fout ... hence i mute all audio output at that point ...)

this is actually easier than flicking back & forth into the Config window if i can help it & setting -odac etc ... but obviously not at the expense of crashing the program each time ...

I am also pretty ignorant of the audio setup / dac channels etc in the Mac in general etc ... i picked up this macbook cheap a few years ago, & after a hiatus of not using csound for 4 or 5 years got back into it as a result ... & now having spent many months getting my Python code together, hope to start doing that in earnest ...

Anyway, very late here (currently living in the Czech Republic .. a cheap & cheerful year out after the crushing despair & misery of Adelaide, bust most likely back in the backwaters of Australia by Xmas ...)

If this is a chance to meet / discuss csound with anyone therefore I'm happy to throw that option open ... pity the conference isn't in Europe this year, i probably would have gone along for a look ...

command line blurb follows ...

Last login: Wed Aug 23 00:00:52 on ttys000
MacUsers-MacBookNo16-2:~ macuser$ /Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6 ; exit;
virtual_keyboard real time MIDI plugin for Csound
WARNING: STK opcodes not available: define environment variable RAWWAVE_PATH
(points to rawwaves directory) to use STK opcodes.
0dBFS level = 32768.0
--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017
[commit: 0815e64648cdd7497c97d6a82eeffbcc774596a8]
libsndfile-1.0.25
end of score.   overall amps:      0.0
           overall samples out of range:        0
0 errors in performance
Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 0.043s, CPU: 0.001s
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/FLOSS Manual Examples"
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/McCurdy Collection"
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/Stria Synth"
Using RtMidi API:  0
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../templates/"
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Marc Demers-2

CsoundQt still crash with the latest Csound 6.09.2

Marc

Provenance : Courrier pour Windows 10

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé le :mardi 22 août 2017 18:24
À : [hidden email]
Objet :Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé le :mardi 22 août 2017 18:24
À : [hidden email]

> [...]

"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/McCurdy
Collection"
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/Stria
Synth"
Using RtMidi API:  0
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../templates/"
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Hi Tim, I am glad it works now -  hard to guess what the problem was before.

One thing to keep in mind and separate -  CsoundQt uses Csound library in itself, if Csound crashes, it brings down also CsoundQt.

You can ask - how to make diffrence where the problem is?

Please run your csd in with "Run in terminal" -  if the crash happens also there, it is Csound and report it to Csound mailing list and/or issue tracker,
if the crash happens at start or on other situations otherwise, it is probbly CsoundQt.

Marc, I got now to a Windows machine and can confirm the problem, also see the solution, I will answer to the thread where you initially wrote about the problem. Thanks for reminding!

tarmo

De : [hidden email]
Envoyé le :mardi 22 août 2017 18:24
À : [hidden email]

> [...]

"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/McCurdy
Collection"
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../Resources/Stria
Synth"
Using RtMidi API:  0
"/Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/../templates/"
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
WidgetLayout::loadXmlWidgets Older Widget Format version
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: width invalid.
CsoundQt::setWidgetPanelGeometry() Warning: height invalid.

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Thanks tarmo ...

the short answer, for now, appears to be that csoundQT has changed its preference for my previously default allocation of -odac for real time playback to -odac0 ... i'm not sure what the difference is, every time i nominate an 'out of range number' to try & get a throw to the available list, csound decides that -odac99999999 means i want to render to AIFF ...

running in terminal results in no 'call back' between the channel input / output from the GUI elements ... if i don't require GUI elements, i generally do run csound straight in the terminal ...

incidentally, when i threw to terminal, even with UseCsoundQT realtime audio options unchecked, it seemed to derive the values from there anyway, not my .csd header ...

However, if odac0 gets me over the line & stops the thing crashing, odac0 it is ...

thanks for your help & continuing to maintain this environment that is, all said & done, fairly crucial to my efforts at the moment ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
unfortunately this morning my CsoundQT installation simply won't launch at all. The 'splash' screen / graphic comes up & then that it, it terminates... no hang, no error, nothing ...

i'm going to have to revert ... hopefully 0.9.3 works with Csound 6.09 ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
having installed 0.9.3 there are no graphic elements or widgets displayed whatsoever ...

i'm beginning to recall why i gave up using this for 5 years ... (sorry, not trying to be narky, but it's frustrating, & just reaffirms my initial reasoning ... NEVER upgrade if the thing is working & does 95% of what you want ...)

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
sorry ... correction ... i have widgets. the Console window is black background, & there are no icons across the button menu at the top (play, pause etc ...)

if it behaves, i can run with it ... none the less, these recent releases seem much less reliable / stable than the ones from a few years back ... lets hope this keeps working.

i'll just persevere as best i can for a while, repeatedly reinstall if necessary (at least that is relatively quick on the mac ... i might event try installing 0.9.4 again ... 0.9.4.1 in fact the splash screen told me, not sure if that is significant / different from the 0.9.4 in the Github download ...)

... if i am unable to run any of it at all i'll post ... obviously there is not a lot that can be done when there is so little to diagnose, but there seems to be, on the whole, some major stability issues given my experiences of the last 36 - 48 hours ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
just to complete the current scenario ... csoundQT 0.9.4.1, after reinstallation, still fails to launch on startup ...

& yet it ran yesterday ... no idea ... maybe i can get 0.9.0 (the last stable one i was using) happening with csound 6.09 ... & if not, i'll revert back through csounds towards 6.06 ... back to where i was in the beginning ... hopefully that works ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Thanks, Tim, all this kind of feedback is  welcome!

Can easily be that 0.9.3 works better for you.  I guess from your symptoms
that something went wrong with the preferences file. You can try Help->Reset
Preferences form CsoundQt menu.

I added some settings to version 0.9.4 and changed how and when the settings
are stored (that is better system in my opinion) so seems that can mess up
something on OSX, at least in some versions. I keep thinking.

Did you try to delete the configurations file in some step as I suggested some
mails ago? Might be that this way your 0.9.4.(1) version will work also, but
feel free to try or not, as you wish.

Sorry for the inconvenience but your frustration and feedback may help to iron
out some problems for other users in future.

tarmo

On neljapäev, 24. august 2017 0:30.20 EEST you wrote:

> sorry ... correction ... i have widgets. the Console window is black
> background, & there are no icons across the button menu at the top (play,
> pause etc ...)
>
> if it behaves, i can run with it ... none the less, these recent releases
> seem much less reliable / stable than the ones from a few years back ...
> lets hope this keeps working.
>
> i'll just persevere as best i can for a while, repeatedly reinstall if
> necessary (at least that is relatively quick on the mac ... i might event
> try installing 0.9.4 again ... 0.9.4.1 in fact the splash screen told me,
> not sure if that is significant / different from the 0.9.4 in the Github
> download ...)
>
> ... if i am unable to run any of it at all i'll post ... obviously there is
> not a lot that can be done when there is so little to diagnose, but there
> seems to be, on the whole, some major stability issues given my experiences
> of the last 36 - 48 hours ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Please try to delete the preferences file first and restart, please send me
output from console before you do anything -  this can be valuable feedback!

On neljapäev, 24. august 2017 0:46.37 EEST you wrote:

> just to complete the current scenario ... csoundQT 0.9.4.1, after
> reinstallation, still fails to launch on startup ...
>
> & yet it ran yesterday ... no idea ... maybe i can get 0.9.0 (the last
> stable one i was using) happening with csound 6.09 ... & if not, i'll revert
> back through csounds towards 6.06 ... back to where i was in the beginning
> ... hopefully that works ...

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
Hi tarmo ...

no, i didn't try that suggestion you made ... i forgot about it this morning ... i will look at that & if idiot me is unclear on any aspect i'll ask you ... do we keep all this minutae on list?

0.9.0 also now has the same GUI elements problem ... maybe it is the preferences file ... i will reinstall 0.9.4.1 & then attempt to implement your preferences suggestion / console request etc ... stand by however for 1 or 2 idiotic questions ; )

first a cup of tea ...

appreciate the help. The only way is forward!

if necessary, i'm tempted to lose my build 'virginity' at this point if it comes to it. the assertion on the / your QT homepage is that 'it's easy' ... i / we may learn something useful in the process ...

however lets hope we can find a more trivial fix ...

the reality is, short of burying 9 months of work & going back to doodling with free orchestra samples, there's not a lot of alternative now by the looks ...

at the risk of sounding stupid (never stopped me in the past ...) i feel somewhat comforted by the fact that you are willing & able to assist.

Re: [Csnd] OSX - csoundQT 0.9.4 crash with csound 6.09

Tim Mortimer
OK, first things first (tarmo ...)

with a clean re-installation of 0.9.4.1 ... running the binary produces the following console output ...

Last login: Thu Aug 24 08:54:51 on console
MacUsers-MacBookNo16-2:~ macuser$ /Applications/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6.app/Contents/MacOS/CsoundQt-d-py-cs6 ; exit;
virtual_keyboard real time MIDI plugin for Csound
WARNING: STK opcodes not available: define environment variable RAWWAVE_PATH
(points to rawwaves directory) to use STK opcodes.
0dBFS level = 32768.0
--Csound version 6.09.1 (double samples) Jul 10 2017
[commit: 0815e64648cdd7497c97d6a82eeffbcc774596a8]
libsndfile-1.0.25
end of score.   overall amps:      0.0
           overall samples out of range:        0
0 errors in performance
Elapsed time at end of performance: real: 0.000s, CPU: 0.000s
2017-08-24 10:11:20.654 CsoundQt-d-py-cs6[686:21029] *** Assertion failure in -[NSBitmapImageRep initWithCGImage:], /SourceCache/AppKit/AppKit-1343.16/AppKit.subproj/NSBitmapImageRep.m:1288
2017-08-24 10:11:20.656 CsoundQt-d-py-cs6[686:21029] An uncaught exception was raised
2017-08-24 10:11:20.656 CsoundQt-d-py-cs6[686:21029] Invalid parameter not satisfying: cgImage != NULL
2017-08-24 10:11:20.656 CsoundQt-d-py-cs6[686:21029] (
        0   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff8aee764c __exceptionPreprocess + 172
        1   libobjc.A.dylib                     0x00007fff8be9d6de objc_exception_throw + 43
        2   CoreFoundation                      0x00007fff8aee742a +[NSException raise:format:arguments:] + 106
        3   Foundation                          0x00007fff88e755b9 -[NSAssertionHandler handleFailureInMethod:object:file:lineNumber:description:] + 195
        4   AppKit                              0x00007fff8c72f313 -[NSBitmapImageRep initWithCGImage:] + 135
        5   QtGui                               0x00000001048a9abd _Z21qt_mac_create_nsimageRK5QIconi + 525
        6   libqcocoa.dylib                     0x00000001080adfda qt_plugin_instance + 154170
        7   libqcocoa.dylib                     0x00000001080ab197 qt_plugin_instance + 142327
        8   QtWidgets                           0x00000001041ae58d _ZN5QMenu11actionEventEP12QActionEvent + 1213
        9   QtWidgets                           0x000000010406aef8 _ZN7QWidget5eventEP6QEvent + 1240
        10  QtWidgets                           0x00000001041ac654 _ZN5QMenu5eventEP6QEvent + 1140
        11  QtWidgets                           0x000000010402a58d _ZN19QApplicationPrivate13notify_helperEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 269
        12  QtWidgets                           0x000000010402ced2 _ZN12QApplication6notifyEP7QObjectP6QEvent + 5906
        13  QtCore                              0x0000000104cbd544 _ZN16QCoreApplication15notifyInternal2EP7QObjectP6QEvent + 164
        14  QtWidgets                           0x000000010405ec61 _ZN7QWidget12insertActionEP7QActionS1_ + 353
        15  CsoundQt-d-py-cs6                   0x0000000101edb8a9 _ZN5QHashI7QStringbE13duplicateNodeEPN9QHashData4NodeEPv + 213177
        16  CsoundQt-d-py-cs6                   0x0000000101ecd3d9 _ZN5QHashI7QStringbE13duplicateNodeEPN9QHashData4NodeEPv + 154601
        17  CsoundQt-d-py-cs6                   0x0000000101eb29aa _ZN5QHashI7QStringbE13duplicateNodeEPN9QHashData4NodeEPv + 45498
        18  libdyld.dylib                       0x00007fff91dd95c9 start + 1
        19  ???                                 0x0000000000000001 0x0 + 1
)
2017-08-24 10:11:20.657 CsoundQt-d-py-cs6[686:21029] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'NSInternalInconsistencyException', reason: 'Invalid parameter not satisfying: cgImage != NULL'
*** First throw call stack:
(
[...]
libc++abi.dylib: terminating with uncaught exception of type NSException
Csound tidy up: Abort trap
logout

[Process completed]

12