Quantcast

New pieces

orebronerd
Here are two new pieces I made with csound. All the sounds are made in csound. No samples, mostly FM and physical modeling. Assembled in Cubase with som reverb and eq. They are the first pieces from a CD that will be out in a few months. Feel free to comment and critique.

https://soundcloud.com/fadern/naive-complex

https://soundcloud.com/fadern/horizons-hymn

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

thorin kerr
Well... feeling free to comment and critique...

I liked these.

Impressed with the very acoustic sounding percussion in Naive Complex. Music sounds almost ritualistic.

and

Horizons Hymn reminded me of Solitaire by Arne Nordheim.

Yes, that's a compliment by the way. Well done.

Thorin

On 15 May 2017 9:33 PM, "orebronerd" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Here are two new pieces I made with csound. All the sounds are made in
csound. No samples, mostly FM and physical modeling. Assembled in Cubase
with som reverb and eq. They are the first pieces from a CD that will be out
in a few months. Feel free to comment and critique.

https://soundcloud.com/fadern/naive-complex

https://soundcloud.com/fadern/horizons-hymn

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

Jeanette C.
May 15 2017, orebronerd has written:
> https://soundcloud.com/fadern/naive-complex
I really like this one. It's evocative and in my ears there's a nice
contradiction between the almost natural elements and the obviously
synthetic bursts. I'd love to know how you created the basic
mid frequency drone that runs through the whole piece. A nice bit of
sound design and your sense of sonic balance is great. Thanks for
sharing.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
When you need someone, you just turn around and I will be there <3

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

orebronerd
If you are talking about Horizons-Hymn, the drone is a couple of fixed frequency FM instruments, that I loop with a lot of random for time and a little bit of random for frequency, and then all this is looped again 6-8 times for a broader sound.   I think it is 2 instruments in fifths. (I am not at home right now, so I can´t check.) Generally I work a lot with loops. I find this a big advantage for csound compared to other ways om making sounds(Modulars, Reaktor etc) that I also work with. Modulars has the hands on advantage, but if you want to do more complex sounds that evolve over time, nothing beats csound.

Best regards Martin Flodin

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

Pablo Frank

Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers. There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without reading/examining the .cds files.

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

rorywalsh

Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers. There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without reading/examining the .cds files.

So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? I listen to music every day without access to the score, and I still find it very rewarding.

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

Michael Gogins-2
They are useless for him without the .csd -- as they are relatively
useless for me. He did say he was both a Csound user and a  Csound
developer -- not just a listener.

Csound is to some considerable extent a more cooperative,
collaborative community. For me this is a big plus.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers.
>> There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without
>> reading/examining the .cds files.
>
> So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? I listen to
> music every day without access to the score, and I still find it very
> rewarding.

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

Anton Kholomiov
I think they can inspire you to create something on your own without
looking into someone elses csds.

Or as Rory suggests to listen and wonder)

They are useless for him without the .csd -- as they are relatively
useless for me. He did say he was both a Csound user and a  Csound
developer -- not just a listener.

Csound is to some considerable extent a more cooperative,
collaborative community. For me this is a big plus.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers.
>> There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without
>> reading/examining the .cds files.
>
> So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? I listen to
> music every day without access to the score, and I still find it very
> rewarding.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

akjmicro
I definitely learn a lot seeing other people's Csound code, and when I hear something amazing and magical, my natural desire is to want to analyze it. So I understand Pablo Frank's desire.

That said, I also understand and respect the desire of a composer to keep their special sauces a secret ;)

-AKJ

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Anton Kholomiov <[hidden email]> wrote:
I think they can inspire you to create something on your own without
looking into someone elses csds.

Or as Rory suggests to listen and wonder)

They are useless for him without the .csd -- as they are relatively
useless for me. He did say he was both a Csound user and a  Csound
developer -- not just a listener.

Csound is to some considerable extent a more cooperative,
collaborative community. For me this is a big plus.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Mon, May 15, 2017 at 11:04 AM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers.
>> There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without
>> reading/examining the .cds files.
>
> So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? I listen to
> music every day without access to the score, and I still find it very
> rewarding.
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

orebronerd
Interesting that this started a discussion. I didn't´t post any code mostly because I was at work and didn't´t have access to my files. Jeanette C asked about the drone. I am not sure if this is the sound she was talking about, but it reflects the way I work with lots of loops. I don´t make a whole csd file for the whole piece. As I stated elsewhere I assemble things in Cubase. I don´t work full time as a musician (psychiatrist) so I have to be pragmatic about the way I work. I find this way of working faster and easier. (Render sounds in csound, import to Cubase. Mixing, eq, reverb in Cubase.)
I couldn't find the original file for the drone, (sounds like a lame excuse, but it´s true) so I made a new one. Probably not exactly the same, but the principle is the same. This is how it works:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
ksmps = 1
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

gisine ftgen 0,0,2^16,10,1 ;sine wave for FM
seed 1

instr 1 ;instr 1 is mostly 2 loops that call instr 10.
index2=0
loop2: ;outer loop for fattening the sound
index =0
loop: ;inner loop that creates a random tremolo with a base note and a fifth.
itime random 0,9.9    ;Connected to the length of note in score. The upper value should be increased if you ;make a longer piece.
idur =0.2
ifreq  random 220,235      ;base note
iamp random 0.1,0.15
ipan random 0.1,0.9
event_i "i",10,itime,idur,ifreq,iamp,ipan  ;base note
event_i "i",10,itime+0.1,idur,ifreq*1.5,iamp,ipan     ;fifth
loop_lt index,1,40,loop     ; the counter should be increased if you make a longer note
loop_lt index2,1,8,loop2

ifreqmod random 600,700 ;random freq for modifier
kmod poscil 100,ifreqmod,gisine ;Modifier
asig poscil p5,p4+kmod,gisine ;carrier
kenv linseg 0,0.04,1,p3-0.14,1,0.1,0 ;envelope
asig =asig*kenv
outs asig*p6,asig*(1-p6) ;p6 is a random pan number
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;f 0 10
;t 0 60
i 1 0 10
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

Pablo Frank

"So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? "   <---- I said  **csound works**, not   "all music".

Csound works without .cds files are useless for csound useres/developers. There is no way csound users/developers may get anything useful from without reading/examining the .cds files.

So is all music useless unless you have access to the score? I listen to music every day without access to the score, and I still find it very rewarding.

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

orebronerd
This post was updated on .
A comment on the discussion: I mostly listen to music for sound and composition inspiration. The technical side you can solve in so many different ways, especially with such a rich program as csound.
A comment on the code, before anyone else does: In the example above, the outer loop really doesn´t matter, since the timing is all random. You can just increase the number on the inner loop, and you get the same effect. Here is a more rhythmical example where the outer loop makes sense:

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
sr = 44100
ksmps = 1
nchnls = 2
0dbfs = 1

gisine ftgen 0,0,2^16,10,1, 0.04,0.01,0.01 ;Slightly modified sine wave, so you hear the individual notes better.
seed 1

instr 1 ;instr 1 is mostly 2 loops that call instr 10.
index2=0
loop2: ;outer loop for fattening the sound
index =0
loop: ;inner loop that creates a simple rhythm
itime = index ;creates a simple rhythm
iadd random 0,0.1 ;adds som random to the timing.
itime = itime+iadd   ;combines the timing so you get a sloppy timing.
idur = 0.15
ifreq   random 440,460     ;base note
iamp random 0.2,0.25
ipan random 0.1,0.9
event_i "i",10,itime,idur,ifreq,iamp,ipan  ;base note
loop_lt index,1,10,loop     ; the counter should be increased if you make a longer note
loop_lt index2,1,8,loop2    ;the counter should be increased if you want a fuller sound

asig poscil p5,p4,gisine
kenv linseg 0,0.04,1,p3-0.14,1,0.1,0 ;envelope
asig = asig*kenv
outs asig*p6,asig*(1-p6) ;p6 is a random pan number
endin

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;f 0 10
;t 0 60
i 1 0 10
</CsScore>
</CsoundSynthesizer>

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

AndreaS
"Naive-complex": get musical figures by rhythmical-corporeal-human gestures.
Csound and Cubase have not human body. The result is mechanical (probably
you want it).

"Horizons-Hymn". There's a good spacialization and integration of elements.
The perfect repetition of some element introduces a thin obsession and
rigidity (probably you want it).
All the best
Andrea S.

[...]

itime = index2 ;creates a simple rhythm
[...]

---

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

akjmicro
Andrea Strappa,

I'm curious where we can hear your Csound music, which I can only assume avoids any and all pitfalls such as sounding mechanical, 'thin obsession' (whatever that is) and rigidity? ;)

Best,
AKJ

Aaron Krister Johnson
http://www.untwelve.org

----- Original Message ----- From: "orebronerd" <[hidden email]>

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

orebronerd
To Andrea Strappa: Thank you for your views. Regarding Naive Complex: I was aiming for a kind of "robotic tribe" feeling, so there is a sort of balance between to much natural feel and too much robotic feel. The sound is more "natural", but the timing is more robotic, although it is quite a lot of random in it, see my example 2 above.

Regarding Horizons-Hymn: I am not quite sure what you mean, but I guess your comment regards the more mechanical feel at the end. That is as you say, intended, as a contrast to the more floating drones.

Best regards Martin Flodin

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

AndreaS
ok, the piece is very successful, as "robotic tribe". The sounds are good.
About "Horizons-Hymn", I refer for example to descendent glissati
progression.
Imagining an out of movie:
After a birthday party, someone stays alone with a trouble in his mind.
The two pieces are good. They are two musical photos.
Andrea S.

> To Andrea Strappa: Thank you for your views. Regarding Naive Complex: I
> was
> aiming for a kind of "robotic tribe" feeling, so there is a sort of
> balance
> between to much natural feel and too much robotic feel. The sound is more
> "natural", but the timing is more robotic, although it is quite a lot of
> random in it, see my example 2 above.
>
> Regarding Horizons-Hymn: I am not quite sure what you mean, but I guess
> your
> comment regards the more mechanical feel at the end. That is as you say,
> intended, as a contrast to the more floating drones.
>
> Best regards Martin Flodin

---

Re: [Csnd] New pieces

AndreaS

My impressions want to be sincere and friendly.
All the best.
Andrea S.