Multiple tabs containing a selection of several instruments

Multiple tabs containing a selection of several instruments

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven, dear list,

I would  like to share some general thoughts about the orchestra window,
which I think could be enhanced in the following way:

Right now, as I follow a modular approach in my instrument design
(BSB-Instruments with widgets) and as I usually have plenty of
instruments in the list of instruments in the orchestra window, I do
have to modify parameters of several Instruments to modify one sound:
Not just the sound creating instrument, but also the instrument that
controls the spatial environment, the instrument for the envelope
generator and maybe another one for external modification of parameters
and one or two effects. Usually I keep scrolling up and down to find the
current instruments on the list, select them and be then able to modify
parameters.

Maybe the following idea would facilitate the quick selection of the
proper GUIs with one click: How would it be, if the Orchestra window
could not just contain a single instrument (with the different tabs for
interface, code, udo) but could hold some more tabs to be configured by
desire: Like an artists palette, it might hold the GUIs or code-windows
of several instruments to be chosen by the user. Thus it would be
possible to switch between the currently most actively used instruments
with just one click on a tab. I guess that would speed up my work a lot
and would allow more direct and thus intuitive style of workflow.

I do wonder what other blue users and you, Steven, do think about that
Idea and would like to discuss it. If that is a good idea, I could fancy
making a feature request.

Best,

Jan Jacob

--

sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de

Re: Multiple tabs containing a selection of several instruments

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

Sorry it's taken me a while to reply!  I think there's an interesting
problem to solve here, but I am not sure what is the best solution.  I
would say though maybe best to file a feature request and I can
schedule to look at it after 2.7.0 goes out.  I might be able to spend
some time doing a branch to try to implement something that we can
then test to see if it works well or not.

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 4:18 PM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven, dear list,
>

> I would  like to share some general thoughts about the orchestra window,
> which I think could be enhanced in the following way:
>
> Right now, as I follow a modular approach in my instrument design
> (BSB-Instruments with widgets) and as I usually have plenty of instruments
> in the list of instruments in the orchestra window, I do have to modify
> parameters of several Instruments to modify one sound: Not just the sound
> creating instrument, but also the instrument that controls the spatial
> environment, the instrument for the envelope generator and maybe another one
> for external modification of parameters and one or two effects. Usually I
> keep scrolling up and down to find the current instruments on the list,
> select them and be then able to modify parameters.
>
> Maybe the following idea would facilitate the quick selection of the proper
> GUIs with one click: How would it be, if the Orchestra window could not just
> contain a single instrument (with the different tabs for interface, code,
> udo) but could hold some more tabs to be configured by desire: Like an
> artists palette, it might hold the GUIs or code-windows of several
> instruments to be chosen by the user. Thus it would be possible to switch
> between the currently most actively used instruments with just one click on
> a tab. I guess that would speed up my work a lot and would allow more direct
> and thus intuitive style of workflow.
>
> I do wonder what other blue users and you, Steven, do think about that Idea
> and would like to discuss it. If that is a good idea, I could fancy making a
> feature request.
>

> Best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> --
>
> sound      |      movement       |       object      |      space
> sonic architecture     |      site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition    |    higher order ambisonic music

Re: Multiple tabs containing a selection of several instruments

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I am glad that you agree that it might be good to have "something". I do
share your doubts though, that the proposed solution of mine is the best
possible yet.

I have continued to think about that and I would like now to modify my
proposal a bit. I now think, that rather a small configurable pad of
shortcuts to several windows might solve my problem. That universal pad
might contain not only shortcuts then to several instruments (GUI and
code) but also to windows of specific score objects or tables. If
undocked, it would hover above all other windows to be right away
accessible any time.

I will file a feature request and I will be glad to test a beta-branch
with you if the time has come to work on that. But of course I would
like to know what you and others think of my modified idea.

All the best,