Latest Status

Steven Yi
Hi All,

Just an update on status: I was away last week at the International
Conference on Live Coding (had a lovely time there and was very
inspired by what people were doing).  I've been mostly sick this week
but am getting back into Blue and Csound work.

The BlueSynthBuilder migration to JavaFX is getting there.  I'm
working out some visual quirks now.  One thing I found was that the
Knob view that went out in 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 differed in its sizing from
2.5.14 and previous.  The 2.6.x knob was done in JavaFX, but I had
mistaken some things with sizing.  I am working on getting the sizes
to match the pre-2.6.x sizing, as there is likely a lot more legacy
projects using instruments and effects using the original sizing than
those built and developed using 2.6.x.  The result is that the knob
view moving forward will more closely match that of earlier Blue, but
users who developed new instruments/effects in 2.6.x (including
myself) may have to adjust locations of widgets once 2.7.x goes out.
Apologies for the sizing issues, but I think for the situation, this
is probably the best path forward.

My current plan is to target the 2.7.0 release in time for the Csound
30 conference in November.  I would like to get the rest of the JavaFX
update done next week, then move on to tackling features in the 2.7.0
milestone.

Re: Latest Status

Menno Knevel
Hi Steven,

great that the transfer to JavaFX is nearly completed!
I have some new instruments that i can use so to get acquainted with the new JavaFX style and probably some new useful additions because of this JavaFX. This seems like an opportunity to do an upgrade of all my instruments.

In addition, i was thinking of upgrading all of the existing BSB instruments. A while ago i made a list of errors of the existing instruments that can resolved in the process. I would like to have a look at upgrading the visual presentation of these 'old' instruments and possible do some upgrading now that JavaFX is there to stay :)
(Of course, i will contact the authors first).

If you can make available a beta version, i could commence working on my instruments first and perhaps find some bugs and questions on JavaFX as i go along?

Re: Latest Status

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

Thanks as always for volunteering to help test!  I will certainly be
posting test builds as soon as the codebase is ready.  There's a
couple things I'm working out with how fonts are being done that I
need to test across platforms to see what that looks like. One thing
to note is that once the newer version of Blue loads, it will update
the user instrument and effects libraries, which will make them
incompatible with older Blue versions. Same with loading and saving
files, the updated BSB data will be compatible only with 2.7.0 and up.
So it would be prudent to make backups of your ~/.blue folder before
testing.  (I will reiterate this once I put up test builds.)

On Sat, Oct 22, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Steven,
>
> great that the transfer to JavaFX is nearly completed!
> I have some new instruments that i can use so to get acquainted with the new
> JavaFX style and probably some new useful additions because of this JavaFX.
> This seems like an opportunity to do an upgrade of all my instruments.
>
> In addition, i was thinking of upgrading all of the existing BSB
> instruments. A while ago i made a list of errors of the existing instruments
> that can resolved in the process. I would like to have a look at upgrading
> the visual presentation of these 'old' instruments and possible do some
> upgrading now that JavaFX is there to stay :)
> (Of course, i will contact the authors first).
>
> If you can make available a beta version, i could commence working on my
> instruments first and perhaps find some bugs and questions on JavaFX as i go
> along?

Re: Latest Status

Menno Knevel
Do the JavaFX knobs and sliders have the option of being exponential/linear?

Re: Latest Status

Steven Yi
Hi Menno,

JavaFX is just a UI library/system.  The knob I have in Blue is one I
wrote, so it can be whatever we want.  That said, I think I wrote
about the issues with exponential/linear/logarithmic before.  It seems
to me that UIs in other systems may show a linear scale in the UI but
the result of that may be further mapped onto a logarithmic or
exponential scale.  For example, in analog, the Korg MS-20 has knobs
that go from 0-10, but the underlying values are affected
logarithmically.  In digital, I looked at Reaktor and the knobs have
no options for scale, only min/max/step-size; users there seem to then
map to different scales within their own code.

I still need to to further research to see what other conventions
there may be.

On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Menno Knevel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do the JavaFX knobs and sliders have the option of being exponential/linear?

Re: Latest Status

Menno Knevel
Yes, we had the conversation on the subject before - and it is even an issue in the issue tracker (#321)! It became kind of urgent to me to want to get this exp slider in a BSB yet again and was just wondering about the JavaFX set options.

John came up with a wonderful solution using mathematics. His idea was to use something like (exp(kk)-1)/(exp(1)-1) when mixing two signals ( i am using ntrpol for that).

The results look promising for what i want: a better mixing of 2 sounds. aI will continue to do some more tests with that code. This may well lead to closing this issue #321 on exp faders.