Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

could it be that there is a limit of activated instruments in blue? I found that if I do check more than 98 instruments ( + 1 Instrument as a reader for frozen sound objects) as "active" in the orchestra-tab of blue, I do get this error:

error: syntax error, unexpected INTEGER_TOKEN, expecting T_IDENT  (token "000") from file /Volumes/Macintosh HD III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
 line 2186:
>>>gk_blue_auto1,000 <<<
Parsing failed due to invalid input!
Stopping on parser failure
cannot compile orchestra
end of score.   overall amps:      0.0
           overall samples out of range:        0
1 errors in performance

Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…

All the best,

Jan Jacob

sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

That looks like a text format problem when generating the variable
name (i.e, using "1,000" instead of "1000").  I think I never tested
with such high numbers so I never realized that formatting like that
would occur.  It should be an easy fix.  I have a fair amount of time
today to look at Blue programming and will include fixing this. I will
hopefully have a build you can use today and will send you a link for
testing.

Thanks for reporting this!
steven

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> could it be that there is a limit of activated instruments in blue? I found that if I do check more than 98 instruments ( + 1 Instrument as a reader for frozen sound objects) as "active" in the orchestra-tab of blue, I do get this error:
>
> error: syntax error, unexpected INTEGER_TOKEN, expecting T_IDENT  (token "000") from file /Volumes/Macintosh HD III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
>  line 2186:
> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
> Stopping on parser failure
> cannot compile orchestra
> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>            overall samples out of range:        0
> 1 errors in performance
>

> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>

> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

I have posted builds here:

http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_OSX_2.6.0_test5.zip
http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.6.0_test5.zip

This has the fix for BSB parameter variable name generation as well as
the Automation menu fix that uses scrolling with arrow buttons. (I
used a pre-made component found at
https://tips4java.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/menu-scroller/ .)

Let me know if you have any issues with these!

steven

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jan Jacob,
>
> That looks like a text format problem when generating the variable
> name (i.e, using "1,000" instead of "1000").  I think I never tested
> with such high numbers so I never realized that formatting like that
> would occur.  It should be an easy fix.  I have a fair amount of time
> today to look at Blue programming and will include fixing this. I will
> hopefully have a build you can use today and will send you a link for
> testing.
>
> Thanks for reporting this!
> steven
>
> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Dear Steven,
>>
>> could it be that there is a limit of activated instruments in blue? I found that if I do check more than 98 instruments ( + 1 Instrument as a reader for frozen sound objects) as "active" in the orchestra-tab of blue, I do get this error:
>>
>> error: syntax error, unexpected INTEGER_TOKEN, expecting T_IDENT  (token "000") from file /Volumes/Macintosh HD III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
>>  line 2186:
>> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
>> Stopping on parser failure
>> cannot compile orchestra
>> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>>            overall samples out of range:        0
>> 1 errors in performance
>>

>> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I just tried the new build and it works very well - thanks a lot! Both of the issues are solved.

Regarding the window that lists up the instruments for automatization I could reach every instrument easily, though scrolling through the instruments takes a bit of time now. Before the window took the whole height of the screen, but instruments below that limit could not be reached. Maybe, just as an idea, a combination of "window takes the whole height of the screen" and scrolling would be best: Most of the instruments could be reached instantly, the rest via scrolling. But please do not get me wrong: The current solution works very well, it is really just an idea of improving it even further…

So thanks again for your brilliant work!

Am 22.04.2016 um 19:22 schrieb Steven Yi:

> Hi Jan Jacob,
>
> I have posted builds here:
>
> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_OSX_2.6.0_test5.zip
> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.6.0_test5.zip
>
> This has the fix for BSB parameter variable name generation as well as
> the Automation menu fix that uses scrolling with arrow buttons. (I
> used a pre-made component found at
> https://tips4java.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/menu-scroller/ .)
>
> Let me know if you have any issues with these!
>
> steven
>

> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>
>> That looks like a text format problem when generating the variable
>> name (i.e, using "1,000" instead of "1000").  I think I never tested
>> with such high numbers so I never realized that formatting like that
>> would occur.  It should be an easy fix.  I have a fair amount of time
>> today to look at Blue programming and will include fixing this. I will
>> hopefully have a build you can use today and will send you a link for
>> testing.
>>
>> Thanks for reporting this!
>> steven
>>
>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 9:17 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Dear Steven,
>>>
>>> could it be that there is a limit of activated instruments in blue? I found that if I do check more than 98 instruments ( + 1 Instrument as a reader for frozen sound objects) as "active" in the orchestra-tab of blue, I do get this error:
>>>
>>> error: syntax error, unexpected INTEGER_TOKEN, expecting T_IDENT  (token "000") from file /Volumes/Macintosh HD III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
>>> line 2186:
>>> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
>>> Stopping on parser failure
>>> cannot compile orchestra
>>> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>>>           overall samples out of range:        0
>>> 1 errors in performance
>>>

>>> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>>>

>>> All the best,
>>>
>>> Jan Jacob
>>>

>>> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
>>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Steven Yi
Hi Jan Jacob,

Thanks for confirming the changes work for you!  (and for reporting
them!)  I agree it can be slow with a large list.  I think I took the
quickest path to a workable a solution. It should be easy to increase
the number of menu items shown, but calculating against the screen
size and location of the menus may need a little more time to figure
out.  I'll certainly look further into this and thanks for the
suggestion!

steven

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 9:38 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear Steven,
>
> I just tried the new build and it works very well - thanks a lot! Both of the issues are solved.
>
> Regarding the window that lists up the instruments for automatization I could reach every instrument easily, though scrolling through the instruments takes a bit of time now. Before the window took the whole height of the screen, but instruments below that limit could not be reached. Maybe, just as an idea, a combination of "window takes the whole height of the screen" and scrolling would be best: Most of the instruments could be reached instantly, the rest via scrolling. But please do not get me wrong: The current solution works very well, it is really just an idea of improving it even further…
>
> So thanks again for your brilliant work!
>

> Best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |          space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music
>
> Am 22.04.2016 um 19:22 schrieb Steven Yi:
>
>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>
>> I have posted builds here:
>>
>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_OSX_2.6.0_test5.zip
>> http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_2.6.0_test5.zip
>>
>> This has the fix for BSB parameter variable name generation as well as
>> the Automation menu fix that uses scrolling with arrow buttons. (I
>> used a pre-made component found at
>> https://tips4java.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/menu-scroller/ .)
>>
>> Let me know if you have any issues with these!
>>
>> steven
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Jan Jacob,
>>>
>>> That looks like a text format problem when generating the variable
>>> name (i.e, using "1,000" instead of "1000").  I think I never tested
>>> with such high numbers so I never realized that formatting like that
>>> would occur.  It should be an easy fix.  I have a fair amount of time
>>> today to look at Blue programming and will include fixing this. I will
>>> hopefully have a build you can use today and will send you a link for
>>> testing.
>>>
>>> Thanks for reporting this!
>>> steven

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

Jan Jacob Hofmann
Dear Steven,

I took up work on blue again, yipee! But it looks like the fix for error reported below has not found its way from the test-build to the official version of blue 2.6.1 for mac. The following error shows up again as soon as I have more than 99 instruments present:

error: syntax error, unexpected INTEGER_TOKEN, expecting T_IDENT  (token "000") from file /Volumes/Macintosh HD III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd5072959803649793296.csd (1)
 line 2186:
>>>gk_blue_auto1,000 <<<
Parsing failed due to invalid input!
Stopping on parser failure
cannot compile orchestra

I am now on OSX 12.03 compared to OSX 10.7.5 on April 2016.

Could you please try fix it again?

Cheers,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for reporting this. It took a little time to investigate what
happened and it looks like around September last year I reworked some
code and the bug crept back in. I have a fix for this now in the
develop branch.

I can try to do a custom 2.6.1 build that just has the one fix applied
to it if that is desirable.  Otherwise I can push a new develop build
as well.

Let me know what you would prefer. Thanks!
steven

On Tue, Mar 7, 2017 at 4:58 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
> line 2186:
>
> gk_blue_auto1,000 <<<
>
> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
> Stopping on parser failure
> cannot compile orchestra
> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>           overall samples out of range:        0
> 1 errors in performance
>

> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in
> activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>

> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |
> space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

thanks, I am glad you found the reason.

I’d prefer a custom 2.6.1 build for a fix - then I could take up the work on my piece again.

The testing of 2.7 I will do on my linux system, that way you will not have to build a new installer then for mac now.

Would that be o.k.?

<[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Yes that sounds great.  I'll see if I can do the OSX build when I get
home later this evening.

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:11 AM, Jan Jacob Hofmann
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
> line 2186:
>
> gk_blue_auto1,000 <<<
>
> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
> Stopping on parser failure
> cannot compile orchestra
> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>          overall samples out of range:        0
> 1 errors in performance
>

> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in
> activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>

> All the best,
>
> Jan Jacob
>

> sound         |         movement          |          object         |
> space
> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

I've put together a custom build of 2.6.1 with the fix (hopefully!)
available at:

http://www.kunstmusik.com/blue_OSX_2.6.1.zip

I did not have a chance to test it, but I started with the exact
source from 2.6.1, then applied the change and did a build.  Let me
know if you have any issues!

steven

On Wed, Mar 8, 2017 at 9:19 AM, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> III/Audiofiles/Blue/tempCsd2463929476468503464.csd (1)
>> line 2186:
>>
>> gk_blue_auto1,000 <<<
>>
>> Parsing failed due to invalid input!
>> Stopping on parser failure
>> cannot compile orchestra
>> end of score.              overall amps:      0.0
>>          overall samples out of range:        0
>> 1 errors in performance
>>

>> Right now I do not mind that, I can still be a bit more economic in
>> activating instruments…I just wanted to let you know…
>>

>> All the best,
>>
>> Jan Jacob
>>

>> sound         |         movement          |          object         |
>> space
>> sonic architecture       |        site: http://www.sonicarchitecture.de
>> spatial electronic composition  |  higher order ambisonic music

Re: Is there a limit of activated instruments in blue?

that fix did the job - the error-message is gone, so is the limit of <=99 instruments present at the same time.

Thank you so much!