History Question - Real time Csound

Edward P. Childs

Hello,

I recently came across a fascinating article from an ICAD proceedings (1997) which mentioned real-time capabilities of Csound on a Silicon Graphics workstation for data sonification. The work was done by Suresh K Lodha and his team at UCSC.

I’m guessing that this would entail writing a program to generate Csound score files and rendering them on the fly?

Does anyone recall whether Csound had that kind of capability at that time (1995 – 1997)?

Thanks,

Edward Childs

Re: History Question - Real time Csound

Victor Lazzarini
It should be possible (I have not tested this on csound5) to type in score
lines
on-the-fly using -Lstdin.

I used to do that on Win95 and Silicon Graphics with older versions of csound.
On the SGI (UNIX in general), you can also pipe score lines from other
programs in a similar way (that's how cecilia works in realtime).

Victor

At 18:08 21/09/2005, you wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I recently came across a fascinating article from an ICAD proceedings
>(1997) which mentioned real-time capabilities of Csound on a Silicon
>Graphics workstation for data sonification. The work was done by Suresh K
>Lodha and his team at UCSC.
>
>I’m guessing that this would entail writing a program to generate Csound
>score files and rendering them on the fly?
>
>Does anyone recall whether Csound had that kind of capability at that time
>(1995 – 1997)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Edward Childs

Victor Lazzarini
Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: History Question - Real time Csound

Iain Duncan
> It should be possible (I have not tested this on csound5) to type in
> score lines
> on-the-fly using -Lstdin.

Last time I tried it it worked.
Iain

> I used to do that on Win95 and Silicon Graphics with older versions of
> csound.
> On the SGI (UNIX in general), you can also pipe score lines from other
> programs in a similar way (that's how cecilia works in realtime).
>
> Victor
>
> At 18:08 21/09/2005, you wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I recently came across a fascinating article from an ICAD proceedings
>> (1997) which mentioned real-time capabilities of Csound on a Silicon
>> Graphics workstation for data sonification. The work was done by
>> Suresh K Lodha and his team at UCSC.
>>
>> I?m guessing that this would entail writing a program to generate
>> Csound score files and rendering them on the fly?
>>
>> Does anyone recall whether Csound had that kind of capability at that
>> time (1995 ? 1997)?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Edward Childs
>>

> Victor Lazzarini
> Music Technology Laboratory
> Music Department
> National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Send bugs reports to this list.

Re: History Question - Real time Csound

Iain Duncan
>> It should be possible (I have not tested this on csound5) to type in
>> score lines
>> on-the-fly using -Lstdin.
>
> Last time I tried it it worked.
> Iain

For instance, say you write a midi input parser and control instrument
that is always on. And then you write a new input mode say a day before
a show and you think it's been tested adequately but it crashes because
of a non existent table number, and suddenly your midi hardware doesn't
do anything any more and the music starts to get kinda boring. You can
go over to a terminal, type in

i128 0 10000

and be back in business. Not that *we* would ever have something like
that happen to us in a show, no siree!! ; )

( The even more embarassing thing is that we only came up with the quick
solution after the fact. But we tested it and it does indeed work. )

Iain