H/csoundCore.h

12

H/csoundCore.h

jpff
I still have problems with the lines

    void (*RewindScore)(void *csound);
#ifdef HAVE_GCC3
    __attribute__ ((__format__ (__printf__, 2, 3)))
      void (*Message)(void *csound, const char *format, ...);
    __attribute__ ((__format__ (__printf__, 3, 4)))
      void (*MessageS)(void *csound, int attr, const char *format, ...);
#else
      void (*Message)(void *csound, const char *format, ...);
      void (*MessageS)(void *csound, int attr, const char *format, ...);
#endif

On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes it to throw an
error.  Whatever this is, it is not on all gcc3 systems; can it be
corrected as I have to fix it every down-load?
==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Istvan Varga
[hidden email] wrote:

> On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes it to throw an
> error.  Whatever this is, it is not on all gcc3 systems; can it be
> corrected as I have to fix it every down-load?

Try replacing this line in sysdep.h:

#if (defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC__ >= 3))

with:

#if (defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC__ >= 3)) !defined(DIRENT_FIX)

this way, advanced features of GCC 3.x and newer will not be used on the
"problematic" OS X versions.

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Strange. I have been building csound regularly on OSX 10.2
and haven't had problems (apart from -gstabs debug option,
which I disable).

scons useOldPortAudioPlugin=1 noDebug=1

does it for me.

Victor

> I still have problems with the lines
>
>     void (*RewindScore)(void *csound);
> #ifdef HAVE_GCC3
>     __attribute__ ((__format__ (__printf__, 2, 3)))
>       void (*Message)(void *csound, const char *format,
> ...);
>     __attribute__ ((__format__ (__printf__, 3, 4)))
>       void (*MessageS)(void *csound, int attr, const char
> *format, ...); #else
>       void (*Message)(void *csound, const char *format,
> ...);
>       void (*MessageS)(void *csound, int attr, const char
> *format, ...); #endif
>
> On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes it
> to throw an error.  Whatever this is, it is not on all
> gcc3 systems; can it be corrected as I have to fix it
> every down-load? ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Istvan Varga
Istvan Varga wrote:

> #if (defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC__ >= 3)) !defined(DIRENT_FIX)

With correcting a typing error:

#if (defined(__GNUC__) && (__GNUC__ >= 3)) && !defined(DIRENT_FIX)

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Anthony Kozar
Do you have GCC 3.1 or 3.3, Victor?

10.2 originally came with GCC 3.1 (probably what John has).  But there was
an upgrade released later for 3.3.  Perhaps that is the difference.  (Code
should be fixed to work on either though).

Anthony

On 5/14/05 12:26 PM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> Strange. I have been building csound regularly on OSX 10.2
> and haven't had problems (apart from -gstabs debug option,
> which I disable).

>> On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes it
>> to throw an error.  Whatever this is, it is not on all
>> gcc3 systems; can it be corrected as I have to fix it
>> every down-load? ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Yes I have upgraded to 3.3. I thought John had done it
as well.

Victor

> Do you have GCC 3.1 or 3.3, Victor?
>
> 10.2 originally came with GCC 3.1 (probably what John
> has).  But there was an upgrade released later for 3.3.
> Perhaps that is the difference.  (Code should be fixed to
> work on either though).
>
> Anthony
>
> On 5/14/05 12:26 PM, Victor Lazzarini
> <[hidden email]> etched in stone:
>
> > Strange. I have been building csound regularly on OSX
> > 10.2 and haven't had problems (apart from -gstabs debug
> > option, which I disable).
>
> >> On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes
> it >> to throw an error.  Whatever this is, it is not on
> all >> gcc3 systems; can it be corrected as I have to fix
> it >> every down-load? ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Btw, have you tried the latest csound 5 in your
OSX machine? How does it run?

Victo

> Do you have GCC 3.1 or 3.3, Victor?
>
> 10.2 originally came with GCC 3.1 (probably what John
> has).  But there was an upgrade released later for 3.3.
> Perhaps that is the difference.  (Code should be fixed to
> work on either though).
>
> Anthony
>
> On 5/14/05 12:26 PM, Victor Lazzarini
> <[hidden email]> etched in stone:
>
> > Strange. I have been building csound regularly on OSX
> > 10.2 and haven't had problems (apart from -gstabs debug
> > option, which I disable).
>
> >> On my Mac I have GCC3 but the __attribute work causes
> it >> to throw an error.  Whatever this is, it is not on
> all >> gcc3 systems; can it be corrected as I have to fix
> it >> every down-load? ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

I spent time yesterday looking for an update and the last tools I
could see were the December 2002 tools.  Various other packages like
coreaudio fail to install.
==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Richard Dobson
Are you registered on ADC? (Apple Developer Connection)?  It's a free signup,
and gives access to all the freely availale developer tools (XCode 1.5, the
December 2004 update, CoreAudio SDKs etc):

http://connect.apple.com

Richard Dobson

[hidden email] wrote:

> I spent time yesterday looking for an update and the last tools I
> could see were the December 2002 tools.  Various other packages like
> coreaudio fail to install.
> ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

I was looking at the devel site just now and they don't seem
to have the gcc3.3 update for 10.2 anymore. All they have
there now is the old dec 2002, which gives you a 3.1.

For Xcode & the dec 2004 update you'll need 10.3. It's
as if they're forcing you to upgrade.

Victor

> Are you registered on ADC? (Apple Developer Connection)?
> It's a free signup,  and gives access to all the freely
> availale developer tools (XCode 1.5, the  December 2004
> update, CoreAudio SDKs etc):
>
> http://connect.apple.com
>
> Richard Dobson
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I spent time yesterday looking for an update and the
> > last tools I could see were the December 2002 tools.
> > Various other packages like coreaudio fail to install.
> > ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Btw, did you test the latest csound 5 on OS X? I'm
interested
to see how it is behaving, as here it's not particularly
fast...
and I want to understand why.

Victor

> Are you registered on ADC? (Apple Developer Connection)?
> It's a free signup,  and gives access to all the freely
> availale developer tools (XCode 1.5, the  December 2004
> update, CoreAudio SDKs etc):
>
> http://connect.apple.com
>
> Richard Dobson
>

> [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I spent time yesterday looking for an update and the
> > last tools I could see were the December 2002 tools.
> > Various other packages like coreaudio fail to install.
> > ==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Yes I am a developer twice.  But most of the tools say 10.3 is
necessary.  It was the Apple developer site I was searching.  Xcode
1.x requires 10.3 for all x>1.
==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

I managed to build much of csound5 on OSX, but it totally failed to
run.  May try again later.
==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Anthony Kozar
On 5/15/05 7:16 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> I spent time yesterday looking for an update and the last tools I
> could see were the December 2002 tools.  Various other packages like
> coreaudio fail to install.
> ==John ffitch

On 5/15/05 8:09 AM, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> I was looking at the devel site just now and they don't seem
> to have the gcc3.3 update for 10.2 anymore. All they have
> there now is the old dec 2002, which gives you a 3.1.

Yes, the GCC 3.3 update for the Dec 2002 tools seems to be missing from
Apple's web site now.  (They've also sneakily removed all of the older tools
for versions of OS X prior to 10.2).  I have a copy of the GCC update and
would be happy to send it to you John.  It is 12.8 MB though, so let me know
if you can receive an email that large or if I should upload it somewhere
for you.

If you do upgrade to GCC 3.3, be careful.  The ABI has changed _again_ (!)
and any C++ code compiled with 3.1 or earlier will not work with newly
compiled code.  (So recompile FLTK).

RE: Core Audio, there is a new SDK version (1.3.5) on the ADC site that is
specifically for Pre-Tiger (10.2 and 10.3).  Maybe you should check that
out.

> For Xcode & the dec 2004 update you'll need 10.3. It's
> as if they're forcing you to upgrade.

Yes, that has been Apple's modus operandi since about OS 9.  That is why I
don't play their games anymore :)  When OS 9 ceases to be able to do
everything that I need it to, I will be switching to Linux, not OS X.

(The default for the new tools is always to compile binaries also
incompatible with prior versions of OS X -- but this can be changed).

On 5/15/05 9:17 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> Yes I am a developer twice.  But most of the tools say 10.3 is
> necessary.  It was the Apple developer site I was searching.  Xcode
> 1.x requires 10.3 for all x>1.
> ==John ffitch

As far as I can tell from Apple's site, ALL versions of XCode (1.0 and
higher) require 10.3.  That is why I cannot use the XCode projects supplied
by Matt.

Anthony Kozar
[hidden email]
http://akozar.spymac.net/

Re: H/csoundCore.h

jpff

 >> I was looking at the devel site just now and they don't seem
 >> to have the gcc3.3 update for 10.2 anymore. All they have
 >> there now is the old dec 2002, which gives you a 3.1.

 Anthony> Yes, the GCC 3.3 update for the Dec 2002 tools seems to be
 Anthony> missing from Apple's web site now.  (They've also sneakily
 Anthony> removed all of the older tools for versions of OS X prior to
 Anthony> 10.2).  I have a copy of the GCC update and would be happy
 Anthony> to send it to you John.  It is 12.8 MB though, so let me
 Anthony> know if you can receive an email that large or if I should
 Anthony> upload it somewhere for you.

Should be OK; I have no real limit on this address

 Anthony> If you do upgrade to GCC 3.3, be careful.  The ABI has
 Anthony> changed _again_ (!)  and any C++ code compiled with 3.1 or
 Anthony> earlier will not work with newly compiled code.  (So
 Anthony> recompile FLTK).

 Anthony> RE: Core Audio, there is a new SDK version (1.3.5) on the
 Anthony> ADC site that is specifically for Pre-Tiger (10.2 and 10.3).
 Anthony> Maybe you should check that out.

That is the version that fails to install saying that it is only for
Pre-Tiger.  I suspect that the have made it accept 10.3 but not 10.2

 >> For Xcode & the dec 2004 update you'll need 10.3. It's
 >> as if they're forcing you to upgrade.

Still not at all sure why i want xcode.  I never used Project Builder
-- tried once and it seems all confused, lots of clicking.  I am happy
with Makefiles written by hand (or more accurately with Emacs)

==John ffitch

Re: H/csoundCore.h

Anthony Kozar
On 5/15/05 4:12 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> Anthony> to send it to you John.  It is 12.8 MB though, so let me
> Anthony> know if you can receive an email that large or if I should
> Anthony> upload it somewhere for you.
>
> Should be OK; I have no real limit on this address

OK.  I will send it directly to you at the codemist address.

> Anthony> RE: Core Audio, there is a new SDK version (1.3.5) on the

> That is the version that fails to install saying that it is only for
> Pre-Tiger.  I suspect that the have made it accept 10.3 but not 10.2

I just downloaded this SDK today and the web site said it was for 10.2 and
10.3.  If it will not install then that is probably an error on Apple's part
which should be reported.  I will try to install it here and see what
happens.

> Still not at all sure why i want xcode.  I never used Project Builder
> -- tried once and it seems all confused, lots of clicking.  I am happy
> with Makefiles written by hand (or more accurately with Emacs)

Clearly, you have no need for XCode then ;)

Anthony

Re: CoreAudio SDK

Anthony Kozar
I get the same (inane) message on my 10.2.8 box.  I will try to send a
message to Apple.

Anthony

On 5/15/05 4:12 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> etched in
stone:

> Anthony> RE: Core Audio, there is a new SDK version (1.3.5) on the
> Anthony> ADC site that is specifically for Pre-Tiger (10.2 and 10.3).
> Anthony> Maybe you should check that out.
>
> That is the version that fails to install saying that it is only for
> Pre-Tiger.  I suspect that the have made it accept 10.3 but not 10.2

libcsound 4.23

Victor Lazzarini
Has anyone noticed that libcsound 4.23 seems to copy channels
1 & 2 to 3 & 4 in spin/spout? The csoundapi~ class looks at these
buffers to get its input and output, and that's what's happening.

I would expect that quadraphonic csound 4.23 would not work as well
(at least on windows, that's what I'm looking at), but
I have never tested it.

it's not the csoundapi~ code because it behaves as expected with
libcsound 5.

Victor Lazzarini
Music Technology Laboratory
Music Department
National University of Ireland, Maynooth

Re: libcsound 4.23

Richard Dobson
It must have got changed/broken somewhere; I am regularly using my original
Winsound4.23 (pre-libcsound of course!) to render quad output, and have even
modified it to write the WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE format which then renders properly
on an M-Audio card using MME. It works very well!

Richard Dobson

Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> Has anyone noticed that libcsound 4.23 seems to copy channels
> 1 & 2 to 3 & 4 in spin/spout? The csoundapi~ class looks at these
> buffers to get its input and output, and that's what's happening.
>
> I would expect that quadraphonic csound 4.23 would not work as well
> (at least on windows, that's what I'm looking at), but
> I have never tested it.

OT - Richard Dobson Please Get in Touch

Doctor B
Richard,