Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

DaveSeidel
[I originally posted a version of this on the regular Csound list, but
the list doesn't seem to be working at the moment....]

Using the latest Csound 5.01.0 beta that Mike just released (on WinXP
SP2), I'm not seeing any table graphics at compilation time, ASCII or
otherwise.  Actually, I haven't seen them since I started using Cs5. Has
this been disabled, or am I doing something wrong?  I've tried with and
without -g.

Beyond that, I've tried loading a couple of CSDs that use FLTK, and I'm
not getting any widgets at all, so there may be a more serious issue in
this release.

- Dave

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

Istvan Varga
On Sunday 26 February 2006 16:03, Dave Seidel wrote:

> Using the latest Csound 5.01.0 beta that Mike just released (on WinXP
> SP2), I'm not seeing any table graphics at compilation time, ASCII or
> otherwise.  Actually, I haven't seen them since I started using Cs5. Has
> this been disabled, or am I doing something wrong?  I've tried with and
> without -g.

The displays are disabled by default. To enable graphs, you should either
use the --displays command line option, or edit the .csoundrc file in the
installation directory and remove the -d option.
Note that the FLTK plugin in this release was compiled with threads enabled,
so you cannot use FLTK graphs and widgets at the same time. So, if you are
using widget opcodes, displays are limited to either ASCII (--displays -g)
or PostScript (--displays -G).

> Beyond that, I've tried loading a couple of CSDs that use FLTK, and I'm
> not getting any widgets at all, so there may be a more serious issue in
> this release.

Are you using CsoundVST.exe ? The widget opcodes do not work with that (and
neither with most other GUI frontends, by the way, especially on the Mac).
Use csound.exe, and the widgets should work (just tested under WINE), as long
as you do not also enable FLTK graphs.

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

DaveSeidel
I should add that the console output always states "displays suppressed"
regardless of command line flags.  The "display" opcode doesn't work
either, which follows.

- Dave

On Sunday 26 February 2006 16:22, Dave Seidel wrote:

> I should add that the console output always states "displays suppressed"
> regardless of command line flags.  The "display" opcode doesn't work
> either, which follows.

As explained in the other post, you need the --displays option to revert
the effect of -d, which is in .csoundrc, or remove the -d from .csoundrc.

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

DaveSeidel
Thanks, Istvan, that explains it.

Another question, if you don't mind: how do I discover the legal
arguments to -+rtaudio?  I want to use a specific ASIO interface.

- Dave

On Sunday 26 February 2006 16:40, Dave Seidel wrote:

> Another question, if you don't mind: how do I discover the legal
> arguments to -+rtaudio?  I want to use a specific ASIO interface.

Currently, the possible choices for -+rtaudio on Win32 are:

  portaudio  (the default)
  mme
  null       (no audio input or output, but still does timing)

There is no native ASIO or WDM-KS plugin yet.

However, I assume you really meant listing and selecting PortAudio
devices, which may use different host interfaces. If you use an out of
range device number, the available devices are listed (e.g. -i adc999
or similar would list input devices). Usually (at least on my machine),
MME devices are listed first, then DirectSound, and then ASIO.

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

DaveSeidel
Thanks again, Istvan.

- Dave

Istvan Varga wrote:

> On Sunday 26 February 2006 16:40, Dave Seidel wrote:
>
>> Another question, if you don't mind: how do I discover the legal
>> arguments to -+rtaudio?  I want to use a specific ASIO interface.
>
> Currently, the possible choices for -+rtaudio on Win32 are:
>
>   portaudio  (the default)
>   mme
>   null       (no audio input or output, but still does timing)
>
> There is no native ASIO or WDM-KS plugin yet.
>
> However, I assume you really meant listing and selecting PortAudio
> devices, which may use different host interfaces. If you use an out of
> range device number, the available devices are listed (e.g. -i adc999
> or similar would list input devices). Usually (at least on my machine),
> MME devices are listed first, then DirectSound, and then ASIO.

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

This is not quite correct as far as the Mac is concerned.
The
Csound 5 GUI that comes with the distribution supports
FLTK graphs & widgets together or alone (buttThe Java App
CSDPlayer and Matt's CsoundX do not support FLTK).

> Are you using CsoundVST.exe ? The widget opcodes do not
> work with that (and neither with most other GUI frontends,
> by the way, especially on the Mac). Use csound.exe, and
> the widgets should work (just tested under WINE), as long
> as you do not also enable FLTK graphs.

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

On Windows, the FLTK widgets work from the command line version of Csound, but they do not work from the CsoundVST front end.

The same is true of the table graphs.

Were running from the command line or from CsoundVST?

>[I originally posted a version of this on the regular Csound list, but
>the list doesn't seem to be working at the moment....]
>
>Using the latest Csound 5.01.0 beta that Mike just released (on WinXP
>SP2), I'm not seeing any table graphics at compilation time, ASCII or
>otherwise.  Actually, I haven't seen them since I started using Cs5. Has
>this been disabled, or am I doing something wrong?  I've tried with and
>without -g.
>
>Beyond that, I've tried loading a couple of CSDs that use FLTK, and I'm
>not getting any widgets at all, so there may be a more serious issue in
>this release.
>
>- Dave

Re: Graphics/FLTK in latest installer?

DaveSeidel
Command line.  But it's OK, Istvan straightened me out, and all is well.
  Thanks.

- Dave