FlowGraph

Steven Yi
Hi Ugur and All,

In the blue.orchestra.flowGrapht.test package I've completed an
initial version of the code that compiles from GraphUnit's to Csound
code.  I think this is design is moving in the right direction, but of
course would like any other opinions on the matter.  The TestFlowGraph
class is a bit dense but on the other hand, a user would never do this
stuff by hand.  Most of the work for definining Units will already
have been done by the time they get to the FlowGraph editor (via an
included library of units), and it will be mostly just connecting
objects up.

I think we should also follow Ugur's suggestion in having an interface
that the user-defined Units, the Constant objects, as well as others
should derive from.  Because GraphUnit will hold the connection and
visual details, the interface for what Unit will derive from should
have a getEditor() method that returns either a JComponent editor.
For simple user-defined units, the getEditor() method will return just
a JLabel which will not be editable and that can go in the Box that is
shown on the editor.  For the Constant object, it can return a number
box or a string entry editor depending on type of Constant.

I think the design so far is good but of course not perfect; I'd like
to continue on with this design and move these classes up into the
normal package and remove the test package, with these classes to
become the new FlowGraph core classes.  I'll wait to hear on comments
before doing so; if it's good for everyone else, then I will make the
complete modifications to the editor classes to work with the new code
(or at least compile) before making the big switch.

Re: FlowGraph

Uğur Güney
# I've looked to the CVS repositories and the classes in the
.flowGraph.test package looks great. Particularly the
generateInstrument() method and the VariableManager class. (and they
seems complicated because I didn't dealed with the program for a
while) It gives hope to see some Csound code at least. :-)
# So, the main problem is now solved, the remaining part is designing
the graphical UI, Unit Editor and different types of units.

# I was taking holiday and struggled with the registration period for
the new semester. Next week I'll be able to return to code.
# Thank you!
-ugur-

On 2/22/06, Steven Yi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ugur and All,
>
> In the blue.orchestra.flowGrapht.test package I've completed an
> initial version of the code that compiles from GraphUnit's to Csound
> code.  I think this is design is moving in the right direction, but of
> course would like any other opinions on the matter.  The TestFlowGraph
> class is a bit dense but on the other hand, a user would never do this
> stuff by hand.  Most of the work for definining Units will already
> have been done by the time they get to the FlowGraph editor (via an
> included library of units), and it will be mostly just connecting
> objects up.
>
> I think we should also follow Ugur's suggestion in having an interface
> that the user-defined Units, the Constant objects, as well as others
> should derive from.  Because GraphUnit will hold the connection and
> visual details, the interface for what Unit will derive from should
> have a getEditor() method that returns either a JComponent editor.
> For simple user-defined units, the getEditor() method will return just
> a JLabel which will not be editable and that can go in the Box that is
> shown on the editor.  For the Constant object, it can return a number
> box or a string entry editor depending on type of Constant.
>
> I think the design so far is good but of course not perfect; I'd like
> to continue on with this design and move these classes up into the
> normal package and remove the test package, with these classes to
> become the new FlowGraph core classes.  I'll wait to hear on comments
> before doing so; if it's good for everyone else, then I will make the
> complete modifications to the editor classes to work with the new code
> (or at least compile) before making the big switch.
>
> Thanks!
> steven

Re: FlowGraph

Steven Yi
Hi Ugur,

Thanks for taking a look at the code!  I think I'll go ahead and move
them up to the main package then.  I think the rest won't be so bad; I
have some ideas for the Unit Editor dialog already.  I am planning to
make another release fairly soon though as I just redid the SoundFont
viewer and am about to add functionality to the PianoRoll to have a
mode to output MIDI note values, so will start again on the FlowGraph
after the release (which I hope to get out in the next day or two).

Hope you had a good holiday and looking forward to coding again with
you on the FlowGraph!

steven