Quantcast

Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Cacophony7
Ok, I'm on page 134 of the blue manual and have been reading it for days.
I'm stuck on the part where I have to set the command line to call Csound.
Where is the command line?

I look forward to composing my own songs with blue.

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Cacophony7
...I have to tell blue where Csound is, right?
how do I do that?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Hi Michael,

I'm not sure manual version you are using, but are you reading the
"Your first project"?  This is likely out of date.  The easiest thing
is to try opening one of the examples in the blue/examples folder and
try pressing play to run it.  If it does not, then you'll have to
modify settings in Program Options.

Thanks and good luck!
steven

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:43 AM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok, I'm on page 134 of the blue manual and have been reading it for days.
> I'm stuck on the part where I have to set the command line to call Csound.
> Where is the command line?
>
> I look forward to composing my own songs with blue.

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Blue generally is pre configured to run with csound installations on various os's. If not you can modify in Program Options. What OS are you on? Also, take a look at the program options section, earlier in the manual.

One example seems to work. Got an example of a simple oscillator?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Cacophony7
I'm using Windows 7 (32-bit).

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

Sorry for taking a while to reply!  Hopefully my work load will
lighten up after this week.

I don't have an example handy at the moment, but you might want to
watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_MM_htnOR4&list=PLdiJLUsiIP-wh5U3arDq0sYGaiEuQCMnb

It's from a workshop I gave at the Csound Conference in 2011.  While
the blue version is a bit old now, the fundamental material is still
pretty good and should hopefully get the basics down. I've been
planning to do a series of video lessons for blue, but am waiting to
get a couple more things implemented before I do that so that the
videos will last a bit longer before getting out of date.

Otherwise, hope things are going alright!  If you're still stuck, just
write back here.

Cacophony7
Don't mean to be picky but I can't find this email in my Gmail account. It doesn't seem to be there. Why?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

But what email are you referring to?  The last one I posted is in
sourceforge's archive here:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=1361479824042-5720263.post%40n5.nabble.com&forum_name=bluemusic-users

are you subscribed to the mailing list or following through nabble?

steven

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 8:50 PM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't mean to be picky but I can't find this email in my Gmail account. It
> doesn't seem to be there. Why?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Cacophony7
Everything anyone posts anything on this list including me is SUPPOSED to go to my gmail account as well.
It doesn't seem to be doing that anymore.

I checked out the beginning of the "workshop steven" video. I couldn't read the screen that well. I'd rather read a book instead.

how old is blue?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Steven Yi
Hi Michael,

I don't know what's going on with your account.  Yes, I agree, you
should be getting emails if you're subscribed and it is odd that you
are not. I am on gmail and I am receiving all emails to the mailing
list.  I checked the mailing list member settings for your account and
it has nodupes and digest set, but that's the only difference compared
to the settings I have on my account.  I don't know if nodupes is
affecting things, or if there's something to do with your gmail
account.

Have you missed other emails from this list?  I could contact
Sourceforge about this if you've been regularly missing emails to see
if they know what's going on.

As for the video, sorry it's not doing it for you.  As for a book, the
manual is in the state is in and as I've stated in previous emails I
have plans to revise it, but have not gotten around to it.  Until
then, you're welcome to ask further questions here or email me off
list.

BTW: for a simple example, you can download the examples from the conference at:

http://www.kunstmusik.com/csoundConference.zip

Example 2 has a very simple instrument using vco2 and filter.  It uses
Global Score to play it.  At the conference, we eventually took that
example and moved the score into a Generic Score to use it on the
timeline.

As for history, Blue started in 2000.

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 5:58 AM, Cacophony7 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Everything anyone posts anything on this list including me is SUPPOSED to go
> to my gmail account as well.
> It doesn't seem to be doing that anymore.
>
> I checked out the beginning of the "workshop steven" video. I couldn't read
> the screen that well. I'd rather read a book instead.
>
> how old is blue?

Re: Doing a blue tutorial... need help.

Cacophony7
... it's because my gmail is full. It had about 1000. I just deleted 200.