Csound5 and virtual Raw MIDI connection, PDF generation, python libpath in SConstruct

Csound5 and virtual Raw MIDI connection, PDF generation, python libpath in SConstruct

Sebastian Gutsfeld
Hi List,

yesterday I decided to switch from csound4 to csound5, so I fetched the
sources from CVS and compiled them. I had 2 problems with compilation:

I can't get the generatePdf scons option to work, because my pdflatex
command doesn't have the "--include-directory" option (the "--job-name"
option in my pdflatex installation is called "--jobname").

Here's the output from "pdflatex -version" (I'm using Debian testing):

,----[ pdflatex -version ]
| pdfeTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b-2.1
| kpathsea version 3.4.5
| Copyright (C) 1997-2003 The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
| Kpathsea is copyright (C) 1997-2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
| There is NO warranty.  Redistribution of this software is
| covered by the terms of both the pdfeTeX copyright and
| the GNU General Public License.
| For more information about these matters, see the files
| named COPYING and the pdfeTeX source.
| Primary author of pdfeTeX: The NTS Team (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
| Kpathsea written by Karl Berry and others.
`----

Any ideas how I can generate the PDF docs?

A little wish concerning the SConstruct file: A configurable Python
libpath would be nice, because on my system it's located at
/usr/lib/python2.3 and not in /usr/local/lib/python2.3 as in the
SConstruct file. But it's not really a problem changing this path in the
file.

My main problem with csound5 (or portmidi 12nov04?) is, that I'm not
able to get MIDI connections from alsa virtual Raw MIDI devices to work
(no problem when I directly connect to my MIDI keyboard). Here are my
available MIDI devices:

,----
| The available MIDI in devices are:
|    0: EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) (ALSA)
|    1: UM-2 MIDI 1 (ALSA)
|    2: UM-2 MIDI 2 (ALSA)
|    3: VirMIDI 2-0 (ALSA)
|    4: VirMIDI 2-1 (ALSA)
|    5: VirMIDI 2-2 (ALSA)
|    6: VirMIDI 2-3 (ALSA)
|    7: Virtual Keyboard (ALSA)
`----

Csound5 only works with device 1,2 (MIDI interface to my keyboard) and
7, but not with 3,4,5 and 6. Has anybody else experienced this strange
behaviour and knows a solution?

   Sebastian
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Csound5 and virtual Raw MIDI connection, PDF generation, python libpath in SConstruct

Dave Phillips
Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:

>My main problem with csound5 (or portmidi 12nov04?) is, that I'm not
>able to get MIDI connections from alsa virtual Raw MIDI devices to work
>(no problem when I directly connect to my MIDI keyboard). Here are my
>available MIDI devices:
>
>,----
>| The available MIDI in devices are:
>|    0: EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) (ALSA)
>|    1: UM-2 MIDI 1 (ALSA)
>|    2: UM-2 MIDI 2 (ALSA)
>|    3: VirMIDI 2-0 (ALSA)
>|    4: VirMIDI 2-1 (ALSA)
>|    5: VirMIDI 2-2 (ALSA)
>|    6: VirMIDI 2-3 (ALSA)
>|    7: Virtual Keyboard (ALSA)
>`----
>
>Csound5 only works with device 1,2 (MIDI interface to my keyboard) and
>7, but not with 3,4,5 and 6. Has anybody else experienced this strange
>behaviour and knows a solution?

I just tried using -M5 (where 5 was the virtual keyboard) with a simple
test csd file, it worked fine, but my version of Cs5 is not up to date
(it's from May 3). I've never had problems with any listed MIDI I/O port.

What are your CsOptions or command-line options ?

Best,

dp

Dave Phillips <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
>
>>My main problem with csound5 (or portmidi 12nov04?) is, that I'm not
>>able to get MIDI connections from alsa virtual Raw MIDI devices to work
>>(no problem when I directly connect to my MIDI keyboard). Here are my
>>available MIDI devices:
>>
>>,----
>>| The available MIDI in devices are:
>>|    0: EMU10K1 MPU-401 (UART) (ALSA)
>>|    1: UM-2 MIDI 1 (ALSA)
>>|    2: UM-2 MIDI 2 (ALSA)
>>|    3: VirMIDI 2-0 (ALSA)
>>|    4: VirMIDI 2-1 (ALSA)
>>|    5: VirMIDI 2-2 (ALSA)
>>|    6: VirMIDI 2-3 (ALSA)
>>|    7: Virtual Keyboard (ALSA)
>>`----
>>
>>Csound5 only works with device 1,2 (MIDI interface to my keyboard) and
>>7, but not with 3,4,5 and 6. Has anybody else experienced this strange
>>behaviour and knows a solution?
>>

> I just tried using -M5 (where 5 was the virtual keyboard) with a
> simple test csd file, it worked fine, but my version of Cs5 is not up
> to date (it's from May 3). I've never had problems with any listed
> MIDI I/O port.

I just dicovered that this is no csound/portmidi problem but an alsa
problem. I can use the "writable clients/input ports" of virmidi
e.g. with csound4 ("csound -dWo dac -M /dev/snd/midiC2D0
midisynth.csd"). The "readable clients/output ports" of virmidi don't
work.

I also can't get any synth to work when routing the midi output of a
keyboard to virmidi 2-0 and then routing virmidi 2-0 to the synth.

> What are your CsOptions or command-line options ?

"csound -d -W -o dac:plughw:0 -+rtaudio=alsa -M 3 midisynth.csd" and
with "-M 1" or "-M 7" everything works fine (see above for my available
midi devices and their corresponding numbers).

regards,
   Sebastian
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Csound5 and virtual Raw MIDI connection, PDF generation, python libpath in SConstruct

Istvan Varga
Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:

> I also can't get any synth to work when routing the midi output of a
> keyboard to virmidi 2-0 and then routing virmidi 2-0 to the synth.

I also encountered this ALSA MIDI problem, and was able to work around
by piping MIDI data from one port to another with the 'dd' command.
Strange, but this hack fixed the problem. An example:
   dd if=/dev/snd/midiC1D1 of=/dev/snd/midiC1D2 bs=1

Istvan Varga <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
>
>> I also can't get any synth to work when routing the midi output of a
>> keyboard to virmidi 2-0 and then routing virmidi 2-0 to the synth.
>
> I also encountered this ALSA MIDI problem, and was able to work around
> by piping MIDI data from one port to another with the 'dd' command.
> Strange, but this hack fixed the problem. An example:
>    dd if=/dev/snd/midiC1D1 of=/dev/snd/midiC1D2 bs=1

Thanks! This works (although this is really a hack :-/ ).

regards,
   Sebastian
--
Send bugs reports to [hidden email]
              (or to http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/cgi-bin/csound )

Re: Csound5 and virtual Raw MIDI connection, PDF generation, python libpath in SConstruct

Sebastian Gutsfeld
Istvan Varga <[hidden email]> writes:

> Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
>
>> I also can't get any synth to work when routing the midi output of a
>> keyboard to virmidi 2-0 and then routing virmidi 2-0 to the synth.
>
> I also encountered this ALSA MIDI problem, and was able to work around
> by piping MIDI data from one port to another with the 'dd' command.
> Strange, but this hack fixed the problem. An example:
>    dd if=/dev/snd/midiC1D1 of=/dev/snd/midiC1D2 bs=1

Clemens Ladisch from the linux audio user mailinglist showed me the
solution for my problem (it was just a misunderstanding on my side):

,----
| Sebastian Gutsfeld wrote:
| > I recently discovered that the output/readable ports of VirMIDI don't
| > send any MIDI messages but the input/writable ports of VirMIDI still
| > work.
| >
| > Here's an example setup:
| >
| > MIDI keyboard -> VirMIDI 2-0
| > VirMIDI 2-0   -> synth
| >
| > This doesn't work,
|
| VirMIDI translates between sequencer ports and old rawmidi devices
| (/dev/midi* or /dev/snd/rawmidi*).
|
| If you want a simple MIDI through device, load snd-seq-dummy.
`----

So for connecting csound5 to an writable alsa sequencer client I don't
need a virtual MIDI device but a MIDI through device. Now I can enjoy my
new csound5 installation :)

   Sebastian