[Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

[Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

Anton Kholomiov
I've made a very basic Csound media player.
To be used on concerts with someone who doesn't know
the Csound but can play keyboards, toggle buttons and
update knobs and sliders.

Also can be used to quickly listen for csound files
without the need to type in the command line.

Right now it can be invoked with python on cmd line.
I plan to add an installer. So that users without a python knowledge
can use it too. If you are curious README says how to run it.

I hope it can be useful to you!

Anton

Re: [Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

Steven Yi
Hi Anton,

I'm on OSX and I had to install wxPython (I use homebrew, so I used
'brew install wxpython') but after that, the project ran fine. I was
able to load a directory then click files to play.  The interface
could be polished, IMO, but the idea is sound, and I'm glad someone is
working on something like this.

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 3:21 PM, Anton Kholomiov
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've tested it only on Ubuntu so, your Windows/OSX feedback is welcome

>> I've made a very basic Csound media player.
>> To be used on concerts with someone who doesn't know
>> the Csound but can play keyboards, toggle buttons and
>> update knobs and sliders.
>>
>> https://github.com/anton-k/csound-player
>>
>> Also can be used to quickly listen for csound files
>> without the need to type in the command line.
>>
>> Right now it can be invoked with python on cmd line.
>> I plan to add an installer. So that users without a python knowledge
>> can use it too. If you are curious README says how to run it.
>>
>> I hope it can be useful to you!
>>
>> Anton

Re: [Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

HI,

works out of the box on openSuse linux.

Thanks for sharing the code and an example on using PythonWx widgets. Probably it can be one of the moust universal ways to create cross-platform universal simple utilities (or frontends for them).

Best!

tarmo

On Thursday 15 October 2015 22:18:10 you wrote:

> I've made a very basic Csound media player.

> To be used on concerts with someone who doesn't know

> the Csound but can play keyboards, toggle buttons and

> update knobs and sliders.

> https://github.com/anton-k/csound-player

> Also can be used to quickly listen for csound files

> without the need to type in the command line.

> Right now it can be invoked with python on cmd line.

> I plan to add an installer. So that users without a python knowledge

> can use it too. If you are curious README says how to run it.

> I hope it can be useful to you!

> Anton

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

gsenna
Works in Ubuntu Studio 14.04.3. Although when I click the Preference
menu nothing happens.
I think it's a great simple utility! No more fixed order of "for f in
*csd; do csound $f; done" for test-listening a directory.

Thanks.

On 15/10/15 16:18, Anton Kholomiov wrote:

> I've made a very basic Csound media player.
> To be used on concerts with someone who doesn't know
> the Csound but can play keyboards, toggle buttons and
> update knobs and sliders.
>
> https://github.com/anton-k/csound-player
>
> Also can be used to quickly listen for csound files
> without the need to type in the command line.
>
> Right now it can be invoked with python on cmd line.
> I plan to add an installer. So that users without a python knowledge
> can use it too. If you are curious README says how to run it.
>
> I hope it can be useful to you!
>
> Anton
> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

Re: [Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

Fabio De Sanctis De Benedictis

On Fedora 20 it runs, very nice, thank you.

fdsdb

Il giorno gio, 15/10/2015 alle 22.21 +0300, Anton Kholomiov ha scritto:

> I've tested it only on Ubuntu so, your Windows/OSX feedback is welcome

> <[hidden email]>:
>         I've made a very basic Csound media player.
>         To be used on concerts with someone who doesn't know
>         the Csound but can play keyboards, toggle buttons and
>         update knobs and sliders.
>

>         https://github.com/anton-k/csound-player
>

>         Also can be used to quickly listen for csound files
>         without the need to type in the command line.
>

>         Right now it can be invoked with python on cmd line.
>         I plan to add an installer. So that users without a python
>         knowledge
>         can use it too. If you are curious README says how to run it.
>

>         I hope it can be useful to you!
>

>         Anton

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and
> features can be posted here

Re: [Csound] Simple Desktop player for csound files

Anton Kholomiov
Thanks for feedback.

@Steven I guess that instructions for OSX should be:

```
brew install python wxpython python-csound
```

Correct me if I wrong please. Since I can not test it.

@Guillermo The preferences are not implemented yet.
 I plan to add font size and color styles per playlist.
So that user can quickly distinguish between several
launched instances. Maybe some other preferences.

I would like to implement continuous playing.
So that when Csound is done with one track it
can play the next one.
But it probably requires to use python threads
which I don't know how to use right now.

@Steven

While developing this app there is a desire to
be able to control volume with API.
All media players have this volume slider.
Right now we can interact with Csound files only with
channels and messages. But it would be nice if we could
somehow control the volume in the generic way.
When I stop the Csound instance I'd like to add a tiny
fade out segment. But unfortunately it's not possible.
Maybe there is some functionality of Csound API that I'm not aware of.

Anton