[Csnd] vcv rack...

12

[Csnd] vcv rack...

öh-2
Just wondering if anyone here has been able to compile this:

https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules
<https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules>

on windows?

I've been trying for some time now and I'm stuck, so any hint is
appreciated...

I get this:

I have tried numerous  -I -L -l -i  options and different directory
combinations in the makefile

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

Steven Yi
I assume you would need something like:

LDFLAGS += -L c:/Program\ Files/Csound6_x64/bin -lcsound64

or could try:

LDFLAGS += -L "c:\Program Files\Csound6_x64\bin" -lcsound64

What is the output you get when you try to compile?

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 1:22 AM, öh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone here has been able to compile this:
>
> https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules
> <https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules>
>
> on windows?
>
> I've been trying for some time now and I'm stuck, so any hint is
> appreciated...
>
> I get this:
>

> I have tried numerous  -I -L -l -i  options and different directory
> combinations in the makefile
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

rasmus ekman
The instructions are quite brief:
https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack#windows

But today there's an instruction vid for anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoY_UCPdnM

Following the steps there worked for me out of the box; MSYS does the job.

I've tried and failed to build some of the libs he uses, I'm going to look into MSYS some more.

     /re

On 2018-01-26 07:22, öh wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone here has been able to compile this:
>
> https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules
> <https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules>
>
> on windows?
>
> I've been trying for some time now and I'm stuck, so any hint is
> appreciated...
>
> I get this:
>

> I have tried numerous  -I -L -l -i  options and different directory
> combinations in the makefile
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

rorywalsh
So you need to link to the csound64.lib that's shipped with the latest installer. Here's a sample command that builds a simple Csound API app for me from the csoundAPI_examples repo:

g++ SimpleCsdPlayback.cpp -o test.exe -I "c:/Program Files/Csound6_x64/include/csound" "c:/Program Files/Csound6_x64/lib/csound64.lib"

Note you don't need any -L or -l,  just the full path and name of the csound64.lib file.

On 27 January 2018 at 20:32, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
What Csound lib are you trying to link to when building?

On 27 January 2018 at 18:48, rasmus ekman <[hidden email]> wrote:
The instructions are quite brief:
https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack#windows

But today there's an instruction vid for anything:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoY_UCPdnM

Following the steps there worked for me out of the box; MSYS does the job.

I've tried and failed to build some of the libs he uses, I'm going to look into MSYS some more.

    /re

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

rasmus ekman
Sheesh, my bad!
I misread completely, didn't see the "csound" part in the post at all.

[fades back into shadows]

On 2018-01-27 21:59, Rory Walsh wrote:

> So you need to link to the csound64.lib that's shipped with the latest installer. Here's a sample command that builds a simple Csound API app for me from the csoundAPI_examples repo:
>
> g++ SimpleCsdPlayback.cpp -o test.exe -I "c:/Program Files/Csound6_x64/include/csound" "c:/Program Files/Csound6_x64/lib/csound64.lib"
>
> Note you don't need any -L or -l,  just the full path and name of the csound64.lib file.
>
> On 27 January 2018 at 20:32, Rory Walsh <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     What Csound lib are you trying to link to when building?
>
>     On 27 January 2018 at 18:48, rasmus ekman <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         The instructions are quite brief:
>         https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack#windows <https://github.com/VCVRack/Rack#windows>
>
>         But today there's an instruction vid for anything:
>         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoY_UCPdnM <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaoY_UCPdnM>
>
>         Following the steps there worked for me out of the box; MSYS does the job.
>
>         I've tried and failed to build some of the libs he uses, I'm going to look into MSYS some more.
>
>             /re
>

>         On 2018-01-26 07:22, öh wrote:
>
>             Just wondering if anyone here has been able to compile this:
>
>             https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules <https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules>
>             <https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules <https://github.com/Djack13/VCV-Rack-Csound-Modules>>
>
>             on windows?
>
>             I've been trying for some time now and I'm stuck, so any hint is
>             appreciated...
>
>             I get this:
>

>             I have tried numerous  -I -L -l -i  options and different directory
>             combinations in the makefile
>

>             --
>             Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html>

>             https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>             Send bugs reports to
>                     https://github.com/csound/csound/issues <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>             Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here
>

>         Csound mailing list
>         [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND <https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND>
>         Send bugs reports to
>                https://github.com/csound/csound/issues <https://github.com/csound/csound/issues>
>         Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

öh-2
ok, thanks for the response...

I've tinkered a bit more and finally got it to compile.

But first, some text disappeared from my original message, it should read:

I get this:

src/CsoundReverb.cpp:5:10: fatal error: csound/csound.hpp: No such file or
directory
 #include <csound/csound.hpp>
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1

...I tried many, many variations and combinations of FLAGS, CFLAGS and
CXXFLAGS
directory directions in the makefile. Nothing worked, so I brute force
copied the
csound folder from the include folder in the original Csound install include
folder
(C:\Program Files\csound-windows-x64\include) to msys64 include location
(D:\msys64\mingw64\include).

Now if you give -Icsound to FLAGS in the makefile the compiler will find it,
and
it seems to be the *only* way...

Also, I changed LDFLAGS to "C:\Program Files\csound-windows-x64\lib"
-lcsound64
to point to my Csound install library.

next try to make I got this:

D:/msys64/mingw64/include/csound/sysdep.h:107:10: fatal error:
float-version.h: No such file or directory
 #include "float-version.h"
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1

I found a "float-version.h.in" in the csound include folder which I renamed
"float-version.h".

this will give you:

D:/msys64/mingw64/include/csound/float-version.h:31:2: error: invalid
preprocessing directive #cmakedefine; did you mean #define?
 #cmakedefine USE_DOUBLE
  ^~~~~~~~~~~
  define
make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1

so I commented out '#cmakedefine USE_DOUBLE'.

...and now it compiles!

But, alas, it does not work anyway. Examining the Rack log (in
Documents\Rack) shows

'[warning] Failed to read init() symbol in
C:\Users\hidde\Documents/Rack/plugins/Csound/plugin.dll'

This is probably not a question for the Csound community though, but still,
if anyone here gets this running, I'd be most interested in how to do it...

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

Steven Yi
We just found that float-version.h is not correctly installed.  (The
build script for the installer incorrectly copies in
float-version.h.in.)  We're testing a fix now.

For now, you can rename the file to float-version.h and instead of
deleting that line, you should replace the line with:

#define USE_DOUBLE

That is surely necessary for the version of Csound installed.
However, I don't know if that will affect the init() error, but it
would be good to try.

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 2:24 PM, öh
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> ok, thanks for the response...
>
> I've tinkered a bit more and finally got it to compile.
>
> But first, some text disappeared from my original message, it should read:
>
> I get this:
>
> src/CsoundReverb.cpp:5:10: fatal error: csound/csound.hpp: No such file or
> directory
>  #include <csound/csound.hpp>
>           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> compilation terminated.
> make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1
>
> ...I tried many, many variations and combinations of FLAGS, CFLAGS and
> CXXFLAGS
> directory directions in the makefile. Nothing worked, so I brute force
> copied the
> csound folder from the include folder in the original Csound install include
> folder
> (C:\Program Files\csound-windows-x64\include) to msys64 include location
> (D:\msys64\mingw64\include).
>
> Now if you give -Icsound to FLAGS in the makefile the compiler will find it,
> and
> it seems to be the *only* way...
>
> Also, I changed LDFLAGS to "C:\Program Files\csound-windows-x64\lib"
> -lcsound64
> to point to my Csound install library.
>
> next try to make I got this:
>
> D:/msys64/mingw64/include/csound/sysdep.h:107:10: fatal error:
> float-version.h: No such file or directory
>  #include "float-version.h"
>           ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> compilation terminated.
> make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1
>
> I found a "float-version.h.in" in the csound include folder which I renamed
> "float-version.h".
>
> this will give you:
>
> D:/msys64/mingw64/include/csound/float-version.h:31:2: error: invalid
> preprocessing directive #cmakedefine; did you mean #define?
>  #cmakedefine USE_DOUBLE
>   ^~~~~~~~~~~
>   define
> make: *** [../../compile.mk:54: build/src/CsoundReverb.cpp.o] Error 1
>
> so I commented out '#cmakedefine USE_DOUBLE'.
>
> ...and now it compiles!
>
> But, alas, it does not work anyway. Examining the Rack log (in
> Documents\Rack) shows
>
> '[warning] Failed to read init() symbol in
> C:\Users\hidde\Documents/Rack/plugins/Csound/plugin.dll'
>
> This is probably not a question for the Csound community though, but still,
> if anyone here gets this running, I'd be most interested in how to do it...
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

öh-2
I have now replaced

#cmakedefine USE_DOUBLE with #define USE_DOUBLE

in float-version.h, but the result is the same. It compiles (no warnings),
but won't run.

I also tried with no FLAGS specified in the makefile and it still compiles,
as long as the csound include folder resides in 'D:\msys64\mingw64\include',
and the above change has been made to float-version.h.

The init() error remains though, so I tried to compile the
SimpleCsdPlayback.cpp as Rory suggested. I've done this successfully before
(on mingw32). Now it compiles, but like the above, also won't run. It says:

$ ./test
D:/bibliotek/ljudprg/csound00/csoundAPI_examples/csoundAPI_examples-master/cpp/test.exe:
error while loading shared libraries: libgcc_s_seh-1.dll: cannot open shared
object file: No such file or directory

I wonder if this has to do with the transition from msys to msvc perhaps?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

Victor Lazzarini-2
Ok, so despite being C++ this project does not use any C++ from Csound then?

Anyway, the error as you said is to do with a DLL not being found. Maybe the PATH is not right.

On 31 Jan 2018, at 20:14, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Michael Gogins-2
You can use header-file-only C++ classes between MinGW and MSVC. These
include csound.hpp and csound_threaded.hpp. Others I don't think will
work.

Irreducible Productions
http://michaelgogins.tumblr.com
Michael dot Gogins at gmail dot com

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ah, I must check the rack log and see if I'm getting the same problem,
> that's probably why it doesn't show. I'll let you know..
>
> On 31 Jan 2018 10:10 p.m., "Rory Walsh" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I just built VCV here on Windows, and I've built the plugin, how do I get
>> VCVRack to load it? Is there some trick, the plugin.dll is in the Csound
>> module folder, do I need to put it someplace else?
>>
>> On 31 January 2018 at 20:29, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Ok, so despite being C++ this project does not use any C++ from Csound
>>> then?
>>>
>>> Anyway, the error as you said is to do with a DLL not being found. Maybe
>>> the PATH is not right.
>>>
>>> Victor Lazzarini
>>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy
>>> Maynooth University
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> On 31 Jan 2018, at 20:14, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Compiling the Csound API examples in C++ worked for me with msys and the
>>> latest windows version of Csound. I don't expect the csnd lib to work.

>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here
>>>
>>> Csound mailing list [hidden email]
>>> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
>>> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
>>> be posted here

Re: [Csnd] vcv rack...

öh-2
I'm using these versions:

'msys2-x86_64-20161025.exe' downloaded from here:

http://www.msys2.org/ <http://www.msys2.org/>

I installed it following the instructions. I have compiled VCVRack, some VCV
modules, FFTW and Loris with it, otherwise I have not changed anything in
the default install.

'csound-windows-x64-6.10.0.exe' downloaded from here:

http://csound.com/download.html <http://csound.com/download.html>

(the usual windows '64bit Full Installer v6.10.0' binary installer)

which I believe is compiled with MSVC nowadays...

Googling around for 'libgcc_s_seh-1.dll', I found this:

https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/31316393/
<https://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/mailman/message/31316393/>

So I tried to add 'D:\msys64\mingw64\bin' (the location of
'libgcc_s_seh-1.dll' in my setup) to my Path environment variables. Now I
get this (after recompiling):

hidde@DESKTOP-TMULDDU MINGW64
/d/bibliotek/ljudprg/csound00/csoundAPI_examples/csoundAPI_examples-master/cpp
$ ./test
D:/bibliotek/ljudprg/csound00/csoundAPI_examples/csoundAPI_examples-master/cpp/test.exe:
error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No
such file or directory

@Rory:

The build version of VCVRack plugins is here by default:

'D:\msys64\home\your_name\Rack\plugins'

If the plugin is built succesfully you should have a 'plugin.dll' in the
plugin folder. 'make run' VCVRack and it should be listed in (right-click)
'Add module'. The msys terminal will also print which modules loads and
fails upon startup.

I have not found a log file for the build version of VCV. Instead, I have
the 'official' version installed (as per default) in 'C:\Program
Files\VCV\Rack'. This version uses 'C:\Users\hidde\Documents\Rack\plugins'
as plugins folder. The log can be found one step up, in the Rack folder. I
copy my compiled plugins here to verify that they work.

I also think it's very important that VCVRack version numbers match, you
should make sure you checkout build version 1.5.1 in the github tags, if the
plugin is supposed to run on the 'official' version 1.5.1.