Quantcast

[Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WiXound

[Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WiXound

AndreaS
Hi list,

testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic
keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.

Why?

Andrea S.

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WiXound

As much I know, the difference comes from the fact that CsoundQt uses Csound
as library via Csound API, WinXound is rather an editor that prepares your csd
and runs csound command with your saved csd as system process + displays
Csound output.

Thus CsoundQt takes care of catching keyboard events from its windows and
forwards them to running Csound instance via callback functions but WinXound
cannot do that since there is actually no connection in runtime (if I am
correct). You need to run Csound in terminal (cmd.exe) to make sensekey
function.

Take care!
tarmo

On reede, 21. aprill 2017 13:32.42 EEST you wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic
> keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.
>
> Why?
>
> Andrea S.

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WinXound and Cabbage64

AndreaS
Thank you very much, Tarmo, for the clarification!

Yes, in terminal it works, like in CsoundQt.

With Cabbage64 I have the impression that there's the same problem of
WinXound. It's true? Or is there a solution for catching keyboard events
of sensekey on Cabbage64?

I tested the example 06B02_sndloop.csd (Floss Manual Examples).

Il 21/04/2017 22:40, Tarmo Johannes ha scritto:

> Hi,
>
> As much I know, the difference comes from the fact that CsoundQt uses Csound
> as library via Csound API, WinXound is rather an editor that prepares your csd
> and runs csound command with your saved csd as system process + displays
> Csound output.
>
> Thus CsoundQt takes care of catching keyboard events from its windows and
> forwards them to running Csound instance via callback functions but WinXound
> cannot do that since there is actually no connection in runtime (if I am
> correct). You need to run Csound in terminal (cmd.exe) to make sensekey
> function.
>
> Take care!
> tarmo
>
> On reede, 21. aprill 2017 13:32.42 EEST you wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic
>> keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> Andrea S.

>>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
>          https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WinXound and Cabbage64

Tarmo Johannes-3

Rory,

if sensekey business is not there in Cabbage and you are thinking about it, in CsoundQt it is done by fucntion

CsoundEngine::keyEventCallback in csoundengine.cpp . The key events from editor, widgetpanel and console are forwarded there (if I remember it correctly).

in case of Cabbage I guess it would probably only work if the plugin window is in focus so I am not sure if that makes sense...

tarmo

On reede, 21. aprill 2017 23:48.54 EEST you wrote:

> Thank you very much, Tarmo, for the clarification!

> Yes, in terminal it works, like in CsoundQt.

> With Cabbage64 I have the impression that there's the same problem of

> WinXound. It's true? Or is there a solution for catching keyboard events

> of sensekey on Cabbage64?

> I tested the example 06B02_sndloop.csd (Floss Manual Examples).

> Il 21/04/2017 22:40, Tarmo Johannes ha scritto:

> > Hi,

> > As much I know, the difference comes from the fact that CsoundQt uses

> > Csound as library via Csound API, WinXound is rather an editor that

> > prepares your csd and runs csound command with your saved csd as system

> > process + displays Csound output.

> > Thus CsoundQt takes care of catching keyboard events from its windows and

> > forwards them to running Csound instance via callback functions but

> > WinXound cannot do that since there is actually no connection in runtime

> > (if I am correct). You need to run Csound in terminal (cmd.exe) to make

> > sensekey function.

> > Take care!

> > tarmo

> > On reede, 21. aprill 2017 13:32.42 EEST you wrote:

> >> Hi list,

> >> testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic

> >> keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.

> >> Why?

> >> Andrea S.

> >> Csound mailing list

> >> [hidden email]

> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> >> Send bugs reports to

> >> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WinXound and Cabbage64

rorywalsh
Tarmo, you are right. I did implement this in earlier versions of Cabbage, but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't work in vst hosts that steal the keystrokes, so i dropped support for it.

On 21 Apr 2017 23:58, "Tarmo Johannes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rory,

if sensekey business is not there in Cabbage and you are thinking about it, in CsoundQt it is done by fucntion

CsoundEngine::keyEventCallback in csoundengine.cpp . The key events from editor, widgetpanel and console are forwarded there (if I remember it correctly).

in case of Cabbage I guess it would probably only work if the plugin window is in focus so I am not sure if that makes sense...

tarmo

On reede, 21. aprill 2017 23:48.54 EEST you wrote:

> Thank you very much, Tarmo, for the clarification!

> Yes, in terminal it works, like in CsoundQt.

> With Cabbage64 I have the impression that there's the same problem of

> WinXound. It's true? Or is there a solution for catching keyboard events

> of sensekey on Cabbage64?

> I tested the example 06B02_sndloop.csd (Floss Manual Examples).

> Il 21/04/2017 22:40, Tarmo Johannes ha scritto:

> > Hi,

> > As much I know, the difference comes from the fact that CsoundQt uses

> > Csound as library via Csound API, WinXound is rather an editor that

> > prepares your csd and runs csound command with your saved csd as system

> > process + displays Csound output.

> > Thus CsoundQt takes care of catching keyboard events from its windows and

> > forwards them to running Csound instance via callback functions but

> > WinXound cannot do that since there is actually no connection in runtime

> > (if I am correct). You need to run Csound in terminal (cmd.exe) to make

> > sensekey function.

> > Take care!

> > tarmo

> > On reede, 21. aprill 2017 13:32.42 EEST you wrote:

> >> Hi list,

> >> testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic

> >> keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.

> >> Why?

> >> Andrea S.

> >> Csound mailing list

> >> [hidden email]

> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> >> Send bugs reports to

> >> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WinXound and Cabbage64

Arthur Hunkins
It would be useful to implement sensekey in standalone Cabbage for PC's I think. Sensekey in a variety of front ends (GUIs) would be a real plus.

Art Hunkins

On Fri, Apr 21, 2017 at 6:07 PM, Rory Walsh <[hidden email]> wrote:
Tarmo, you are right. I did implement this in earlier versions of Cabbage, but it quickly became apparent that it wouldn't work in vst hosts that steal the keystrokes, so i dropped support for it.

On 21 Apr 2017 23:58, "Tarmo Johannes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Rory,

if sensekey business is not there in Cabbage and you are thinking about it, in CsoundQt it is done by fucntion

CsoundEngine::keyEventCallback in csoundengine.cpp . The key events from editor, widgetpanel and console are forwarded there (if I remember it correctly).

in case of Cabbage I guess it would probably only work if the plugin window is in focus so I am not sure if that makes sense...

tarmo

On reede, 21. aprill 2017 23:48.54 EEST you wrote:

> Thank you very much, Tarmo, for the clarification!

> Yes, in terminal it works, like in CsoundQt.

> With Cabbage64 I have the impression that there's the same problem of

> WinXound. It's true? Or is there a solution for catching keyboard events

> of sensekey on Cabbage64?

> I tested the example 06B02_sndloop.csd (Floss Manual Examples).

> Il 21/04/2017 22:40, Tarmo Johannes ha scritto:

> > Hi,

> > As much I know, the difference comes from the fact that CsoundQt uses

> > Csound as library via Csound API, WinXound is rather an editor that

> > prepares your csd and runs csound command with your saved csd as system

> > process + displays Csound output.

> > Thus CsoundQt takes care of catching keyboard events from its windows and

> > forwards them to running Csound instance via callback functions but

> > WinXound cannot do that since there is actually no connection in runtime

> > (if I am correct). You need to run Csound in terminal (cmd.exe) to make

> > sensekey function.

> > Take care!

> > tarmo

> > On reede, 21. aprill 2017 13:32.42 EEST you wrote:

> >> Hi list,

> >> testing sensekey opcode in Windows 10, I see that the alphabetic

> >> keyboard is detected with CsoundQt, but not with WinXound.

> >> Why?

> >> Andrea S.

> >> Csound mailing list

> >> [hidden email]

> >> https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> >> Send bugs reports to

> >> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> >> Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> > Csound mailing list

> > [hidden email]

> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND

> > Send bugs reports to

> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] sensekey with Csoundqt and with WinXound and Cabbage64

AndreaS

I state that I'm no expert on API. Perhaps is possible to switch the catching device with the active window:

if the active window is output console or ddl window, the alphabetic keyboard evens are catched by csound running with .csd configuration;

if the active windows is virtual keyboard, the alphabetic keyboard evens are catched by csound running, but with specific configuration of virtual keyboard;

if the active windows is Cubase or other vst host window, the alphabetic keyboard evens are catched by Cubase or other vst host with specific configuration of Cubase etc.