[Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

[Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

fauveboy
sampler_two.csd
<http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
Hi

After previously using table to loop a sample (which was producing to many
artifacts) if decided to use flooper2 with is attached here. However,
doesn't successfully loop. It reports a segmentation fault. Im not sure what
this means, is it possible what is preventing the looping?

Many thanks

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

jpff
It crashes for me so what it means is a bug -- csound should not crash

For those who understand the code....

(gdb) where
#0  0x00007ffff7aba7e2 in flooper2_process (csound=<optimized out>,
p=0x82e020)
     at /home/jpff/csound6/Opcodes/sndloop.c:766
#1  0x00007ffff7931bf1 in kperf_nodebug (csound=0x6044a0)
     at /home/jpff/csound6/Top/csound.c:1711
#2  0x00007ffff79333f2 in csoundPerform (csound=csound@entry=0x6044a0)
     at /home/jpff/csound6/Top/csound.c:2226
#3  0x00000000004014bf in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fffffffdeb8)
     at /home/jpff/csound6/Frontends/csound/csound_main.c:326
(gdb) list
761             out[0] = 0;
762             tndx0 = (uint32) ndx[0];
763             frac0 = ndx[0] - tndx0;
764             if (ndx[0] < loop_end-crossfade) {
765               tndx0 *= nchnls;
766               out[0] = amp*(tab[tndx0] + frac0*(tab[tndx0+nchnls] -
tab[tndx0]));
767               if(onchnls == 2){
768                 tndx0 += 1;
769                 out[1] = amp*(tab[tndx0] + frac0*(tab[tndx0+nchnls] -
tab[tndx0]));
770               }
(gdb) print tndx0
$1 = 721402
(gdb) print tab
$2 = (double *) 0x7fffe1e48020

with my substituted input sound

Suggest moving discussions to csound-dev

On Fri, 11 May 2018, fauveboy wrote:

> sampler_two.csd
> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
> Hi
>
> After previously using table to loop a sample (which was producing to many
> artifacts) if decided to use flooper2 with is attached here. However,
> doesn't successfully loop. It reports a segmentation fault. Im not sure what
> this means, is it possible what is preventing the looping?
>
> Many thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Maybe the loop point is beyond the table length?

> On 11 May 2018, at 17:40, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> sampler_two.csd
> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
> Hi
>
> After previously using table to loop a sample (which was producing to many
> artifacts) if decided to use flooper2 with is attached here. However,
> doesn't successfully loop. It reports a segmentation fault. Im not sure what
> this means, is it possible what is preventing the looping?
>
> Many thanks
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Victor Lazzarini-2
Tried here with a .wav file I had and it worked fine. I am wondering whether your loop duration is the problem.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:14, Victor Lazzarini <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe the loop point is beyond the table length?
>
> Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University
> Ireland
>
>> On 11 May 2018, at 17:40, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> sampler_two.csd
>> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
>> Hi
>>
>> After previously using table to loop a sample (which was producing to many
>> artifacts) if decided to use flooper2 with is attached here. However,
>> doesn't successfully loop. It reports a segmentation fault. Im not sure what
>> this means, is it possible what is preventing the looping?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

fauveboy
Would there not just be silence before looping? Also surly ilength is the
precise size of the sample in seconds?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Victor Lazzarini-2
yes, the loop should be truncated to the table length if > the sound, and it happens here when I use a shorter sound.
I can’t get it to crash. Can you post your file for me to test?

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:23, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Would there not just be silence before looping? Also surly ilength is the
> precise size of the sample in seconds?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

No, it shouldn’t crash. I can’t make it crash here though.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:01, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It crashes for me so what it means is a bug -- csound should not crash
>
> For those who understand the code....
>
> (gdb) where
> #0  0x00007ffff7aba7e2 in flooper2_process (csound=<optimized out>, p=0x82e020)
>    at /home/jpff/csound6/Opcodes/sndloop.c:766
> #1  0x00007ffff7931bf1 in kperf_nodebug (csound=0x6044a0)
>    at /home/jpff/csound6/Top/csound.c:1711
> #2  0x00007ffff79333f2 in csoundPerform (csound=csound@entry=0x6044a0)
>    at /home/jpff/csound6/Top/csound.c:2226
> #3  0x00000000004014bf in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7fffffffdeb8)
>    at /home/jpff/csound6/Frontends/csound/csound_main.c:326
> (gdb) list
> 761             out[0] = 0;
> 762             tndx0 = (uint32) ndx[0];
> 763             frac0 = ndx[0] - tndx0;
> 764             if (ndx[0] < loop_end-crossfade) {
> 765               tndx0 *= nchnls;
> 766               out[0] = amp*(tab[tndx0] + frac0*(tab[tndx0+nchnls] - tab[tndx0]));
> 767               if(onchnls == 2){
> 768                 tndx0 += 1;
> 769                 out[1] = amp*(tab[tndx0] + frac0*(tab[tndx0+nchnls] - tab[tndx0]));
> 770               }
> (gdb) print tndx0
> $1 = 721402
> (gdb) print tab
> $2 = (double *) 0x7fffe1e48020
>
> with my substituted input sound
>
> Suggest moving discussions to csound-dev
>
> On Fri, 11 May 2018, fauveboy wrote:
>
>> sampler_two.csd
>> <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/sampler_two.csd>
>> Hi
>>
>> After previously using table to loop a sample (which was producing to many
>> artifacts) if decided to use flooper2 with is attached here. However,
>> doesn't successfully loop. It reports a segmentation fault. Im not sure what
>> this means, is it possible what is preventing the looping?
>>
>> Many thanks
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

yes, the loop should be truncated to the table length if > the sound, and it happens here when I use a shorter sound.
I can’t get it to crash. Can you post your file for me to test?

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:23, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Would there not just be silence before looping? Also surly ilength is the
> precise size of the sample in seconds?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

fauveboy
cunahani.aif <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/cunahani.aif>
The csd file is in the first post and heres the audio file.

Okay the loopend can be no longer than the table length. However, in the
code I've attached I've got the length of the audio in samples and then
divided that by the sample rate to get the length in seconds. This result
I've then tried to use as the loopend which shouldn't need truncating? and
so should loop?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Victor Lazzarini-2
The loop end can be longer, but it will be kept at the table length. I’ll try your file.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:50, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cunahani.aif <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/cunahani.aif>
> The csd file is in the first post and heres the audio file.
>
> Okay the loopend can be no longer than the table length. However, in the
> code I've attached I've got the length of the audio in samples and then
> divided that by the sample rate to get the length in seconds. This result
> I've then tried to use as the loopend which shouldn't need truncating? and
> so should loop?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

It doesn’t crash here. This is is with the latest Csound on Mac OSX.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:50, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cunahani.aif <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/cunahani.aif>
> The csd file is in the first post and heres the audio file.
>
> Okay the loopend can be no longer than the table length. However, in the
> code I've attached I've got the length of the audio in samples and then
> divided that by the sample rate to get the length in seconds. This result
> I've then tried to use as the loopend which shouldn't need truncating? and
> so should loop?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

actually I managed to make it crash now. Will look.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:50, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cunahani.aif <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/cunahani.aif>
> The csd file is in the first post and heres the audio file.
>
> Okay the loopend can be no longer than the table length. However, in the
> code I've attached I've got the length of the audio in samples and then
> divided that by the sample rate to get the length in seconds. This result
> I've then tried to use as the loopend which shouldn't need truncating? and
> so should loop?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

It seems the crash is to do with the loop > table length.

If you set

 kloopend = ilookup/(sr*2)

it works. (table is stereo, so needs to be divided by 2sr)

We’ll fix the crash anyway, but this is what you need.

> On 11 May 2018, at 18:50, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> cunahani.aif <http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/file/t339654/cunahani.aif>
> The csd file is in the first post and heres the audio file.
>
> Okay the loopend can be no longer than the table length. However, in the
> code I've attached I've got the length of the audio in samples and then
> divided that by the sample rate to get the length in seconds. This result
> I've then tried to use as the loopend which shouldn't need truncating? and
> so should loop?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

I substututed kitchen_test.aiff and it crashes easily...

On Fri, 11 May 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:

> yes, the loop should be truncated to the table length if > the sound, and it happens here when I use a shorter sound.
> I can’t get it to crash. Can you post your file for me to test?
> ========================
> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
> Maynooth University,
> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
> Tel: 00 353 7086936
> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>
>> On 11 May 2018, at 18:23, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Would there not just be silence before looping? Also surly ilength is the
>> precise size of the sample in seconds?
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Victor Lazzarini-2
It’s to do with (1) stereo files (2) loop longer than table duration. I think it’s a fencepost issue; code works correctly with mono files,
so I guess there’s a check that is not corrected for stereo.

> On 11 May 2018, at 19:38, jpff <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I substututed kitchen_test.aiff and it crashes easily...
>

>> On Fri, 11 May 2018, Victor Lazzarini wrote:
>>
>> yes, the loop should be truncated to the table length if > the sound, and it happens here when I use a shorter sound.
>> I can’t get it to crash. Can you post your file for me to test?
>> ========================
>> Prof. Victor Lazzarini
>> Dean of Arts, Celtic Studies, and Philosophy,
>> Maynooth University,
>> Maynooth, Co Kildare, Ireland
>> Tel: 00 353 7086936
>> Fax: 00 353 1 7086952
>>
>>> On 11 May 2018, at 18:23, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Would there not just be silence before looping? Also surly ilength is the
>>> precise size of the sample in seconds?
>>>

>>> --
>>> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

>>> Send bugs reports to
>>>      https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

>       https://github.com/csound/csound/issues

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

fauveboy
it works! and that makes as there are two channels to consider. Was this not
what was causing the crash? Is that down to a different issue?

--
Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Victor Lazzarini-2
The crash is to do with the loop being longer than the table. The check is not working correctly for stereo files.

> On 11 May 2018, at 19:54, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> it works! and that makes as there are two channels to consider. Was this not
> what was causing the crash? Is that down to a different issue?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Fix committed to git. It should not crash in any circumstance now. Will
be in the next release.

For the moment, if you keep your loop end < table size, then you
should be OK.

> On 11 May 2018, at 19:54, fauveboy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> it works! and that makes as there are two channels to consider. Was this not
> what was causing the crash? Is that down to a different issue?
>

> --
> Sent from: http://csound.1045644.n5.nabble.com/Csound-General-f1093014.html

Re: [Csnd] segmentation fault, flooper 2 not looping?

Doctor B
excellent.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book