[Csnd] rtaudio

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Hi,

it has been some times since I rendered on the command line, but now it seems I need to specify -+rtaudio="mme" to enable audio out to dac. Is this by design, or something odd with my system?
Tested on 6.11, and also on 6.10

Not really a problem to add this option in my files, but would allow for better crossplatform csds if it could be avoided.

all best

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

jpff
Not sure if/when this changed but the default would seem to be PortAudio
except on Linux where it is alsa.

That is from just reading the code as I set rtaudio in .csiund6rc so do ot
use any default.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:

> Hi,
> it has been some times since I rendered on the command line, but now it seems
> I need to specify -+rtaudio="mme" to enable audio out to dac. Is this by
> design, or something odd with my system?
> Tested on 6.11, and also on 6.10
>
> Not really a problem to add this option in my files, but would allow for
> better crossplatform csds if it could be avoided.
>
> all best
> Oeyvind
>
> --
>
> Oeyvind Brandtsegg
> Professor of Music Technology
> NTNU
> 7491 Trondheim
> Norway
> Cell: +47 92 203 205
>
> http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> http://flyndresang.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/t-emp

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3
Actually,
if I use -odac without any rtaudio option, it says
rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ...
so you are correct,
but I get no sound, and no list if audio devices.
I tried using -odac99 to provoke an error and geet the list of devies that portaudio can access, but nothing appears.
Csound keeps working for the duration of the score, so some kind of realtime processing is going on, but it is a mystery where the sound goes.
If I use -+rtaudio"mme" I get the sound and also the list of audio devices. Just not with portaudio.

Den tor. 23. aug. 2018 kl. 17:54 skrev jpff <[hidden email]>:
Not sure if/when this changed but the default would seem to be PortAudio
except on Linux where it is alsa.

That is from just reading the code as I set rtaudio in .csiund6rc so do ot
use any default.

On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:

> Hi,
> it has been some times since I rendered on the command line, but now it seems
> I need to specify -+rtaudio="mme" to enable audio out to dac. Is this by
> design, or something odd with my system?
> Tested on 6.11, and also on 6.10
>
> Not really a problem to add this option in my files, but would allow for
> better crossplatform csds if it could be avoided.
>
> all best
> Oeyvind
>
> --
>
> Oeyvind Brandtsegg
> Professor of Music Technology
> NTNU
> 7491 Trondheim
> Norway
> Cell: +47 92 203 205
>
> http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> http://flyndresang.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/t-emp

> https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

Victor Lazzarini-2
Looks like a problem with portaudio on your system. MME is the old windows audio subsystem, which would
give you high latency.

> On 24 Aug 2018, at 12:18, Oeyvind Brandtsegg <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Actually,
> if I use -odac without any rtaudio option, it says
> rtaudio: PortAudio module enabled ...
> so you are correct,
> but I get no sound, and no list if audio devices.
> I tried using -odac99 to provoke an error and geet the list of devies that portaudio can access, but nothing appears.
> Csound keeps working for the duration of the score, so some kind of realtime processing is going on, but it is a mystery where the sound goes.
> If I use -+rtaudio"mme" I get the sound and also the list of audio devices. Just not with portaudio.
>

> Den tor. 23. aug. 2018 kl. 17:54 skrev jpff <[hidden email]>:
> Not sure if/when this changed but the default would seem to be PortAudio
> except on Linux where it is alsa.
>
> That is from just reading the code as I set rtaudio in .csiund6rc so do ot
> use any default.
>

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2018, Oeyvind Brandtsegg wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > it has been some times since I rendered on the command line, but now it seems
> > I need to specify -+rtaudio="mme" to enable audio out to dac. Is this by
> > design, or something odd with my system?
> > Tested on 6.11, and also on 6.10
> >
> > Not really a problem to add this option in my files, but would allow for
> > better crossplatform csds if it could be avoided.
> >
> > all best
> > Oeyvind
> >
> > --
> >
> > Oeyvind Brandtsegg
> > Professor of Music Technology
> > NTNU
> > 7491 Trondheim
> > Norway
> > Cell: +47 92 203 205
> >
> > http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> > http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> > http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> > http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> > http://flyndresang.no/
> > http://soundcloud.com/t-emp
> >
> > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
> > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> > be posted here

> Oeyvind Brandtsegg
> Professor of Music Technology
> NTNU
> 7491 Trondheim
> Norway
> Cell: +47 92 203 205
>
> http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> http://flyndresang.no/
> http://soundcloud.com/t-emp

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

Steven Yi
I have a Windows computer where I just did a fresh install of
dependencies and compiled Csound.  It's using Portaudio and working
okay.

Oeyvind: Is this a self-compile or are you using one built on
AppVeyor? (or a release build?)
On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM Victor Lazzarini
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Professor of Music Technology
> > > NTNU
> > > 7491 Trondheim
> > > Norway
> > > Cell: +47 92 203 205
> > >
> > > http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> > > http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> > > http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> > > http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> > > http://flyndresang.no/
> > > http://soundcloud.com/t-emp
> > >
> > > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
> > > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> > > be posted here
> > >

> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

Oeyvind Brandtsegg-3

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > > Professor of Music Technology
> > > NTNU
> > > 7491 Trondheim
> > > Norway
> > > Cell: +47 92 203 205
> > >
> > > http://www.partikkelaudio.com/
> > > http://crossadaptive.hf.ntnu.no
> > > http://gdsp.hf.ntnu.no/
> > > http://soundcloud.com/brandtsegg
> > > http://flyndresang.no/
> > > http://soundcloud.com/t-emp
> > >
> > > Csound mailing list [hidden email]
> > > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND Send bugs reports to
> > > https://github.com/csound/csound/issues Discussions of bugs and features can
> > > be posted here
> > >

> > Csound mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://listserv.heanet.ie/cgi-bin/wa?A0=CSOUND
> > Send bugs reports to
> >         https://github.com/csound/csound/issues
> > Discussions of bugs and features can be posted here

Re: [Csnd] rtaudio

Steven Yi
6.10 and 6.11 both were compiled with MSVC rather than MINGW. I'm
wondering if you by chance installed over a previous < 6.10 install
and if there's some mixing of dll's?

One thing to check is what you get when running:

csound --devices

It could be that the device you are using is not the one you are
expecting?  This happens to me when an ASIO device gets selected and
ASIO4ALL is set to output to something like "Speakers" which isn't
hooked up at the moment.  (That sounds strange, but seems to be what I
remember happening.)

If that doesn't provide any new information, you could try:

1. Removing csound completely and reinstalling from the 6.11 installer
2. Try using one of the newer develop builds on AppVeyor, such as at:

https://ci.appveyor.com/project/csound/csound/build/6.11.1918/artifacts