[Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

[Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

Mauro Giubileo

Hi, I know there exists a "c2r" opcode to get only the "real" part from an array arranged in interleaved (real, imaginary) format. But what if I want only the "imaginary" part? No native opcode for that?

Best Regards,
Mauro

Re: [Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

genell
Maybe you could use the phs opcode in combination with abs and pol2rect or something to extract it?

Regards,
Anders

2 okt. 2018 kl. 13:05 skrev Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]>:

Hi, I know there exists a "c2r" opcode to get only the "real" part from an array arranged in interleaved (real, imaginary) format. But what if I want only the "imaginary" part? No native opcode for that?

Best Regards,
Mauro

Re: [Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

Mauro Giubileo

Mmmh... I think it's doable, but I hoped for something much simpler and rapid like:

kRe[] c2r kComplexArray  ; c2r exists :-)
kIm[] c2i kComplexArray  ; c2i doesn't exist :-(

Or maybe, in just one opcode:

kRe[], kIm[] c2ri kComplexArray

I think I can make an UDO that does that, but it woud be nice if it was a native opcode.

Regards,
Mauro

Il 2018-10-02 13:15 Anders Genell ha scritto:

Maybe you could use the phs opcode in combination with abs and pol2rect or something to extract it?

Regards,
Anders

2 okt. 2018 kl. 13:05 skrev Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]>:

Hi, I know there exists a "c2r" opcode to get only the "real" part from an array arranged in interleaved (real, imaginary) format. But what if I want only the "imaginary" part? No native opcode for that?

Best Regards,
Mauro

Re: [Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

Victor Lazzarini-2
That’s easily done.

But more generally we should have an interleave/deinterleave pair to do this. For
all uses.

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 14:17, Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Mmmh... I think it's doable, but I hoped for something much simpler and rapid like:
>
> kRe[] c2r kComplexArray  ; c2r exists :-)
> kIm[] c2i kComplexArray  ; c2i doesn't exist :-(
>
> Or maybe, in just one opcode:
>
> kRe[], kIm[] c2ri kComplexArray
>
> I think I can make an UDO that does that, but it woud be nice if it was a native opcode.
>
> Regards,
> Mauro
>

> Il 2018-10-02 13:15 Anders Genell ha scritto:
>

>> Maybe you could use the phs opcode in combination with abs and pol2rect or something to extract it?
>>
>> Regards,
>> Anders
>>
>> 2 okt. 2018 kl. 13:05 skrev Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi, I know there exists a "c2r" opcode to get only the "real" part from an array arranged in interleaved (real, imaginary) format. But what if I want only the "imaginary" part? No native opcode for that?
>>>
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Mauro

Re: [Csnd] return imaginary part from an array of complex numbers

genell
Yes, I agree it would be fitting to have a native opcode for the imaginary part and it would be nicely symmetric to the real part opcode.
But until then something like this might work (untested)? I don't know if you need brackets for kPhs inside the sin expression to clarify its array nature...

kPhs[] phs kComplexArray
kMags[] mags kComplexArray
kImag[] = kMags * sin(kPhs)

Regards,
Anders

On Tue, Oct 2, 2018 at 3:17 PM Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Something like:

kCmplx[]     ri2c  kRe[], kIm[]   ; real and imaginary arrays -> interleaved array
kRe[], kIm[] c2ri  kCmplx[]       ; interleaved array -> real and imaginary arrays

Regards,
Mauro

Il 2018-10-02 16:43 Victor Lazzarini ha scritto:

[...]

Ah. I didn’t realize there was a particular format...
Does Csound handle any other kind of complex number format?

Regards,
Anders

2 okt. 2018 kl. 20:35 skrev Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]>:

[...]

The interleave and deinterleave opcodes are up in git now

k/ivar[] interleave k/ivar1[],k/ivar2[]
k/ivar1[], k/ivar2[] deinterleave k/ivar[]

> On 2 Oct 2018, at 19:49, Anders Genell <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ah. I didn’t realize there was a particular format...
> Does Csound handle any other kind of complex number format?
>
> Regards,
> Anders
>
> 2 okt. 2018 kl. 20:35 skrev Mauro Giubileo <[hidden email]>:
>
>> No, there is no need for the [] in the right side of the expression. Your code might work but 'mags' and 'phs' opcodes require the complex array to be in a particular format returned by the rfft opcode.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mauro
>>

>> Il 2018-10-02 16:51 Anders Genell ha scritto:
>>
>>> Yes, I agree it would be fitting to have a native opcode for the imaginary part and it would be nicely symmetric to the real part opcode.
>>> But until then something like this might work (untested)? I don't know if you need brackets for kPhs inside the sin expression to clarify its array nature...
>>>
>>> kPhs[] phs kComplexArray
>>> kMags[] mags kComplexArray