Quantcast

[Csnd] ornament UDO and demo

thorin kerr
For Joachim Heintz, and list,

So, I was going to share the 'ornament' UDO I use in that short live coding video, when I realised embedded in it were a bunch of other UDO's as well.

So... in the attached CSD I've cobbled together a cut-down version of my live code library. You actually don't need to live code with it. It's all just Csound UDO's which of course you can use anywhere.

You'll find the 'ornament' UDO at around line 440. Sorry, there are lots of overloaded 'versions' of the opcode to handle variable numbers of args.

The idea is that you use an array full of score event parameters (i.e. array(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5)), and then the other array arguments in the UDO specify how to generate a pattern of events based on that 'original' score event.

I also included a demo of 'ornament' at the bottom of the CSD, (from line 941). That should begin playing as soon as you run it with Csound.

There are a few other goodies in the library you may want to try. I haven't documented it well, so feel free to ask.

There are also some concepts in there around timing, and tuning which might seem a little idiosyncratic. Again, happy to explain.

Oh... and... I think this will only work in Csound 6.08 (or later).
Let me know if it crashes horribly.

Thorin

LivecodeLib.csd (38K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] ornament UDO and demo

Steven Yi
Love it, thanks for sharing!  It's neat to see a lot of common
functions show up in different people's systems for live coding.
There's also a lot of variations of UDOs here; it points to places
where we can make improvements to the Csound language, IMO.  (i.e.,
having map, reduce, apply operations...)

Lots to study in this, thanks again!
steven

On Tue, Feb 21, 2017 at 11:35 AM, thorin kerr <[hidden email]> wrote:

> For Joachim Heintz, and list,
>
> So, I was going to share the 'ornament' UDO I use in that short live coding
> video, when I realised embedded in it were a bunch of other UDO's as well.
>
> So... in the attached CSD I've cobbled together a cut-down version of my
> live code library. You actually don't need to live code with it. It's all
> just Csound UDO's which of course you can use anywhere.
>
> You'll find the 'ornament' UDO at around line 440. Sorry, there are lots of
> overloaded 'versions' of the opcode to handle variable numbers of args.
>
> The idea is that you use an array full of score event parameters (i.e.
> array(p1, p2, p3, p4, p5)), and then the other array arguments in the UDO
> specify how to generate a pattern of events based on that 'original' score
> event.
>
> I also included a demo of 'ornament' at the bottom of the CSD, (from line
> 941). That should begin playing as soon as you run it with Csound.
>
> There are a few other goodies in the library you may want to try. I haven't
> documented it well, so feel free to ask.
>
> There are also some concepts in there around timing, and tuning which might
> seem a little idiosyncratic. Again, happy to explain.
>
> Oh... and... I think this will only work in Csound 6.08 (or later).
> Let me know if it crashes horribly.
>
> Thorin

Re: [Csnd] ornament UDO and demo

joachim-3