[Csnd] introduction to modern csound

joachim-3
i had a talk last week at the ICST (institute for computer music and
sound technology) zurich, switzerland.  i tried to show some features of
csound today, starting from a simple click, and arriving after say
twenty minutes at something which starts to become interesting.

i have commented the code, so i hope that everyone can read and execute it.

the first instruments are plain csound; the last ones are for csoundqt.

the particpants enjoyed the functional syntax.  so i used it, although i
must say that personally i cannot see why

        aSig = poscil:a(.2,400)

is preferable to

        aSig poscil .2, 400

i like the latter more, as it has less parentheses, and is in the same
logic as

        x = 2

but as i said, the participants were more happy when reading functional
style, and my job was to make them as happy as possible =)

perhaps it is useful for someone.  comments and corrections welcome.

        joachim

zurich_180403.csd (23K) Download Attachment

Re: [Csnd] introduction to modern csound

Doctor B
Joachim,

Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful "ZurichLecture.csd".
Clear, brilliant, informative, and inspiring.  I can't wait to share it with my students!

Dr.B.

Dr. Richard Boulanger
Professor of Electronic Production and Design
Professional Writing and Music Technology Division
Berklee College of Music
President of Boulanger Labs - http://boulangerlabs.com
Author & Editor of The Csound Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/csound-book
Author & Editor of The Audio Programming Book - http://mitpress.mit.edu/books/audio-programming-book
about:
http://www.boulangerlabs.com/#about
about: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/
music: http://www.csounds.com/community/developers/dr-richard-boulanger/dr-richard-boulanger-music/

email: [hidden email]
facebook: https://www.facebook.com/richard.boulanger.58

On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 8:35 AM, joachim heintz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Oscar Pablo Di Liscia

Most clear and enlighting. I will share it with my students.
Many thanks for sharing this great resource Joachim!
As for the  c style functionallity i just agree you in the
simplicity and clarity of the "earlier" Csound style, though I admit that
the "modern" style is probably more easily readable by
people that are learning Csound now and have some
background in C programming.
Having both...is good for all of us, then.
:)
Best

[...]

Dr. Oscar Pablo Di Liscia
Profesor Titular
Director Programa de Investigación "Sistemas Temporales y Síntesis Espacial de Sonido en el Arte Sonoro"
Escuela Universitaria de Artes
Universidad Nacional de Quilmes
Argentina

Re: [Csnd] introduction to modern csound

Thanks a lot for sharing!

Very nice and followable examples and really good and human-friendly start to
get to do something!

Tarmo