[Csnd] graphic tool for csound api use

forrest
I'm finding this stuff very useful for working up a program to run a csound instance via the api while receiving midi input and sending it the (possibly delayed, repeated, otherwise-modified) results, a problem that was up till now too complex for this bear of little brain...

http://drakon-editor.sourceforge.net/DRAKON.pdf

[The gist of the csd file is that it's getting note-ons sent to (say, for midi note 67) instr 5.67 and note-offs to instr 4:
instr 4
kinst = 5 + p4/100
turnoff2 kinst, 4, .01
endin]

Guts of the thing so far:

Re: [Csnd] graphic tool for csound api use

zappfinger

Interesting. Just glanced over it. My first impression is that it looks like introducing flow charts again.
I am a strong advocate of not using slow charts (another translation layer, this possibly introducing errors)
Structured English is my favourite low level design tool:
1) although it should not resemble actual syntax, it can be directly translated to code
2) structured text (another name for it) can and should be used as comment in the actual program, thus showing the relation with the design
3) one line of structured text typically translates to 3 to 6  lines of actual code

Richard

On 06/03/17 18:56, Forrest Curo wrote:
I'm finding this stuff very useful for working up a program to run a csound instance via the api while receiving midi input and sending it the (possibly delayed, repeated, otherwise-modified) results, a problem that was up till now too complex for this bear of little brain...

http://drakon-editor.sourceforge.net/DRAKON.pdf

[The gist of the csd file is that it's getting note-ons sent to (say, for midi note 67) instr 5.67 and note-offs to instr 4:
instr 4
kinst = 5 + p4/100
turnoff2 kinst, 4, .01
endin]

Guts of the thing so far:

Re: [Csnd] graphic tool for csound api use

forrest
Advantages over traditional flow charts: more human-readable design constraints (as the guy explains in the linked article) and the fact that the editor turns .drn files directly into (c, python, various other alternatives so far) code. [I'd have sent the drn files rather than these pictures , except that the files aren't intelligible without the editior.]

Comments normally go in the thick-lined black boxes, pretty easily recognizable as such. Pseudo-code could go there, if needed -- but the design itself is directly apparent from a few simple principles: generally straight down or straight left-to-right, arrows only used for exceptions to that. Nesting of loops clear in a way that written code doesn't quite do for human eyes.

All I know is that I'd been floundering in complexities... and this gave me a way to map them, without needing to translate the map to code by hand.