[Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

[Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

luis antunes pena-4
Dear all,
running a simple instrument with the -Ma flag I have the following error:

(...)
midi channel 15 using instr 1
midi channel 16 using instr 1
displays suppressed
0dBFS level = 32768.0
error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module
 *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)
inactive allocs returned to freespace
end of score.           overall amps:      0.0      0.0
       overall samples out of range:        0        0
1 errors in performance

I have two devices connected appearing correctly in the midi setup of the computer. This used to work well before. So I have no idea what is the problem. Apparently csound is looking for a port that doesn't exist. Below I copied a test file I'm using. I'm on OSX10.12.6 and csound 6.11 (double samples) May 11 2018.

Thank you in advance for any help,
Luís

<CsoundSynthesizer>
<CsOptions>
-m0 -d -Ma -odac
</CsOptions>
<CsInstruments>
; global variables
sr = 44100
ksmps = 128
nchnls = 2
;-----------------
; more global variables
;--------------
gkstatus    init    0
gkchan    init     0
gkdata1    init    0
gkdata2    init    0

;-------- instruments -------

</CsInstruments>
<CsScore>
;f1 0 512 10 1
i    1    0    60000

</CsScore>

</CsoundSynthesizer>

http://luisantunespena.eu
http://sumtone.com

Re: [Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

Jeanette C.
Hi Luis,
Aug 20 2018, luis antunes pena has written:
> *error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module**
> ** *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)**
> *inactive allocs returned to freespace
Sorry if the following is too simple and stupid:
I didn't see the -+rtmidi option anywhere, but shouldn't it be:
-+rtmidi=portmidi
without the single quotes?
Have you tried to give a specific device to the -M option, instead of a
(for all?)?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
  * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

luis antunes pena-4
Hi Jeanette,
the thing is that I didn't wrote this  -+rtmidi='portmidi' as a flag anywhere. So I have no idea where csound found this.
I also tried with -M1 , -M0 and so on with no sucess.
Thanks,
Luís

Am 20.08.18 um 17:12 schrieb Jeanette C.:
Hi Luis,
Aug 20 2018, luis antunes pena has written:
*error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module**
** *** error opening MIDI in device: -1 (Unknown MIDI error)**
*inactive allocs returned to freespace
Sorry if the following is too simple and stupid:
I didn't see the -+rtmidi option anywhere, but shouldn't it be:
-+rtmidi=portmidi
without the single quotes?
Have you tried to give a specific device to the -M option, instead of a
(for all?)?

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------
 * GitHub: https://github.com/jeanette-c

I'm so curious, what do you think of me <3
(Britney Spears)

Re: [Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

jpff
I suspect you hit this code
     if (csound->enableHostImplementedMIDIIO == 0)
#ifndef LINUX
     strcpy(s, "portmidi");
#else
     strcpy(s, "alsa");
#endif
     else strcpy(s, "hostbased");

     csoundCreateConfigurationVariable(csound, "rtmidi", s,
CSOUNDCFG_STRING,
                                       0, NULL, &max_len,
                                       Str("Real time MIDI module name"),
NULL);

which sets up the midi driver, and its defalts.  As you have not said
which driver you want you get the default, which is portmidi on OSX

Not being a OSX user I am not sure which driver you want but try
-+rtmidi=cmidi

OSX users will corect/confirm

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, luis antunes pena wrote:

> Hi Jeanette,
> the thing is that I didn't wrote this  -+rtmidi='portmidi' as a flag anywhere.
> So I have no idea where csound found this.
> I also tried with -M1 , -M0 and so on with no sucess.
> Thanks,
> Luís

Re: [Csnd] error: -+rtmidi='portmidi': unknown module

luis antunes pena-4
-+rtmidi=cmidi doesn't work either. OSX uses portmidi as default, I think.
I now returned to csound version 6.10 and the error disapeared. It seams like in version 6.11 something was changed.
Let me know if you need me to test something for debugging.
Best,
Luís

Am 20.08.18 um 17:43 schrieb jpff:
[...]

yes, I checked this and there was a linking issue with portmidi. I have updated the OSX 6.11 installer to fix this issue.